It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Spacey 11 - achilles pain after ankle surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-05-2004, 05:44 PM   #1
    kehorner
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
    Spacey 11 - achilles pain after ankle surgery

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spacey_11
    I have a few questions for all you ankle surgery people... I had a bronstrom procedure back in the beginning of march... Recovery is going well, just slow. I am now allowed to run for 5 mintues with a brace on a track or treadmill.. and I am doing some hopping and shuffleing at therapy... I guess this is good, but its a bit far from an 80 minute rugby game. I am also having a problem with my achilles.... It has some tightnes and pain, kind of a locking sensation, BEHIND the tendon when I do anything in plantar flexion. The doc said it might be bursitis, but if its not too much of a problem, I can just keep doing things... he said if it continues to be a problem, he can do a cortizone injection.... Im not sure what all that entails (anyone tell me) but it doenst sound like fun, or like it will get me back on the field... Does this sound like everyone elses recovery? Let me know. Thanks!
    I had some problems with achilles pain as well. It was just at the base of the tendon near my heel, but it felt more like it was the tissue around my tendon and not the tendon itself. It didn't really cause me any problems with functional activities, but I noticed it when I was doing my heel raises, at the very end of the range of motion. My therapist had no clue, but my OS told me that it was a very normal slight complaint after this type of surgery. He didn't exactly say what it was, but said it should go away over time. He was right. I think it's been maybe a month or so since I saw him for the last time and the pain is now gone. (I had surgery March 17- Brostrom with an Evans tendon transfer.)

I personally would be wary of the cortisone shot in this area. When I was in therapy there was another patient there who was having achilles tendon problems and was considering cortisone shots. My PT said that the cortisone shot can actually weaken the tissues, which is not a good thing for the achilles tendon! If you have any sort of inherent weakness of the tendon, and then you go on to participate in strenuous activity (as I imagine rugby must be!), a cortisone shot could end up causing more problems than it solves. Not to say that the shot wouldn't help, just that you should be aware of the risks involved and discuss all of the advantages and disadvantages with your doctor before going ahead with it. I would wait a while and see if the problem resolves on its own before undergoing another procedure with risks. Although it is frustrating, the wait-and-see approach has very few risks!

Good luck, and hang in there. It sounds like you are doing great in spite of a few remaining hurdles to get over.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread