It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Hi, I'm almost three months out from a Level 2 ankle sprain.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-17-2004, 04:00 PM   #1
    reijo

reijo HB User
    Hi, I'm almost three months out from a Level 2 ankle sprain.

I had ligament damage and nerve damage. This is the first ankle injury that I've had so I'm unsure as to what to expect. I have a well respected sports medicine doctor who specializes in ankle injuries. I was released about a month ago and felt that I was doing pretty good. Of course, the next day it seemed that I started having problems.

My doctor told me a number of times that this would not be an injury that I would get over overnight that I needed to just be patient. I have been given an ankle brace to wear and he told me that I should wear it frequently for the next six months as support for the injury and that even AFTER THAT at ANYTIME that I would do anything that would cause the ankle to be compromised or riding for a long time, etc. that I should wear the support. He didn't send me to physical therapy (I think mainly due to insurance that wasn't so good) but gave me a list of excercises to do. All of this was done with the instructions that I needed to give it time but to go back if I had trouble.

Is 6 months to a year normal for recovery? Is that what those of you out there have experienced? Should I be more recovered at this point? Also, I've noticed that that ankle seems to be a different color from the uninjured one. It is a little red. Anyone out there experienced this?

I'm 55 and hate to think that I will have this stiffness the rest of my life. Walking down stairs is rough.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by reijo; 06-17-2004 at 04:05 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2004, 06:10 PM   #2
    StephanieVD

StephanieVD HB User
    Re: Hi, I'm almost three months out from a Level 2 ankle sprain.

I was told when I first hurt my ankle and saw an orthopedic that ankle sprains can take 6 months to heal... and that's when they start taking a closer look. I am a chronic sprainer though and am also very young relatively (18). I would possibly look into a physical therapy appointment.. even if its just a one time thing to make sure you're doing the right exercises. You're lucky, I haven't found any sports med docs, that specialize in ankles... I am jealous.

Closed Thread