It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

ankle swelling- what now?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-16-2005, 05:37 PM   #1
jdm1
(female)

jdm1 HB User
ankle swelling- what now?

I have a question for you guys, does anyone know any thing about gout?

Here is my situation in a nutshell: I had a fusion in Feb 04. Pretty everything has been good. Last Thursday my ankle on the fusion foot was a bit achy and my manicurist noticed that it was swollen. (Gotta love the pedicures!) I had not twisted or turned or done anything else that I can recall. Anyhow, I showed my mom and she thought it felt like there was fluid in there. She suggested that I go to urgent care since I was going away for the weekend. Off I go!

The urgent care was a complete waste of time! I spent three hours - missing Surviour and The Apprentice- for a dr to telling my that it was probablyy strain on the ligamnets or tendons, and here is a prescription for an anti inflammatory. She also said to follow up with my dr. Gee thanks!

I called my podiatrist who had done my prior surgeries, just not the fusion. He recommended that I contiue the anti-inflammatory and watch it. He said to call if I did not feel better. He also was wondering if it might be a case of gout.

I called on Tuesday and the nurse says the earliest I can get in is April 18th. I am wondering if I should wait or try to see the doc who did my fusion. Any advice? Also, does anyone know anything about gout?

Thanks for reading the long post.
jdm1

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2005, 06:57 PM   #2
dlh
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User
Re: ankle swelling- what now?

OK........I know nothing about gout but I am doing a search as soon as I post this.
It is werid that you posted this because I was going to myself. I had my fusion Jan 6th. I did sprain my ankle after that but not bad, I just twisted it and it didnt swell or anything BUT last week I noticed my ankle was huge...almost triple sometimes and looks almost bruised, really red & some purple and it is very gushy in an area about silver dollor sized. I thought maybe it was from my foot, just swelling that traveled or something but it isnt going away...seems to be getting worse. I wasnt going to call my DR but think I will now. Go ahead and call the DR that did the fusion...I wouldnt wait if you dont have too and you never know what it could be. I have talked myself into calling mine too now........thanks for the post...how weird though...and to miss the apprentice & survivor for now answer, thats just wrong. LOL I admit, I am an apprentice junkie! Let me know what it turns out to be, OK?????
dlh

Old 03-16-2005, 09:32 PM   #3
jdm1
(female)

jdm1 HB User

dlh,
Thanks for the response. I will be calling the doctor this week. Of course, it will probably take a couple of weeks to get in. I did do a search on gout and according to the sites I saw, it might be that. I guess I will go to the doctor. But no Thursday nights, not willing to miss TV.

Jennie

Old 03-16-2005, 09:38 PM   #4
dlh
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

LOL!!!!! Survivor was on tonite...I looked up gout too...at least that seems managable enough. Does yours stay swollen all the time? Do you have full range of motion? Just wondering, mine seems to be frozen and barely moves up even when we try to force it.
dlh

Old 03-17-2005, 03:41 PM   #5
dlh
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

Jennie,
Just to let you know I called my Dr today and it is normal to have some swelling in the ankle but if it is severe and/or painful maybe something else is going on. Of course I am doing the elevate it, take the anti-flams & call me monday thing.......gonna be a long weekend! LOL

Old 03-17-2005, 07:06 PM   #6
jdm1
(female)

jdm1 HB User

Thanks for the info. My ankle is swollen even with the anti-inflam. It is also in two places. One is right around the outside edge of the ankle and the other spot is lower down more on the side of the foot.

I did try calling the dr today, but I was too late. I will call tomorrow, but I have a feeling I won't get in til after Spring Break. I will be out of town for the week anyway. Spring break -one of the advatages of being a teacher.

Yes, I caught Survivor and tonight is the Apprentice. Can't wait! Thanks for sharing your experience. It is so nice to know that I am not the only going through this.

Jennie

Old 03-17-2005, 07:36 PM   #7
dlh
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

Jennie....
soundslike there might be something going on there with that ankle.....hope you get in soon. I know I have problebly read this before but when was your fusion again? Do you find it hard to walk?

Old 03-18-2005, 09:47 PM   #8
jdm1
(female)

jdm1 HB User

Still wasn't able to get a hold of the doctor today. Ugh!

My fusion was in Feb. 04. When I started walking it was after 4 weeks, but I was in a walking cast. Then I was in a CAM walker fior another 4 weeks. Up until the ankle issue, my walking has been good. I now have a big toe imprint on my orthodic. That hadn't happened in years.

How is your ankle doing? Has the swelling gone done?

Jennie

Old 03-19-2005, 12:55 PM   #9
dlh
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

Jennie,
I thought it was a year ago...about the same time eko had it, right? I was asking about how you were walking because I seem to be having a hard time. I am 10 weeks and was hoping to be doing better. Oh well... I sure hope you get ahold of your DR soon...how is it? Still swelling? Mine is but it seems to be more when I am on it, it hurts all the time though but I really think it is partly from the surgery & partly because I have sprained it recently...it took almost 3 months to heal last year when I did it. Let me know if you get ahold of the DR.....enjoy your spring break...when is yours? Fl is this coming week.
Dawn another question about the fusion......can you squat & be on your tippy toes at all? I just cant imagine ever going it again!

Old 03-19-2005, 10:01 PM   #10
jdm1
(female)

jdm1 HB User

Dawn,
Yes, my surgery was about a month or so before eko's. We traded many posts going through our healing process. I am still swollen but have cut down the anti-inflammatories to once a day. My stomach can only take so much.

My Spring Break is the week after Easter. Yeah! We actually get Good Friday off too so only 4 more school days. My boyfriend and I are going to Dallas and I am worried about the swelling on the airplane. I am actually thinking I might wear the surgical shoe for the trip.

I can squat but I roll to the outside of my foot if I am going really low. I can only rise a bit up on my tiptoes. I have found that I can get creative in ways to compensate for my lack of movement.

Jennie

Old 03-20-2005, 06:58 AM   #11
sharonssorefoot
(female)

sharonssorefoot HB User

My ankle stays swollen but that is because I am overcompsensating so as not to put too much weight on ball of foot. But I have full range of motion in ankle and it is not sore. I think jdm should tell doc about her symptoms to rule out anything serious. What in the world is gout???

I too am an Apprentice junkie and am also watching Survivor this season for the 1st time. Survivor makes me feel less sorry for myself. LOL

Sharon

Old 03-20-2005, 09:05 AM   #12
dlh
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

Jennie,

thanks so much for your reply. I feel better about it now, I can do "creative" LOL!
Nothing wrong with wearing that surgical shoe on the plane, it may help! Have a wonderful time in Dallas!!!
Yeh, I am only taking the anti-flams once a day too for the same reason, those things kill me! My hubby insist I see my Dr this week because as hard as he tries he just cant get that ankle to budge and when he does it it feels like he is pushing my hip...very weird feeling. Anyway have fun & relax!!!!!
Dawn

Old 03-21-2005, 10:27 PM   #13
jdm1
(female)

jdm1 HB User

Sharon,
I am having difficulty getting ahold of the doc, but I am trying. I have learned a bit about gout and basically it is too much of an certain acid (can't remember the name right now). It build up and settles in the joints. One source of the acid is meats and seafood. I eat both but not on a regualr basis. Hopefully I will get in soon.

Dawn,
I figure with the shoe maybe I will get through security quicker. I can hope. When I had the CAM walker and flew I did not have to wait in line. We shall see. It is amazing how creative we can become when we have to. I have found that I use my legs more instead of just the toes.

Jennie

Old 03-22-2005, 06:40 AM   #14
dlh
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

Jennie,
I am off the the DR this morning for the ankle......of course it isnt swollen!!!! I am sure it is nothing but I will post later to let you know how it went. I hope they have pity on you and let you jump in line.....that would be great!!!
Dawn

Old 03-22-2005, 08:25 AM   #15
spacey_11

spacey_11 HB User

I believe gout is caused by the build up and crystalization of uric acid in the joints, but I am not positive.

Closed Thread