It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Broken Foot and Heel (calcaneus)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-26-2005, 07:03 AM   #1
    sungirlcali
    (female)

sungirlcali HB User
    Question Broken Foot and Heel (calcaneus)

On 2/12, I was in a pretty serious car wreck. Amazingly, the only thing I'm dealing with is a broken foot....

I have seven separate fractures in my right foot--one of them is a "calcaneus" fracture. I was lucky not to require surgery (as of yet). The orthopedic surgeon assured me that my bones are lined up and will heal nicely, as long as I keep the weight off the foot.

So I have been on crutches since then. I have been EXTREMELY careful with my foot. I have not returned to work and am on temp disability (even though my employer was pushing me to return after a mere two weeks).

Anyway, my next appointment is this Wednesday. I'm supposed to get the cast taken off. Question is....what do you think happens now? I assume I won't be able to walk right away. Is it likely that I'll wear some kind of orthopedic shoe or boot? Physical therapy? I know you can't tell me for sure, but what were some of your experiences?

I'm so glad I found this board. It's good to know I'm not alone. I just hope that I don't lose my job over this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2008, 04:14 PM   #2
    triguy450
    Veteran
    (male)

triguy450 HB Usertriguy450 HB User
    Re: Broken Foot and Heel (calcaneus)

Hi,

I would seriously question the doctor. If you read the posts regarding calcaneous fractures on these boards, not one person is walking for at least 8-12 weeks after the accident or surgery. Most bones take 6 weeks to heal, the foot takes much longer.

A friend of mine broke her ankle in a fall and wasn't walking again for 8 months after surgery which included pins, plates and screws.

If your doctor is still telling you 2-3 weeks you might want to get a 2nd opinion by an orthopedic foot and ankle doctor.

Good luck

Closed Thread