It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Now you've got me thinking double...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-04-2005, 08:00 PM   #1
    maddiesmom

maddiesmom HB User
    Now you've got me thinking double...

Okay, I had decided to do one bunion surgery in June and the other foot next June as that is when I can get the most help... but now I've read some posts on double bunionectomies and wonder if I should just throw caution to the wind and do it.

As I said in a previous post I am scheduled to have an Austin bunionectomy and tailor's bunionectomy with osteotomy on June 10th on my right foot. My husband will be on vacation that week so I'll have him 24/7 for a little over a week and then he's going to drive me (and my daughters) 4 hours north to stay with my parents where my brother will also be. My family has said they will do everything they can to help me recover. I also have my babysitter who lives nextdoor who is currently out of a summer job that I know I could pay every single day to come watch my girls while I rest in bed with my drugs and my ice packs!

Am I crazy for thinking about having them both done? I figured I'd need a wheelchair, etc. and it wouldn't be feasible but some of you have said you didn't need wheelchairs, etc? Can you estimate the total time you needed round the clock care (ex.being carried to the bathroom and placed on the toilet, etc)? I guess what I'm saying is: I don't mind asking my husband to carry me to and from the toilet while he's home for a week but I do feel weird asking my brother to bring me there! So, is it feasible to think, one week after a double bunionectomy, that I could actually get to the bathroom and onto the toilet by myself? As silly as it may sound the answer to this question will seriously impact my decision so I appreciate any advice you can give.

My biggest fear about both at once is that you are severely crippled, especially if there are complications with the surgery- you've just given up the only other foot you had to get you through! I am also worried about being over anxious to get back on my feet (I'm somewhat of a busybody) and screwing up healing time, etc. My baby girl is turning 1 in the middle of July (a month after my surgery) and I'd love to be able to make her a cake and enjoy her party and I don't know that I could do that having had both feet done. Any thoughts?

Last edited by maddiesmom; 04-04-2005 at 08:06 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2005, 04:12 AM   #2
    feetfirst
    (female)

feetfirst HB User
    Re: Now you've got me thinking double...

Hi maddiesmom,

I really felt I was in a position that I could do both feet at once. I really wanted to get it done & over with, but my doctor would not do both at the same time, because of recovery issues. Now that I have one done.. I can say I am glad I didn't do both. It is very difficult to have just one good leg & foot! My doctor said that the second foot could be done in 4 weeks following the first... I am definately going to do it soon, but I think it might be closer to 6-8 weeks instead. I feel I need to be able to walk 'okay' with one foot.

Old 04-05-2005, 08:42 AM   #3
    sharonssorefoot
    (female)

sharonssorefoot HB User

A friend of mine had both done at the same time and she had small children too. She said it was absolutly awful and very difficult BUT, she doesnt regret it AT ALL. She said one foot or two, its extremly difficult and awful so might as well go thru it once. You also sound like you have a great support system!!

Go with your gut!
    Sharon

Old 04-05-2005, 09:44 AM   #4
    rollargirl
    (female)

rollargirl HB User

For my 2 cents it would depend on the severity of your surgeries. My doc wouldn't do both of mine at the same time. If both feet are non-weight bearing I wouldn't do it but if you could put weight on your heels, it would not be quite so bad. I'm 24 hours post-op on my second foot and not looking forward to another month on the couch.

Old 04-05-2005, 05:46 PM   #5
    Looby
    (female)

Looby HB User

My Dr. wouldn't do both feet at the same time. He told me if you do both feet at the same time, there is a ten times higher rate of a complication or injury. (I forget his exact words) I told him that I would be resting and having someone take care of me; but he still said no.
    I'm not looking foward to another surgery, but when it's all over, I'll be glad.

Old 04-05-2005, 08:26 PM   #6
    joll43
    Veteran
    (female)

joll43 HB User

My doc wouldn't do both at once either, and frankly, I was freaked out enough being here when my fiance was at work during a snowstorm - what if there's a fire? I know that's extreme, but I couldn't imagine having to get somewhere fast on crutches, let alone a wheelchair.

Aside from that, right now I'm in physical therapy, and this time (10.5 weeks post-op) is much harder than I thought it would be; I'm trying to get my range of motion back and the strength in my foot and toes, and it's PAINFUL - it swells and I have to ice it and put it up, and if I didn't have my good foot to lean on, literally, I'd be back in bed. I'm also glad I have one good foot so I can judge how my bad foot is doing - it's amazing what you forget after all these weeks. I actually have to bend the toe on my good foot back to remember what I'm supposed to be able to do - I hope that makes sense.

I'm not looking forward to my next foot either, but I wouldn't have gotten through it if I'd done both at once.

Old 04-05-2005, 08:32 PM   #7
    Megan Eliza
    (female)

Megan Eliza HB User

My doctor strongly advocates doing both at the same time.. his thinking is one anesthesia, one disability, and one (albeit more intense initially) recovery time.

I'm having both feet done tomorrow morning.. so I'll let you all know how my progess is. On the suggestion of someone else on these boards, I got myself knee pads.. so after a few days I imagine I will be able to pee independently just fine !

I am so ready for my surgery!
    Wish me luck tomorrow morning,
    Megan

Old 04-05-2005, 09:31 PM   #8
    Looby
    (female)

Looby HB User

Megan- good luck!!

Old 04-06-2005, 05:35 AM   #9
    susieblueyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

susieblueyes HB User

Good luck Megan!
    Sue

Old 04-06-2005, 07:04 AM   #10
    joll43
    Veteran
    (female)

joll43 HB User

Wow! Good luck!

Old 04-06-2005, 07:09 AM   #11
    dlh
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dlh HB User

Were sending you good thoughts......Good luck!
    dlh

Old 04-06-2005, 12:31 PM   #12
    rollargirl
    (female)

rollargirl HB User

Good luck to you Megan!!! We will be anxious to hear how you are doing.

Linda

Old 04-06-2005, 12:43 PM   #13
    feetfirst
    (female)

feetfirst HB User

Good luck Megan! I don't blame you for wanting to get it over with (I did too), plus it is a savings I am sure! Drop us a line as soon as you can!

Closed Thread