It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Teenager with Bunions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-28-2004, 04:42 PM   #1
    katinabox

katinabox HB User
    Unhappy Teenager with Bunions

Hi,

I am 19 and I have had angled big toes since I was about 6. The angles got worse when I was 14 and have continued to deteriorate. I now find it hard to wear anything other than trainers or tennis shoes. My mother always took me to the doctor who was really excellent and gave me orthotics and recommended good shoes to fit my 'odd' feet.

I am so embarrassed about my feet. I was bullied at school anyway, but girls saw my feet in games lessons and called me a cripple. Since then I have never gone barefoot or been swimming. I also have to wear unfashionable wide shoes which look silly and the bumps also stretch the fabric on some of them. The bunions have always rubbed on my shoes and got blisters but recently they have started to ache at night and they really kill if I bump them on anything of if (god forbid !) someone steps on one on my bus to work! The doctor says that this is an indication that I should have surgery (one foot this year and one next year). I know it is painful but I think that short term pain while I am young is far better than continued discomfort for years to come - which I would hate !

I never met anybody else with bunions at my age until I read these posts. I actually thought I was unique ! These bunions are nothing compared to really serious health problems that we could have and I feel silly even talking about them. But I just wanted to share my discomfort and embarrassment with other teenagers and 20-somethings and it would be excellent if others posted their experiences of living with these awful bumps !! (particularly how to find good looking shoes...haha !!)

Sorry to ramble ...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2004, 05:07 PM   #2
    jym87

jym87 HB User
    Re: Teenager with Bunions

Quote:
    Originally Posted by katinabox

I never met anybody else with bunions at my age until I read these posts. I actually thought I was unique ! These bunions are nothing compared to really serious health problems that we could have and I feel silly even talking about them. But I just wanted to share my discomfort and embarrassment with other teenagers and 20-somethings and it would be excellent if others posted their experiences of living with these awful bumps !! (particularly how to find good looking shoes...haha !!)

Sorry to ramble ...
    Hi,
    I know how you feel and I am 17. All through my teenage years I could not wear all the cute sandals during the summer because of my feet. Which is why I have gotten so comfortable with wear sneakers all the time. But I am getting bunion surgery on my right foot this summer to remove the problem.

Old 07-29-2004, 04:58 AM   #3
    eko
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

eko HB Usereko HB User

I am not 19 anymore, but can relate to having bunions throughout my childhood, putting up with orthotics and un-fashionable shoes. I didn't have much pain with them until I was in my 20's and 30's, one bunion is gone and I have one to go. When you get your bunions corrected I wish you the best luck and let us know how it goes. Good luck!

Old 08-01-2004, 11:03 AM   #4
    CheerAngel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CheerAngel HB User

I can relate to you! I have bunions ever since I was young and I'm having more and more trouble with it as the years goes by. My orthopaedic doc did told me that he didn't want to operate on me since I'm still young. Since I know that this problem has a tendency to occur, maybe that's why he said that. I can no longer wear pretty shoes that girls my age wear. I can't wear flip flops too as it causes back prob. So now I could only wear sport shoes with my new orthotics. katinabox, are you being scheduled for surgery? jym87, how bad is your bunions before you decided surgery? Was it the deformity or pain?

Old 08-01-2004, 05:14 PM   #5
    keisha122

keisha122 HB User

hi, im 19 also and i had big bunions ever since i was about ten years old. i was so embarssed in school sometimes, because you could see the print in my shoes. i know how you feel about your feet and the summer time is allways the worst for bunion people because of sandels! this summmer i had the bigger bunion done(right foot) now i have one foot to go. i can tell you that by just getting the bigger one done my esteem has gone very high! but the surgery is a long recovery!! keep that in mind. your not the only one with this problem there are millions of people with it. good luck to you! (im 7 & a half weeks post op and i feel great)!!!!!!!!

Old 11-17-2004, 11:36 PM   #6
    crysci
    (female)

crysci HB User

I first got a bunionette, a bunion on my outer small toe, when I was 17. I am now 21. My bunionette is very severe and makes my foot look deformed and unnatural looking. It bothers me how my foot appears now and I am very self-conscious about it. I remember when I was wearing flip-flops and this lady kept on staring and seemed appalled by my bunionated foot.
    So know I don't like people seing my deformed foot and try to avoid wearing sandals.
    I would really like to have surgery to remove the bunionette, but I don't have money right now.

Closed Thread