It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• HELP - Alternatives to orthodics for flat feet?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-22-2004, 04:20 PM   #1
    Z'sMom

Z'sMom HB User
    HELP - Alternatives to orthodics for flat feet?

Does anyone have an alternative solutions for flat feet? Our insurance just changed policy on this -- now they don't cover flat feet, period. With a growing teen & orthodics at $400/pr., I'm looking for any tried & true solutions. Anyone?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2004, 07:30 PM   #2
    KarynLR
    (female)

KarynLR HB User
    Re: HELP - Alternatives to orthodics for flat feet?

Have you visited the orthotist yet? I saw an orthotist on Tuesday at a very respected orthopedic shop. My doctor wrote for "off the shelf" orthotics, but they're still pricey at $120 to $150. My first suggestion is trying these first. They are not custom made, but if OTS ones will significantly help, you've also made a significant savings. If not, most shops and doctors will allow you to pay the balance of the cost to upgrade to customs, less the amount you already paid, so you won't lose out on that deal.

Also, many insurances will cover some cost of over the counter and off the shelf products that do not require a prescription IF the doctor has written on a prescription pad the OTC medicine. See if your company has a policy about this.

I have learned that orthotics are the way to go. The give you back quality of life, and save you from a lot of medical hassle. Believe me, I know. A final thought for the insurance companies though-- my podiatrist recommended surgery since my insurance wouldn't cover orthotics. Between office visits, consults, second opinions, physical therapy, diagnostic testing, a hospital stay and surgery, my insurance has shelled out about $60,000 due to the botched surgery. They could have saved at least $59,600 by having coverage for orthotics. Do you think they would learn by now?

Old 09-22-2004, 08:06 PM   #3
    Z'sMom

Z'sMom HB User

What brand of OTS/OTC supports did you get? The nurse made some recommendations but so far they seem not much more than Dr. Scholl's, at least from what I've found on the net.

TY so much for the reply!

Old 09-23-2004, 05:37 AM   #4
    KarynLR
    (female)

KarynLR HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Z'sMom
    What brand of OTS/OTC supports did you get? The nurse made some recommendations but so far they seem not much more than Dr. Scholl's, at least from what I've found on the net.

TY so much for the reply!
    I am under the impression that these will not be Dr. Scholl's, especially since they will be priced at $120-$150, and you can pick up some Dr. Scholl's for under $20 at the drug store. Mine will be made of plastizote (I think; I have trouble reading my OS's writing), and will be ordered according to shoe size. Then, the orthotist customizes them to my feet. It's still cheaper than custom. So, I'm not really sure what brand they are. But check in to the insurance stuff, because while I've never been a big pro-orthotics person, they could have saved me from surgery, and that is a very big deal!

Old 09-24-2004, 04:48 AM   #5
    atsim

atsim HB User

Hi there,
    I had professionally made orthodics and found them impossible to wear. I had Hallux Rigidus, and recently had surgery. The orthodics were made of hard plastic, they hurt my feet and threw my back out of alignment. I followed directions on gradually increasing time wearing them but in my case the $400 was not well spent. Insurance didn't pay for mine either.

There is a catalog I get called FootSmart that has 5 pages of orthodics for various foot problems. None of the products is over $125. You can check their website at [ removed ] to see what they carry.

Good luck and here's to happy feet!
    Tina

Last edited by moderator2; 09-24-2004 at 05:05 AM. Reason: do not post commercial websites - use brand names only

Old 09-24-2004, 12:34 PM   #6
    Z'sMom

Z'sMom HB User

TY...I will look at the website right now!

Closed Thread