It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Update 16 weeks Post-op Fusion and PT

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-24-2004, 05:26 AM   #1
    eko
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

eko HB Usereko HB User
    Update 16 weeks Post-op Fusion and PT

Thought I'd post an update on the fusion of my great toe and give an update on the PT (3 weeks). The fusion is doing great, I am back to most of my normal activities and wearing shoes of my choice with a limitation to heel height. I was not happy having to have a fusion, but considering all, am very pleased with the final result, excited to be getting back to my normal activities, especially with it being summer.

I am in PT due to the fact in August 2003 I had a Brostrom Repair on my ankle (same leg). Because to several complications (not due to the surgery of the ankle) I did not have physical therapy, was on crutches for nine months, and as result ended up with a very weak and unflexible ankle. PT has been good, I have gained much of the flexibility back and am now working on strengthening exercises. I expect to be in PT for about another 2 weeks. I have exercises I do regularly at home that have really helped. I had to push for PT and am glad I did, otherwise I would not be to the point where I am now. I guess I'd have to say, don't be afraid to push for what you think you need to recover.

Someday I have surgery to correct the bunion on my other foot, it is still tolerable and I need a break from surgery to live my life and to complete the recovery of my other ankle/foot. I wish all of you the very best - eko

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2004, 08:18 AM   #2
    susieblueyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

susieblueyes HB User
    Re: Update 16 weeks Post-op Fusion and PT

EKO,
    I'm so happy to see that you are doing great.I hope that everything continues to move in the right dirrection for you.

Sue

Old 06-24-2004, 09:45 AM   #3
    jdm

jdm HB User

Ellen,
    Awesome! I am happy to hear that things are going well! I know what a long road it has been. I see the dr. next Tuesday, so I will let you know how I am doing. Take care.

Jennie

Old 07-02-2004, 07:35 AM   #4
    eko
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

eko HB Usereko HB User

YEA!!!! I am done with Physical Therapy - today was my last session, they will follow-up w/ me in a couple of weeks, but if all continues to go well, I am done! I had four weeks of PT and am very pleased with the results. Initially is was at 0 degrees dorsiflexion, I am at 13 (need 10 to walk normally). I went from 24 to 40 degrees plantaflexion, 14 to 40 degrees inversion and 10 to 18 degrees eversion. Now I just need to keep on working on strengthening, I have exercises to do at home and just walking will help, especially now that I feel much more confident getting around.

I hope that things are going well or getting better for all of you on the board. I'll still be around to answer questions and share what I have learned over the past 12 months. Someday I'll get the bunion on my other foot fixed, but plan on enjoying my freedom for now. Thanks for all the advice and support. Take care!

Old 07-02-2004, 09:30 PM   #5
    jdm

jdm HB User

Ellen,
    I am so happy for you! What an accomplishment. I started PT this week. I am scheduled for 6 weeks at three times a week. I am working on ROM of the ankle to help with my walk. I have not been given anything to do at home other than work on massaging my scar tissue. On darn, my boyfriend is going to have to give me a foot massage. I have also been back to the gym. I have been working out about an hour. Mostly on the bike, but slowly adding time on the elliptical trainer. I am really motivated to get my foot back in shape and lose some of the weight I gained since I had this surgery.
    Please keep in touch. I will post an update in a couple of weeks after PT.
    Take care.
    Jennie

Closed Thread