It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

ankle swelling- what now?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-08-2005, 11:06 PM   #61
Ltraci2
(female)

Ltraci2 HB User
Re: ankle swelling- what now?

Didn't read all the replies, but wanted to add that I had my left foot swelling all the time a few years back. My ankle would poof up horribly. I went in 3 different times to my doc and got told different stuff each time. Finally they did an ultrasound of my leg and I had a wonderful clot right below my knee. About 5 inches long. I was put on blood thinners and after 6 months went off them after my leg was ultrasounded again and the clot was gone.

And in the mornings the swelling would be less, so if you have doc appointments, make them for the late afternoon!

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2005, 08:01 AM   #62
dlh
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltraci2
Didn't read all the replies, but wanted to add that I had my left foot swelling all the time a few years back. My ankle would poof up horribly. I went in 3 different times to my doc and got told different stuff each time. Finally they did an ultrasound of my leg and I had a wonderful clot right below my knee. About 5 inches long. I was put on blood thinners and after 6 months went off them after my leg was ultrasounded again and the clot was gone.

And in the mornings the swelling would be less, so if you have doc appointments, make them for the late afternoon!

Good luck!

Wow..........I wouldn't have thought about that! Thanks for posting...definanly something to run by the DR!!!!!!!

Old 04-10-2005, 08:13 AM   #63
dlh
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggietaz
Hi Dawn,
I am posting with the name " MaggieTaz" my two labs, as I was having trouble with my password. Sounds like you are making some good progress with your toe, how about the ankle. Remember to keep moving it, mine still gets stiff even after 5 months. Work has been busy this week and I am fostering a lab this weekend, so that is keeping me busy as well. He is lying by my side sleeping at the moment,but the minute I move he moves, so it is going to be a long night as he doesn't want to be alone and I can't put him in the same room with my dogs, so it sounds like I may be sleeping with him! I go to the doctor next Tuesday and as far as I know will do the surgery on the right ankle, the middle of May. I set the date, but haven't received any paperwork yet. A cruise sounds like fun, you deserve it, you have been through a lot.
Take Care
Nancy
Nancy,
Yes, it is amazing how the foot is doing!!!!! Just last month I wouldn't have believed the progress it has made! My ankle is better...50-60 % I'd say. It still freezes and some days it is stiffer than others but I am still working on it and I really think it will be OK in time. Sounds like yout foster lab needs too be close! I wonder sometimes what goes through a dogs mind!!!
What day in MAy is your surgery? Well, at least you know what your in for...not that it makes it anymore enjoyable! LOL You will be starting your recovery as I sail away trying to put the last 4 months behind me. And yes, I do deserve it!!!!! We all do!
Well keep me updated on your right ankle...the date and all. I will be around the boards for a while...it's hard to leave even though I am getting better. !!
Dawn

Old 04-10-2005, 08:17 AM   #64
dlh
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

Jennie,

I have a really stupid question for you today.
I swear I can feel my toe moving...the fused toe of course. I know it cant be, it was 90 % fused when I saw the DR a couple of weeks ago and I have 2 long screws in it BUT>>>>> The top joint is starting to move on its own now...a little but without me having to move it. and I know the muscles, tendons or whatever are moving around the fused joint so my stupid question is did you ever have the sensation that your toe was moving or am I just plain crazy???
My hubby thinks I am nuts.
Dawn

Last edited by dlh; 04-10-2005 at 08:17 AM.

Old 04-11-2005, 07:16 PM   #65
jdm1
(female)

jdm1 HB User

Dawn,
You are so NOT nuts. There have been times that I thought the toe was moving too. I am not sure what joint you had fused. Mine was between the second and third metatarsal. Therefore, the joints above and below the fusion still move. Once I was moving the bathroom scale with my foot (I know should have bent over), and I swear it felt as though the toe curved around the edge with the other four. I think the "mopvement" we feel is the tendons, etc.

How is your ankle? Still moving more each day? How is working? My ankle had been feeling pretty good, but last night it was really achy. I will be glad to see the doctor and figure out was is going on. Is that wrong to be glad to see a doctor?

Jennie

Old 04-12-2005, 01:04 PM   #66
dlh
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

Jennie,
I think at this point it is crazy to want to see a DR !!! No, really...I understand how you feel about that...at least you will hopefully get some answers! Glad it is doing OK. You must have over done it last night. Mine still swells but not as bad and only if I have been on it alot. It hurts alot but I still think its from the sprain last year.
I had my big toe joint fused where the toe and the foot meet. the top joint isnt fused so it really is moving some. It has to be the muscles or tendons...I know I fewel something but at least I know I am not crazy. It freaked me out a little because so much has gone wrong now I am paraniod. I tried to push a five gallon of paint today at work with my foot...yeh, we should bend. Not a good idea!!! LOL. I guess I will get use to all this weird stuff...I dont know. Keep me posted on your ankle...May 5th you said???
Dawn

Old 04-12-2005, 08:17 PM   #67
jdm1
(female)

jdm1 HB User

Dawn,
Yes, May 5th. It will be a long three and half weeks. Glad to hear that you are doing better. A paint can with your foot? That is as good as my box of rocks.

Jennie

Old 04-19-2005, 06:04 PM   #68
dlh
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

Jennie,
just checking in to see how you are doing...............same here...frustrated. but still alot better than a couple of weeks ago.....

Old 04-19-2005, 08:02 PM   #69
jdm1
(female)

jdm1 HB User

Dawn,
I am doing about the same. It seems as though the swelling is the same, but some days I am more achy than others. I will be glad to see the doc and hopefully get some answers. I think there is a lot of "frustrated" going around right now. It must be catchy. I just try to remember that even though every thing is not"perfect", but I am much better off than I was before the fusion.

Jennie

Old 04-20-2005, 06:45 PM   #70
dlh
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

Jennie,
I try to remember how much better I am too but it is hard sometimes! Especially when I feel I should be further along in my recovery. I know my DR told me it would take me londer than most because of all I have had done but this is crazy!!!!! I got stuck on a ladder today at work, got up but couldnt get down and I was only up 2 steps!!! My son had to watch me cry...talk about frustrating, I was so mad I shed tears!!! I will check out those sandles you mentioned...i go on my cruise next month and really want to wear sandles...thanks for the tip! I am hoping too that I am in the 60 % but ya know...there was a 10% chance my hardware could slip and it did...I always end up on the wrong side of the odds. Maybe this is the one where I break that!!! Ok....glad everything isnt worse.....keep me posted after you see the DR, OKAY?!!!
Dawn

Closed Thread