It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Need info from those who have had bunion surgery! PLEASE HELP!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-02-2004, 09:01 AM   #1
    zephina

zephina HB User
    Red face Need info from those who have had bunion surgery! PLEASE HELP!!!

Hi I'm glad I came across this site. I had bunion surgery six weeks ago by a highly recommended orthopedic surgeon. I have three incisions on my foot, one between my big toe and second toe, one on the side where the bunion was and another on top of my foot. A screw and pin were removed from the top one week ago and as expected, I experienced some pain from the removal of that hardware. My main concern right now is that I am not able to bear full weight on my foot because the area where the bunion used to be is painful. When I try to bend my foot at the ball while walking it is painful, not overly painful, but it is uncomfortable enough to the point that I am still putting most of the weight on the outside of the foot. On account of that, my ankle still swells by the end of the day. I see my doctor next week to have my stitches removed (from hardware removal). Now I am worried that perhaps this pain will never go away. At my six week checkup, the xrays showed that the bone was well healed so I don't understand why I am feeling pain. Was I overly confident in thinking that that at the end of six weeks I would feel no residual pain from the surgery??? Any information or words of encouragement will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2004, 10:42 AM   #2
    danged_feet

danged_feet HB User
    Re: Need info from those who have had bunion surgery! PLEASE HELP!!!

I wouldn't fret too much. I am about 5 months post op and some days the pain is still there. It is much better than at 6 weeks tho.

Bunion removal is a pretty dramatic surgery and it takes quite a bit of time for things to heal. One thing that you will need to come to grips with is the fact that your foot, ankle and calf will need some rehabilitation to get strength back.

Hang in there it gets better.

Old 08-02-2004, 08:36 PM   #3
    wilkb7

wilkb7 HB User

Hi! I too am at 6 weeks post op, still have some pain bearing full weight on my foot. Still have a bit of a limp. My hardware is still in, and one screw will probably stay forever, and the other one will be removed at about 3 months. I would think it would make sense that with stitches in again and the fact that he irritated the surgical site again that there would be pain. My big toe is stiff, I work at bending it by hand several times a day, but still have little to no movement in it.

Old 08-02-2004, 09:18 PM   #4
    rileyroe
    (female)

rileyroe HB User

Be patient! You have a LONG way to go before you are fully recovered! I had both feet done in January and they are both still sore at times! You are expecting too much, too soon! Relax, you are right on schedule! I hope the rest of your recovery goes well for you!

Old 08-03-2004, 04:17 AM   #5
    squirrelmom

squirrelmom HB User

I had bunion surgery six weeks ago as well, and though I consider my surgery to have been a great success, and my recovery to have been remarkably quick and easy (compared to some), I too have some stiffness and discomfort in the bunion area when I do certain movements. Specifically, if I walk hard and fast for a while, it feels sore, when I bicycle it aches and throbs after 20 minutes or so, and if I walk around barefoot I still get the slight swelling/blood rush/throbbing feeling. Wearing sneakers seems to help, probably because the shoe provides some compression. Anyway, I think it is all normal at this stage, and six weeks is way too soon to expect to be 100% discomfort-free while weight bearing and foot-rolling. Depending on how much discomfort you have, you can look into getting some PT, or you can just be patient and keep practicing using the joint normally. Regular moderate exercise helps with healing. My doctor said I will still have some residual swelling for weeks or months to come, but as that subsides the toe joint will feel more normal and less stiff.

Old 08-03-2004, 10:59 PM   #6
    HappyMama

HappyMama HB User

Sounds perfectly normal to me. I'm with RileyRoe, I had the surgery 6 months ago as well and I'm still sore sometimes. Doctors will tell you that you will be structurally healed in 6 weeks, but that does NOT mean that you will feel good! Personally, I think it's misleading to say that and sets up a lot of disappointment with patients....I know for me I thought I'd be out and about pain free playing tennis in 6 weeks. HA! It takes a long time, and unfortunately I wasn't prepared for that either. At least the surgery is behind you though and you are improving....slowly but surely!

Old 08-10-2004, 09:34 PM   #7
    hopefulrecovery

hopefulrecovery HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zephina
    Hi I'm glad I came across this site. I had bunion surgery six weeks ago by a highly recommended orthopedic surgeon. I have three incisions on my foot, one between my big toe and second toe, one on the side where the bunion was and another on top of my foot. A screw and pin were removed from the top one week ago and as expected, I experienced some pain from the removal of that hardware. My main concern right now is that I am not able to bear full weight on my foot because the area where the bunion used to be is painful. When I try to bend my foot at the ball while walking it is painful, not overly painful, but it is uncomfortable enough to the point that I am still putting most of the weight on the outside of the foot. On account of that, my ankle still swells by the end of the day. I see my doctor next week to have my stitches removed (from hardware removal). Now I am worried that perhaps this pain will never go away. At my six week checkup, the xrays showed that the bone was well healed so I don't understand why I am feeling pain. Was I overly confident in thinking that that at the end of six weeks I would feel no residual pain from the surgery??? Any information or words of encouragement will be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-10-2004, 09:49 PM   #8
    hopefulrecovery

hopefulrecovery HB User

I don't think my reply posted. Here is a summary. I had bunion surgery almost one month ago July 13, 2004. Alot of the swelling has gone down, but there is still swelling on the side of my foot. I had one incision. I sympathize with anyone who has foot problems and I'm willing to discuss the problems. Tomorrow I go to get pad replacements on my orthotics and I've just started taking Vioxx. I keep on icing my foot and talking to the Creator about it.

Old 08-10-2004, 10:08 PM   #9
    hopefulrecovery

hopefulrecovery HB User

I had bunion surgery almost one month ago. I have one incision at the top of my foot. Alot of the swelling has gone, but the side of my foot is still swollen. I can TOTALLY RELATE TO YOU. I just keep icing it, and I just started on Vioxx. I will pray for you to the creator. Lets expect results. Let me know how you are doing, if you want. Tomorrow I go to get a new pad on my orthotics.

Old 08-11-2004, 09:18 AM   #10
    spmgj
    (female)

spmgj HB User

I am 17 days shy of my 1st anniversary of my double bunionectomy. I am 100% recovered and it is great to be able to find shoes that are comfortable and fit well. I did not do any weight bearing on my feet until 8 weeks post op despite the doctor's OK to do so at 4 weeks post op. I had to go with how I felt and really be patient to give my feet enough time to heal properly. From 8 weeks on, everyday progressed slowly toward full recovery. The progress accelerated as time went by. The important part is that the surgery is done properly; the rest is up to you.

Closed Thread