It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• screw removal

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-09-2005, 07:26 PM   #1
    gypsy704

gypsy704 HB User
    screw removal

Has anyone had to have their screws removed after a buinionectomy? How long were you off work etc....I had both my feet done (8 weeks apart) about 1 1/2 years ago. I started having some foot pain about 5 months ago on my right foot and about 2 weeks ago on my left. I finally went to the dr. today and he said it was from the screws and they would have to be removed. OP surgery with local and IV sedation and back to work in a few days to a week.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2005, 11:33 PM   #2
    pakemuumama
    (female)

pakemuumama HB User
    Re: screw removal

Hi Gypsy,

I think most of the people here had pins and not screws, but I could be wrong...at any rate I would like to know about this too, because I would like to have my screw removed when I am allowed to because it skeeves me out. My doctor said it was a local anesthetic and a simple incision and I can walk afterward. Nothing like the bunion surgery. But I'd like to hear from someone who's had the experience.

Katie

Old 03-10-2005, 05:33 AM   #3
    susieblueyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

susieblueyes HB User

Hi ,
    I had to have hardware removed from both of my feet at different times. It is really not that bad.I was out of work for 2 weeks each time because I have a very physical job and my feet take a beating.They basically make incisions and just unscrew them.The only thing that I did not like is that it was done under local .I could feel the pulling and pressure also could hear everything.It is another surgery and you are required to elevate and ice for the first day.If I had a different type of job I could have went right back to work the next day.I love how they always say the hardware is permanent and it seems ALOT of people have to have them removed.Good luck to all of you who have to go through this.It really is NOT bad at all.
    Sue

Old 03-10-2005, 02:25 PM   #4
    dlh
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dlh HB User

I have 2 "permanent" screws.........i just had it done...was hoping to never have to have them out but it seems like alot of people do.....a girl can dream though..LOL

Old 03-10-2005, 03:06 PM   #5
    sharonssorefoot
    (female)

sharonssorefoot HB User

my friend at work had a screw put in after bunionectomy but is having to have it removed too! I wonder why some people need a screw and some don't.

hhahahhahahahahahaha. That sounds a little funny.

Sharon

Old 03-10-2005, 03:17 PM   #6
    dlh
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dlh HB User

LOL......VERY good question... ha ha. I wonder why they out thwm in, call them permanent and then take them out a year later.....makes no sence to me.

Old 03-11-2005, 11:53 AM   #7
    verylongday

verylongday HB User

I have two permanent screws from my November surgery and my doctor said they rarely evr take them out -- only if they start to work their way out on their own (i.e. start coming unscrewed. . . ).

I am crossing my fingers that mine stay put :-)

Old 03-11-2005, 07:12 PM   #8
    gypsy704

gypsy704 HB User

Thanks for the feedback. I am scheduled to have them removed next Friday. I have to have it done in the hospital with local and iv sedation.

Old 03-14-2005, 05:40 AM   #9
    susieblueyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

susieblueyes HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gypsy704
    Thanks for the feedback. I am scheduled to have them removed next Friday. I have to have it done in the hospital with local and iv sedation.
    Hi,
    Did they say why you needed to have them out? Other than pain.Did they move or are you having a reaction? Just wondering.Like I said I had them removed in each foot but have since had a fusion in the toe joint and he said that he put this screw very deep in the bone so I should not need to have it removed.And lucky me now I need the other part of my toe fused.Which means more hardware.Good luck and you will do fine, keep us posted.
    Sue

Old 03-14-2005, 02:21 PM   #10
    wilkb7

wilkb7 HB User

I had 2 screws removed in November. It was no big deal. They put me clear out because I said I didn't want to hear or feel anything. Small incisions, just have to deal with the stitches again, 2 weeks of not getting your foot wet, etc. Very little pain, just keep it elevated and iced for the first few days.

Old 03-14-2005, 09:12 PM   #11
    jdm1
    (female)

jdm1 HB User

I am glad that someone started this thread. I have three "permanent" screws and a plate in my big toe. I had a fusion with a bone graft in Feb. 04. I was told that the earliest they could come out was after 1 year. My OS said that about 40% of the people have them removed. The most common reason is irritation. The screw that is closest to the end of my big toe is irritating me. I also brusie around that spot. I am a teacher and don't want to take even more time off from school, so I am hoping to have them removed at the end of the school year.

I was glad to hear that people were having it done without general. I didn't do well with it on my last surgery and was hoping that I could have a local and sedation. I am very interested in how the procedure goes.

jdm

Old 03-15-2005, 08:14 AM   #12
    gypsy704

gypsy704 HB User

Thanks for the info. How long were you off of work? I work 12 hr shifts and am on my feet most of the day.

Old 03-15-2005, 08:55 AM   #13
    susieblueyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

susieblueyes HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdm1
    I am glad that someone started this thread. I have three "permanent" screws and a plate in my big toe. I had a fusion with a bone graft in Feb. 04. I was told that the earliest they could come out was after 1 year. My OS said that about 40% of the people have them removed. The most common reason is irritation. The screw that is closest to the end of my big toe is irritating me. I also brusie around that spot. I am a teacher and don't want to take even more time off from school, so I am hoping to have them removed at the end of the school year.

I was glad to hear that people were having it done without general. I didn't do well with it on my last surgery and was hoping that I could have a local and sedation. I am very interested in how the procedure goes.

jdm
    Hi,
    Can I ask you why you had a bone graft?
    Thank you,
    Sue

Old 03-15-2005, 11:08 PM   #14
    jdm1
    (female)

jdm1 HB User

Sue,
    I had my bone graft because I had had two previous surgeries on the joint in my big toe. The first was to "save" the joint, which did not work. The second was a titanium joint implant. With both of those surgeries the big toe was shorter. When I was having the fusion, the implant was removed. If there had been no bone graft I basically would have had a stub of a big toe. Therefore, to help with walking and balance etc., I had the graft. The bone was taken from the bump on my hip (the illiac crest?). That was actually the worst part of the recovery. I couldn't even go to the bathrom by myself. I couldn't sit up for about 3-4 days. At least I wasn't thinking about the pain in my foot.

Jennie

Old 03-16-2005, 04:49 AM   #15
    susieblueyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

susieblueyes HB User

Jennie,
    Thank you for the info.I remember chatting with you before about our previous surgeries.I have had way too many surgeries since then.I had my original bunion surgery in Nov of 03.Then had the hardware removed in Feb 04.On May 04 I had a second Dr. try and fix a complication from the first bunion surgery.They did somethin?(i forget) but he put a pin in to hold the big toe down and that did not work so then I just had surgery again on Jan 7th.With this surgery I had 2 very good Dr's and they removed my sesamoid bone, realigned my toe(redid bunion)lengthened a tendon and fused my toe joint.Soooo needless to say my toe is somewhat shorter also.After all of this crap my foot is worse than it was before and I'm scheduled to see another DR. on the 21st.Unfortunately I have to have the other joint fused.I also am thinking I will probably need a hammertoe fixed, that I have since developed from this latest surgery.Do you think they will suggest a graft?Sorry for rambling.......Thank you,
    Sue

Closed Thread