It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Help! Numb toes...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-02-2005, 06:03 AM   #1
    cindyx4
    (female)

cindyx4 HB User
    Help! Numb toes...

Hello,

At first when I would walk on the treadmill my 2nd and 3rd toes on both feet would go numb. Then my toes on my left foot only would go numb sitting in the bathtub or standing in the shower. For the last 24 hours, my toes on my left foot have gone numb off and on with no true cause. I had an EMG done in Sept of last year that indicated I had some irritation to my peroneal nerve on the left leg and some neuropathy. My doctor never mentioned this and never thought it was a problem.

So, I'm curious what I do at this point? Do I just let them stay numb? Will this cause permanent damage? ANy feedback?

Thanks.

Cindy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2005, 04:08 PM   #2
    imhdab
    (female)

imhdab HB User
    Re: Help! Numb toes...

Hi,

I too have experienced numbness in my toes when working out... I use the elliptical machine (or did before my surgery) and would only experience this when I would go for 45+ minutes. I always assumed it was my footwear but I'm not sure. I always buy good shoes and take a long time in the store before buying to make sure they fit right. (I drive those salespeople crazy!)

I'll ask my doc at my next visit and let you know if he knows what might be causing this.

~Heather

Old 09-15-2006, 11:25 PM   #3
    irememberujody
    (female)

irememberujody HB User

I have had numb toes ever since my back surgery. But even before that i was told that my toes being numb during and after exercise was due to poor circulation. It may not be anywhere near the foot, but come from not having good flow due to another problem in the body. The extremities are the last to get the blood flow, the toes and fingers due to that area having the least fat pads..outside of a back problem...lumbar region, compression on a nerve there could be the reason...there is a nerve that goes right to those toes and skips the rest of the leg....also, compression in the ankle region, even though you have no signs...leads to numb toes....a blockage in that area of the ankle...first sign of disc problems though are tingling and numbness in the toes...believe me, i have had 5 gerniated discs in the last 5 years and ignored the signs till it went full herniation...if you can catch a slight herniation you can get chiropractor or electo therapy, acupuncture and pt....all to help the disc move back in....

Old 09-17-2006, 07:23 AM   #4
    jules3
    Inactive
    (female)

jules3 HB User

Im very curious to know why this happens..i too use the elipetical at the gym and find that my toes get numb. i had a bunionectomy 7 mths ago..i too will ask the doc about this..i mean its not a terrible thing..its just annoying. i am going to buy new sneakers to see if that helps..

Old 09-17-2006, 05:44 PM   #5
    cindyx4
    (female)

cindyx4 HB User

Hello:

I posted this question some time ago. Since that time I have had surgery on both legs/feet. I had neurolysis of the deep and superficial peroneal nerves. I had some success with the surgery but not a lot. I'm fiding that I still have a toe or two that is numb. I go back for my 6 week check up tomorrow morning and hopefully I will get more info.

Cindy

Closed Thread