It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Question Re: Fractured Calcaneus

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-17-2004, 09:35 AM   #1
    click1

click1 HB User
    Question Question Re: Fractured Calcaneus

Hi List,
    Has anyone out there had a multi fragment calcaneus fracture that did not undergo open reduction internal fixation surgery? I have been doing some serious research on my injury (like most you in a similar position as me) and have read that a surgeon might elect to wait 18 - 24 months before going in a reconstructing what he / she can. Is this right? Last question would be how does a bone growth stimulator work? And will it work with multiple fragment fractures?
    Thanks for any input you may have.
    Chris

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2004, 05:15 AM   #2
    tchair
    (male)

tchair HB Usertchair HB Usertchair HB Usertchair HB User
    Re: Question Re: Fractured Calcaneus

Chris,

I had fixation, but recall my doc saying that in some cases they can externally manipulate the pieces into place for proper healing and no surgery is needed at all.

Old 04-18-2004, 09:57 AM   #3
    click1

click1 HB User

Hi Tchair,
    Thanks for th responce. How is your foot doing now? After fixation did you start with rehab after the wound (surgery location) healed or were you in a cast until the bone healed?
    Chris

Old 04-19-2004, 07:05 AM   #4
    tchair
    (male)

tchair HB Usertchair HB Usertchair HB Usertchair HB User

Now my foot gives few problems. The approximate schedule was a month no activity, one month non wieght bearing PT (Physical Therapy) with the therapist coming to my home three times a week. Then PT at a clinic three times a week with wieght bearing after the first month.
    They took the original cast and cut it in half then attached Velcro straps so it could be removed at will. They called it a 'bivalve' cast. They removed it for the surgery then put it back on. I took it off during PT sessions. I guess that having the pieces screwed together makes the cast less vital.

There are some people who more recently went through the procedure who posted here. Take a look back a few pages or try the search feature in the uppermost blue line on this page. I mostly check this board because there was no one with information for me then and I don't want anyone else in that boat. So I'll answer what I am able.

Old 04-19-2004, 08:05 AM   #5
    click1

click1 HB User

Thanks for the reply and info tchair. I appreciate you still checking the boards. I see the surgeon on Weds. morning to discuss how I should proceed with my injury.
    Chris

Old 04-19-2004, 05:00 PM   #6
    Paula B
    (female)

Paula B HB User

Hi Chris,
    A year ago today I fractured my calcaneous, had surgery a week later (ORIF). After almost 10 months I was still having problems with pain and swelling...lots of pain. I went for a second and actually a third opinion and 3 weeks ago I had surgery again to once again go in and fine tune the calcaneous. When the surgeon got in there she found out why I was having so much pain. Tendons were wrapped around the hardware that was put in, my foot did not lay flat, muscles were attached to nothing, and one of the screws was hitting my tibia bone. I'll know in a few months how this surgery helped. This time I do have a lot of odd pains. The doctor told me that they are probably within the nerves. It does help to do research...the more you teach yourself about your condition the more you understand. Good luck! Did you ever realize this fracture would cause so much aggravation? I honestly think that people that I work with feel that I am faking...just playing this up to get time off from work. As a matter of fact someone today said they know how I feel. A friend's husband broke his ankle and was on crutches for 4 weeks. A broken ankle does not even compare to a shattered calcaneous, but who would know unless it happened to them. Good luck at the doctor's. Paula
    P.S. I just realized that I have already said lots of this info to you already in another post. Sorry for rambling and repeating. And by the way...you have all the right in the world to be scared about this...it helps to know that you are not alone.

Last edited by Paula B; 04-19-2004 at 05:08 PM.

Old 04-19-2004, 07:38 PM   #7
    click1

click1 HB User

Hi Paula,
    Thanks for the reply and the support. I am very happy that I found this site and even happier that only a few that visit this site have experienced this injury. If I would have had the slightest idea about this injury I would have been much more cautious in high places. You were operated on within 7 days? Was it an open fracture? Were there multi fragments? It must have been pretty bad to go in so quickly. I have had my fracture over a month and am finally talking with the surgeon. I cannot wait to get this guys opinion. This is by far the worst bone that you can break (aside from your spine). I totally agree that only few can come close to relating to this injury and those who try have no idea. I ride around for 10 hours a day in my little red cart and run a poolside restaurant. People love to joke with me about it and tell me that I am going to get so used to the cart I wont want to walk again. I tell them I would gladly trade my cart for their foot. When they kid with me and say that I should milk it as long as I can I explain in detail what I know about it and that usually quiets them a bit. Have you read or heard about anyone that has come out of this well? I am getting ready to sell my tennis rackets, hiking gear and motorcycle. At this point I just pray I can stand and walk again. The research I have done has really left me wondering. When healthy I work three jobs (all on my feet), have two flat coated retrievers and am restoring a house by myself. This is by far the most aggravating thing that has ever happened to me. I really hope I get some back. It is really nice to talk with someone who knows. I hope to hear from you soon and I hope your latest surgery does the trick.
    Thanks again,
    Chris

Old 04-20-2004, 07:25 AM   #8
    Paula B
    (female)

Paula B HB User

Hi Chris,
    When I fell I not only shattered my calcaneous, but I fractured my pelvis as well. My surgery was 9 hours long because both areas were dealt with at the same time. It was either one lengthy surgery or two shorter ones. I absolutely hate being put out and I stress about it and make myself sick over it so the one long surgery was the best way for me to go. I requested a copy of the operative report so I know exactlt what they did to me. It is amazing what doctors are able to do. My break was internal, but my surgeon said that the bones were so shattered it was hard to put things back together again. My pelvis healed pretty well thank God. I really do not know of anyone personally who has fractured their calcaneous...only what I have researched. Some have been able to walk again...some even without pain..it all depends naturally upon the severity of the break. Sometimes I try to imagine what it was like to walk without pain. Everyone takes walking for granted. Until something is taken away from you,,you don't realize how precious it is. At least you were able to try to go back to work...Kudos! I am an elementary teacher who mostly deals with special ed kids. I have been out of work since my accident happened last April. Before I had this second surgery 3 weeks ago I was able to walk, but after being on my feet for maybe an hour that was it....I was confined to the couch with an ice pack on my foot. Here I go rambling again but it feels so good to be able to talk to someone who understands. Please let me know how you make out with your surgeon. Paula

Old 04-20-2004, 07:41 AM   #9
    kfs333

kfs333 HB User

My injury was quite different, I didn't break my calcaneous, I just tore all of the ligaments that connected it to the talus. There was a discussion of having a subtalar fusion, but when my podiatrist did a stress test on my anke he found that not only was my subtalar joint was unstable but so was my ankle. He went for an ankle reconstruction with a tendon augmentation, but if this fails then I will have to have a double subtalar fusion.

I do hope you heal ok without surgery.

Old 06-17-2004, 07:28 AM   #10
    jfarrell

jfarrell HB User

Hi - I have been doing much research as well. I recommend reading a study by a doctor at University of Pennsylvania - search his name - Dr. Enyi Okereke - and you should find the study regarding mobilizing vs. non-mobilizing - maybe this will help

Joe

Old 06-18-2004, 10:49 AM   #11
    mwagner

mwagner HB User

I just found this web site and am very thankful for any information I can get on mt broken calcaneous (right foot).

I am 47 years old, broke my calcaneous in a fall on Sep 6, 2003. I had a plate and 10 screws implanted which repaired the bone. But I have had pain and limping ever since.

The doctor took out the hardware last week but noticed much cartilege damage on the subtailer joint. He is now recommending a fusion of this joint.

I do not know what to do - I dread another long recovery. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Matt

Closed Thread