It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• sole of foot

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-25-2004, 06:10 AM   #1
    sk678

sk678 HB User
    sole of foot

hey guys,

i am new to the board. I have been having hypersensitivity to the sole of my foot for almost 2 years now. It was after an accident. I have been seen by many doctors who do not think that it is RSD, all the symptoms dont fit. But this sole of foot hypersensitivity makes it impossible for me to stand for more than a minute. Somehow, i have found a way to get around this, we all find a way to keep doing whatwe have to do i guess. i [ removed ] have an especially hard time running from room to room like this. in any case, this is killing me, if anyone has a similar problem, ...any solutionss....i would love any suggestions.

Last edited by moderator2; 07-26-2004 at 05:41 AM. Reason: Please carefully review the posting rules about naming your profession. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2004, 02:58 PM   #2
    Loud
    (female)

Loud HB User
    Re: sole of foot

I'm sorry to hear you have this problem! I too have a VERY sore left heel...the pain goes out into my entire foot at times, but the heel is the most sore area. I am having trouble walking now. I bought thick soled bedroom slippers to wear around the house...as I can't walk on hard floors without that left foot killing me. I've been to see a Podiatrist..he had special foot arches made for me...but they've made my foot worse! I've had them adjust the arches down twice now, but the foot is so sore, I haven't tried wearing the arches lately. I can't. The last time I saw this doctor, he gave me a cortisone shot in my heel area...and it hasn't helped one bit! If anything, its more sore now (I got the cortisone shot 5 days ago). I bought these gel arch supports at Wal Mart: they hurt my left foot. A few months ago I stepped down on a small pebble/rock, on my left heel; and the pain was tremendous! Ever since then, my foot has been killingme. I honestly don't know what to do now, about it. Its torure to go exercise...even when I try and stay off my feet. I hope someone will have some ideas for both of us! Deb

Old 07-26-2004, 01:55 AM   #3
    sealover
    Veteran
    (female)

sealover HB Usersealover HB User

Regarding the hypersensitivity of the sole of your foot...have you had any tests done, like an MRI or neurosensory test? Is the hypersensitivity that of a nerve sensations like burning or itching or like electric shocks? Have you tried the Lidoderm Patch? I think that if you haven't had tests done on your foot, then you should.

I know how frustrating it is when you don't know what is wrong with your foot or what treatment will help it the most. I've been searching for months for the proper padding for my left foot that will help alleviate the pain, but some inserts make my foot feel more painful.

At home, I wear cushiony slippers, too. I have hardwood floors and there's no way I can walk barefoot. Out of the house, I wear sneakers now, but they are not comfortable for my problem foot. Wish I could wear comfy slippers out of the house!

I just want to give a warning about having cortisone injections. Those injections come with side effects, some of them permanent. Just be sure to weigh the benefits of cortisone versus the possible side effects. Not all people experience probems with cortisone, however, I had 2 injections and they led to my fat pad on the ball of my foot thinning out drastically. Now my foot is in more trouble than it was before the cortisone shots.

Last edited by sealover; 07-26-2004 at 02:01 AM.

Old 07-26-2004, 03:39 AM   #4
    sk678

sk678 HB User

ive had multiple mri's that were negative, multiple normal emg's, even a normal sympathetic nerve block, tried a million inserts that dont work, lidoderm patch doesnt work, the pain is like a pressure, not burning or electric........frustrating....i would give anything for it to go away.....

Old 07-26-2004, 11:06 AM   #5
    Loud
    (female)

Loud HB User

I haven't had any tests done...just an x-ray. My Podiatrist mentioned spurs in my foot, but said that shouldn't be causing me problems. In my case, its an actual pain I feel whenever I step down on the foot. I wish I hadn't gotten that cortisone shot. It hasn't helped one bit. Right after getting the shot, I looked up foot problems online, and read how cortisone shots aren't given much anymore...because of the bad side affects. That made me mad. I'm not going to get another shot again, that's for sure.
    My foot seems to be getting worse all the time. The slippers I wear in my house make walking tolerable. But trying to go exercise in my regular shoes is a real pain: literally! Today my family and I are going to an amusement park. Its not going to be easy: I'll be in pain the entire day. I guess I'll need tor equests more tests for this foot of mine...and get a lidoderm patch. I'll try anything, if it helps make my foot feel better. Thanks for responding...Deb

Old 07-26-2004, 09:34 PM   #6
    sealover
    Veteran
    (female)

sealover HB Usersealover HB User

sk678,

How about having a Neurosensory Test done? I'm supposed to have that test done soon by a podiatrist. There are only about 2 Neurosensory testing centers in my state. I don't know if the QSART test would be of any help for you--I haven't had one done. Have you had a bone scan? Has blood work been done?

I know what you mean about wanting to give anything for the problem to go away. That's how I feel about my foot pain--I just want this to go away, but it's a chronic problem. I've bought many types of shoe inserts with no luck.

Deb,

I would suggest that you ask your doctor to order an MRI. I had a couple of MRI's and the tests showed some abnormal findings. As far as cortisone shots, you're smart to not have another one. I don't know if Lidoderm Patches will help you or not. They don't help alleviate the bone or muscle pain I feel. The patches only help when the nerves in my foot are hypersensitive. Lidoderm Patches are basically used for nerve pain. I am also taking an NSAID, but I'm still in pain.

I know exactly what you mean about having to go out to an amusement park, for instance, and be in pain. Before I hurt my foot, I used to travel to New York City and walk around all day, yet now everything is a hassle because of my foot. I can't imagine going to an amusement park and walking around all day! I guess I really took for granted all the walking around I could do before my foot pain began. I want my life back the way it was before all this happened. So I totally understand your frustration.

Last edited by sealover; 07-26-2004 at 09:38 PM.

Closed Thread