It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• 12 Weeks Post-Op Fusion

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-26-2004, 01:20 PM   #1
    eko
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

eko HB Usereko HB User
    12 Weeks Post-Op Fusion

Today I had my twelve week post-op appointment regarding my fusion. The position of the toe is where he wanted it and the fusion is 100% complete. I will continue to have some swelling for awhile. I also can wear any shoe I want, but am restricted to a heel height of 1". I was so excited, that during lunch today I went and bought a new pair of shoes for work. Keep in mind I have worn nothing but surgical or tennis shoes for 9 long months.

I will be having 4 weeks of PT to help with the flexability and strength of my ankle (I had ankle surgery 9 months ago and never had a chance to walk on it correctly).

It has been a long journey, but I am on my way back!

Last edited by eko; 05-26-2004 at 05:16 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2004, 02:11 PM   #2
    susieblueyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

susieblueyes HB User
    Re: 12 Weeks Post-Op Fusion

EKO,
    Great news! I'm so happy for you.
    Sue

Old 05-26-2004, 05:46 PM   #3
    kfs333

kfs333 HB User

I know you'll be happy. I'm restricted to tennis shoes for the rest of my life which doesn't bother me one bit.

Old 05-26-2004, 10:00 PM   #4
    jdm

jdm HB User

Ellen,
    Yeah! I am so excited for you. That is great news. I will be curious to hear how your physical therapy goes. I go back to my podiatrist tomorrow for a last check up regarding my infection. Then next Tuesday I go see the surgeon for my update on my fusion. I am hoping for "real shoes" soon.

Good luck with P.T. and keep me posted on your progress.

Jennie

Old 06-03-2004, 04:14 PM   #5
    taylor2000

taylor2000 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eko
    Today I had my twelve week post-op appointment regarding my fusion. The position of the toe is where he wanted it and the fusion is 100% complete. I will continue to have some swelling for awhile. I also can wear any shoe I want, but am restricted to a heel height of 1". I was so excited, that during lunch today I went and bought a new pair of shoes for work. Keep in mind I have worn nothing but surgical or tennis shoes for 9 long months.

I will be having 4 weeks of PT to help with the flexability and strength of my ankle (I had ankle surgery 9 months ago and never had a chance to walk on it correctly).

It has been a long journey, but I am on my way back!
    I'm awaiting approval to have "salvage" surgery done to correct 2 botched foot surgeries (both sesemoids removed and now hammertoe in great toe has formed). After being unable to find a dr. in DC who can refer me to their success story patients, I feel that Mayo may be my best resource. Anyone had good/bad results with Mayo? Am I being naive about thinking they are "the best" in the business? Your thoughts please. thanks, jojo

Old 06-03-2004, 05:24 PM   #6
    eko
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

eko HB Usereko HB User

Yes, I think you are being naive in thinking Mayo would have the best in the business. There has to be some qualified podiatrists in the DC area that can correct the situation. Do some more research. Were they unable to refer you to a successful patient, or unwilling do to patient confidentiality, you know the new HIPA rules.

Old 06-06-2004, 06:58 AM   #7
    susieblueyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

susieblueyes HB User

EKO,
    Have you started your PT yet? I was just wondering how you were making out with it.I hope all is well

Sue

Old 06-06-2004, 02:20 PM   #8
    eko
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

eko HB Usereko HB User

Sue, I wish I have started PT, but I am still working on the insurance referrals. Insurance is nice to have, but it can be such pain to make sure you have the approvals and authorizations in place. We took the kids to a waterpark resort for the weekend, I did a lot of walking, I am paying for it today now that we are home. My ankle is achey and stiff if I have not used it for awhile. Thanks for thinking of me!

Last edited by eko; 06-06-2004 at 02:20 PM.

Old 06-06-2004, 05:00 PM   #9
    susieblueyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

susieblueyes HB User

EKO,
    Good luck and I hope you are feeling better,
    Take care,

Sue

Old 06-09-2004, 10:40 AM   #10
    eko
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

eko HB Usereko HB User

Jennie,

I had my PT evaluation today, I have a little work to do. I was told I had done a great job on massaging my scars, especially the one on the ankle. The ROM was pretty good considering I had no PT following my ankle surgery nine months ago. I have some exercises to do twice a day and I will be having PT twice a week. There is work to be done though, I'll let you know how it progresses. Any word on when you might start PT?

Old 06-10-2004, 07:48 PM   #11
    jdm

jdm HB User

Ellen,
    Thanks for the update. What kind of exercises did they give you? I remember when I had PT last time, I had to pick up marbles with my toes. I know that was for ROM in the toe; however, since we are fused, I guess that wouldn't be an issue.
    When I saw my dr last she wanted to wait becasue of the infection. I go back on the 29th of this month, so maybe I will get PT then. I have decided that I have enough just trying to close my class for the end of the year. Only 6 days left. Anyway, I will going back to the gym to swim and ride the stationary bike.
    Let me know how your do with PT. Good luck!

Jennie

I just thought of a question for you - are you still having any pain where your fusion was done? Some days I seem to have a good deal of pain, but other days I almost forget about my foot. I was just wondering what you are experiencing.

Old 06-11-2004, 07:29 AM   #12
    taylor2000

taylor2000 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdm
    Ellen,
    Thanks for the update. What kind of exercises did they give you? I remember when I had PT last time, I had to pick up marbles with my toes. I know that was for ROM in the toe; however, since we are fused, I guess that wouldn't be an issue.
    When I saw my dr last she wanted to wait becasue of the infection. I go back on the 29th of this month, so maybe I will get PT then. I have decided that I have enough just trying to close my class for the end of the year. Only 6 days left. Anyway, I will going back to the gym to swim and ride the stationary bike.
    Let me know how your do with PT. Good luck!

Jennie

I just thought of a question for you - are you still having any pain where your fusion was done? Some days I seem to have a good deal of pain, but other days I almost forget about my foot. I was just wondering what you are experiencing.
    Which area of the great toe was fused? Ball of foot joint or hammertoe joint? What was used to fuse it?

Old 06-12-2004, 09:33 AM   #13
    eko
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

eko HB Usereko HB User

Jojo, the joint I had fused was at the base of my big toe, I still have some movement at the tip of the toe. My Dr. used removable pins to hold the toe while fusion took place, no hardware in my case.

Jennie,

I had my first PT session on Friday, it felt good while doing it, but after I ached and when I sat to long at my desk at work, it would stiffen up. I am having problems with swelling in my ankle, so right now the goal is flexibility and reducing the swelling before strengthening. Here are some of the exercises I have been given to do at home. I will do my best to describe them.

Gastroc Stretch Ė sit on flat surface w/ legs straight. Loop towel around ball of foot. Gently pull on towel, keeping knee straight. Hold 30 secs, release.

Stretch Toe Flexors Ė this was modified because my big toe will not bend. With flat hand push toes upward, hold for 15 secs, release.

AROM Ankle Circles (you might know this one) Sit w/ knee bent. Move foot in circles clockwise. Move foot in circles counter clockwise. Be sure leg or knee does not move, insure motion occurs at the ankle.

Towel Scrunches Ė spread towel on floor, keeping heel on towel, with motion only the ankle, scrunch towel moving foot to the outside, sliding towel in. Then also same thing other direction. Lastly, bring towel towards you (a little difficult when you canít curl the big toe).

Iíll call this the Water Plunge. This is to help w/ lingering swelling. Two buckets, one with warm water and one with ice cold water (ice cubes too). Plunge foot in cold water for one minute, the warm for one minute, alternating for 15 minutes. Be sure to start and end in the cold water. (The cold water will cause your ankle to ache)

On Friday we did some other exercises at the parallel bars, balancing and stretching. Right now I go twice a week, but it may be increased to three times a week.

In regards to your question does the fused site hurt? Yes it does sometimes and other times itís great. Sometimes I think it is the weather, but have not figured out any correlations yet.

I hope that you are able to start PT soon, it is hard work, but will be worth it in the end. I only wish that I had the ankle ROM exercises earlier, with it being ten months after my ankle surgery, I have lots of work to do. If you have any questions regarding the exerises I tried to describe above, let me know and I'll do my best to answer them. Take care! -Ellen

Old 06-14-2004, 06:25 PM   #14
    jdm

jdm HB User

Ellen,
    Thanks for the info! Trying to finish the school year is enough of a work out right now. I go to the doc in two weeks, so hopefully then I will start then. Glad to hear you are doing well.

Jojo,
    My fusion site is the same as EKO's. It was between the 2nd and 3rd metatarsals. I have a plate and three screws left in my foot.

Jennie

Closed Thread