It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• back from bunionectomy, w/pain question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-19-2004, 06:02 AM   #1
    squirrelmom

squirrelmom HB User
    back from bunionectomy, w/pain question

I had my bunionectomy (austin, right foot) yesterday afternoon. So far, I guess things are pretty good. I didn't feel a thing in my foot until the local wore off around 10 pm last night, and I've been able to hobble around a bit by just walking on the heel while wearing the surgical shoe. I can wiggle my toes gently. I did get some discomfort last night after I put my foot down to walk to the bathroom, and the blood rushed down...it felt like pressure and achy-burning in the foot for about 45 minutes afterwards, even though I re-elevated in a very short time. I guess this is normal? But for how long? I've been mainly staying in bed witht the foot propped up (with ice packs) since I got back from surgery., but I'm hoping to soon move on to moving around more, without getting the blood rushing to foot thing happening every time.

My actual pain question is, the only real pain I have is in an area on the outer side of my foot. This is nowhere near the surgical incision, which is numb. Why would I have pain there? Could my bandage be too tight and causing this? Did some bones or internal structures get shifted over with the surgery? (this wasn't supposed to happen, i.e., it wasn't the goal of surgery, which I'm told went perfectly well and as expected, but I suppose that might happen fairly often anyway?) I just wondered if anyone had experienced something similar or had any ideas.

I also have been keeping ice packs on the foot all the time, but I can barely feel any cold through all the layers of bandages I have. Is this really doing any good? I'll keep doing it anyway, as it can't hurt and it's not especially inconvenient at least for these initial few days, but I would like to know how the icing can be helping if I can't even feel the cold. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks all!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2004, 09:50 AM   #2
    ojoscafes

ojoscafes HB User
    Re: back from bunionectomy, w/pain question

Hi squirrelmom. I had my rt ft bunion surgery on Monday 6/14 and I too experience the painful blood rush to the foot every time I get out of bed. I read somewhere that elevating and icing the foot during the first two weeks helps reduce the swelling so I have pretty much stayed in bed and kept my foot elevated since getting home from surgery. My foot is heavily bandaged and I don't always feel the cold of the ice packs through all the wrappings but my daughter can tell that the swelling has reduced quite a bit so I would encourage you to continue to ice as much as possible. One day post op the doctor told me I could bear weight on the heel or the outside of the foot but I've been aprehensive and haven't done so. You're way ahead of me! Can you feel any pain whatsoever when you bear weight on your heel? Umm let's see..pain on the outside of my foot. Oh yes, the first day or two after surgery I could feel some "pain" on the outside of the foot. But as the swelling is reduced, the pain is no concentrated around the incision area. Maybe as the swelling in your foot is reduced, you will find the same. Best wishes for a quick recovery!

Old 06-19-2004, 11:38 AM   #3
    squirrelmom

squirrelmom HB User

Hi ojoscafes--how nice to find someone also recovering from this procedure...maybe we can continue comparing notes. Thanks for the feedback...I suspect that you're right, that pain on the outside of the foot was due to a combination of swelling and a tight bandage. It seems mostly gone now, so maybe the swelling is going down. I really can't see what my foot looks like, with all the bandaging!
    I do feel a lot of soreness when I put weight on the foot, even on just the heel. So I don't do it much--the crutches are better for now.
    The blood doesn't rush to my foot quite so much by now--I've tried moving around and it now takes 5 minutes rather than 5 seconds. Maybe this is also swelling-related. I'll definitely keep up with the ice packs.

Take care!

Old 06-19-2004, 01:23 PM   #4
    keisha122

keisha122 HB User

hello, i just were in the same boat together. i just had a bunionectomy yesterday also and i feel a little trobbing every once in a while. i threw up this morning and i counldnt eat any thing excet crackers. i hate this feeling of being in bed all the time.. but as each day goes on things will get better for every one. wish you all a happy and safe healing!

Old 06-19-2004, 03:41 PM   #5
    cmptrwun
    Inactive

cmptrwun HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by squirrelmom
    I also have been keeping ice packs on the foot all the time, but I can barely feel any cold through all the layers of bandages I have. Is this really doing any good? I'll keep doing it anyway, as it can't hurt and it's not especially inconvenient at least for these initial few days, but I would like to know how the icing can be helping if I can't even feel the cold. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks all!
    I noticed the same thing when I was icing my foot the day of the surgery (and I was having some excruciating pain because my foot was raised too high), so I called my doctor and asked him about it. He said that I should focus on putting the packs around my exposed toes and behind my knee at the top of the cast, because even that helps. It seems like he was right, because when I had my two-day checkup, there was virtually no swelling, and there still isn't. I guess you just need to ice wherever you can find a spot where you can feel it.

Old 06-19-2004, 05:51 PM   #6
    carreg
    (female)

carreg HB User

Squirrelmom, I'm glad the surgery went okay for you. As I said in one of my other post, don't wait until the pain gets bad to take the pain meds. I made the mistake of waiting until my pain got to around an 8 or 9. My surgery was on the 14th. In addition to the austin, I had hammertoe surgery and metatarsal resection. I'm getting more pain from the hammertoe and metatarsal than I am from the bunionectomy. Sometimes, when I try to move my toes, it feels like there is a hot rod across the top of my foot. Has anyone else had this kind of pain? I really can't tell if my toes are swollen with all the bandages. The doctor will be changing the bandages on Monday. Who knows???, maybe there is a rod across the top of my foot
    Take care Squirrelmom. Let's keep in touch and compare progress.

Old 06-20-2004, 05:42 AM   #7
    squirrelmom

squirrelmom HB User

Hi all, and thanks for all the feedback. It's great to have bunionectomy buddies...especially being stuck here with no place to go and nothing to do! Geekwench, thanks for the ice advice. I really do feel that 90% of my discomfort arises from my swelling inside this tight bandage (I can't see the swelling, but the sensation, when bad, is similar to having museum feet in shoes a size too small...or having a foot squeezed in a vise). I've been icing religiously. Carreg, I know what you mean about staying ahead of the pain. Yesterday I thought I would taper off the pain meds, since it didn't seem as thought I needed them or they were doing much good. But I did have a pill in the evening, and then a couple of hours later for the first time I got really excruciating pain...all of a sudden. No idea why. I took another pill at that point, but of course it took a full hour to have any effect. I don't quite understand this whole thing and how to predict when a bout of throbbing is going to be a mere passing event, or suddenly turn into real pain, but clearly I am not ready to go off the oxycodone yet. In fact now I'm starting to take two pills every four hours, rather than one every 5 - 6 hours. Just in case.

Isn't there an average "peak" time for swelling, post op? I seem to recall something about day two being the worst. Does this mean 24 or 48 hours after surgery? I think once my swelling goes down I'll be feeling a lot better, and won't need the pain meds at all. I really can't complain, in general--aside from the swelling-induced pressure feelings/discomfort, I'm in good shape. I can put my foot down flat on the floor with half my weight on it, with no discomfort, and without blood rushing to it. Progress!

Take care, all! Keep me posted on your progress.

Old 06-20-2004, 02:02 PM   #8
    ojoscafes

ojoscafes HB User

Hi squirrelmom. I had my surgery on Monday and by Thursday morning we noticed that the swelling was considerably reduced. I am still taking the oxicodone too but have noticed that the pain isn't as bad as before where I HAD to take the meds every four hours. Last night I slept 7 hours straight without pain waking me. This morning I started to bear weight on the side of my foot, but I felt a lot of pressure. I don't know if it's because my foot is tighly bandaged or a combination of that and the blood rush I get when I lower my foot. I have noticed though, that the painful blood rush is not as bad today either.

Old 06-20-2004, 02:53 PM   #9
    cmptrwun
    Inactive

cmptrwun HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by squirrelmom
    Isn't there an average "peak" time for swelling, post op? I seem to recall something about day two being the worst. Does this mean 24 or 48 hours after surgery? I think once my swelling goes down I'll be feeling a lot better, and won't need the pain meds at all. I really can't complain, in general--aside from the swelling-induced pressure feelings/discomfort, I'm in good shape. I can put my foot down flat on the floor with half my weight on it, with no discomfort, and without blood rushing to it. Progress!

Take care, all! Keep me posted on your progress.
    My doc told me that the first two days are the worst, and that the pain tapers off sharply and quickly after that. I don't know if that's the case for everybody, but it was very consistent with what I experienced. HTH.

Closed Thread