It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• bilateral chevron bunionectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-18-2004, 10:59 AM   #1
    robrebecca
    (female)

robrebecca HB User
    Exclamation bilateral chevron bunionectomy

I am scheduled for a bilateral chevron bunionectomy on monday, Nov. 22. I will be having the bunion cut off and the bone broken above the bunion with a pin to hold it in place. I am wondering if I should reconsider and only get one foot done at a time. I would rather only have 1 recovery period, but I also have 2 young children (age 1 & 2). I will have 3 weeks off work, more if needed,and my husand if planning on taking the first week off. How long will it be before I will be able to walk around the house? How long were pain pills required. If you had both feet done at once, would you do it again????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2004, 11:58 AM   #2
    susieblueyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

susieblueyes HB User
    Re: bilateral chevron bunionectomy

Quote:
    Originally Posted by robrebecca
    I am scheduled for a bilateral chevron bunionectomy on monday, Nov. 22. I will be having the bunion cut off and the bone broken above the bunion with a pin to hold it in place. I am wondering if I should reconsider and only get one foot done at a time. I would rather only have 1 recovery period, but I also have 2 young children (age 1 & 2). I will have 3 weeks off work, more if needed,and my husand if planning on taking the first week off. How long will it be before I will be able to walk around the house? How long were pain pills required. If you had both feet done at once, would you do it again????
    Hi,
    Oh wow, I have had surgery on both of my feet but one at a time and I would not have been able to take care of a 1 and 2 year old.Believe me it will take you much longer than a week before you feel up to chasing 2 little ones.I'm also sure you will need more than 3 weeks off from work.This is only my opinion and good luck with whatever you decide to do

Sue

Old 11-18-2004, 07:34 PM   #3
    keisha122

keisha122 HB User

HELLO!
    I had my right foot done in june and i'm considering doing the left soon. i dont think its a good idea to get both feet done at the same time.i am 5 months post op am i'm still not even 75%. you are going to for sure need more than three weeks off. the recovery period is a bit longer than three weeks to be on your feet. oh, is your pin temporary? i wish you the best of luck

Old 11-19-2004, 06:58 AM   #4
    verylongday

verylongday HB User

I know that my doctor will not do both feet at once, and the other doctor I consulted said that he'd only do both at once if you had 6 weeks off of work and had NO other responsibilites.

You wont be able to balance to pick up your children very well (and trust me, I jsut had one done a little over 2 weeks ago and I dont care for carrying anything other than my purse even now!).

If I were in your position I would seriously consider have them done seperately.

Closed Thread