It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Anyone have bunionectomies 2 months apart?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-29-2005, 03:50 PM   #1
    maddiesmom

maddiesmom HB User
    Anyone have bunionectomies 2 months apart?

Just wondering what the consensus is...

I had my 1st bunionectomy June 10th and for whatever reason my toe/bone moved/shifted a little so while the bunions are gone (on my right foot) my foot isn't as straight as it could be. Nothing we can do about it now. I guess that sort of thing just happens?

Anyways, I am seeing my doctor next Friday (August 5) to determine if I'm fit to go through with getting my 2nd foot done. He has to x-ray the foot to be sure it has healed properly and is strong enough to become the dominant foot. He said, in general, he likes to have AT LEAST 8 weeks between bunionectomies.

I know everyone's different, etc. but have any of you had the surgeries so close together and do you regret it or were you fine? I had an Austin bunionectomy w/ tailor's bunionectomy w/ osteotomy done. I have a permanent screw in my big toe. Overall, my recovery has been fine. I am back to the gym and am driving and doing everything I was doing before with next to no pain. At my 6 week visit the podiatrist said he was amazed at my lack of swelling and pain. So, I feel good that I've healed well. Just wondering if it's a good idea or not... the problem is: if I don't do it now (within the next few weeks) I won't be able to do it (ie. I won't have the help, time, etc.) for another year and my 2nd toe on my left foot is raising up because the big toe is now moving underneath it... I bet it's only a matter of time before the 2nd toe is hammertoed... as it is I have already started getting ingrown toenails in that toe. Truth is, I don't know that I can and/or want to wait another year and have what could've been a simple surgery be more involved due to a hammertoe, etc.

Any thoughts? Personal stories?

Last edited by maddiesmom; 07-29-2005 at 03:52 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2005, 08:28 AM   #2
    rollargirl
    (female)

rollargirl HB User
    Re: Anyone have bunionectomies 2 months apart?

My surgeries were about three months apart but I wasn't at the activity level you are now before my second surgery. If you can do all that, I'd say you could handle it. Just remember you bunion/hammertoe will be worse by next year which means a more invasive surgery. Both of my second toes were so badly hammered they had to be fused. That pin sticking out of the end of the toe for 4 weeks is no picnic!
    Linda
    p.s. could your bone have moved because you are doing too much too soon?

Old 07-30-2005, 05:47 PM   #3
    maddiesmom

maddiesmom HB User

I don't think the bone moved because I was doing too much too soon, I hope not anyways. I was very careful in the beginning, though I took a fall once but had it x-rayed and found it was fine. It wasn't until my foot was unwrapped after my stitches came out that I noticed it started to move. It sounds weird but it was like the bandages and gauze that went between my big toe and second toe were the only reason my foot looked straight. The podiatrist did say it does happen and he's not sure why but I sure wish I knew so I could be better informed for my next surgery. Like I said, I was really careful, had my foot iced and elevated almost the entire day for the first few weeks. When I did move it was on crutches, I actually stayed on crutches for an extra week because I was nervous about my fall doing any damage. It is disappointing to have the bone moved but the doctor said it is a minor shift and is still a very good correction for my foot.

I do wonder, though, if having flat feet has anything to do with it? Without a nice strong arch I feel it is probable that I didn't have the support to keep my toe aligned the way it should've been.

Thanks for your reply!

Last edited by maddiesmom; 07-30-2005 at 05:47 PM.

Old 07-30-2005, 09:52 PM   #4
    rollargirl
    (female)

rollargirl HB User

Maddiesmom--I have flat feet too and mine hasn't moved. My first surgery (1/10/05) did turn inward ever so slightly but it looks more natural now. My big toes were straight as a board post-op.

Old 07-31-2005, 10:42 AM   #5
    wakkochic17
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wakkochic17 HB User

maddiesmom.. I was the same as you.. I've found myself wearing my toe seperators again to keep my toe straight.. it keeps moving inwards.. I go back to the doc in a week and a half so I'm going to ask him about it then...

Old 08-04-2005, 07:04 AM   #6
    angdang
    (female)

angdang HB User

My first surgery was also on June 10 and tomorrow (at exactly 8 weeks) I will be entering the hospital for my left foot.
    I'm also on a tight schedule and am so happy that Dr. feels the right feet can handle being "in charge" After all elevating the left foot means the right one can't go anywhere!! and it's probably a lot better than the activity I do now.
    In this heat I am trying to get into the mindset that there are a lot worse places to be than on the couch in the airconditioning. I know I know, but Tahiti is not beckoning anyway.
    My toe on the right foot is definitly drifting, but the huge bunion is gone and I guess that's the main thing.
    Well I've got my pain RX and am going to 'pack' to move downstairs. See ya.

Old 08-06-2005, 10:51 PM   #7
    angdang
    (female)

angdang HB User

I had my second bunionectomy yesterday at exactly 8 weeks apart. I came home very devoted to being an excellent patient and lying flat for the first 3 days.(with foot elevated) Taking the pain pills and anticipating next spring, dancing at my daughters wedding wiht no pain!

Last edited by angdang; 08-19-2005 at 10:14 PM.

Old 08-07-2005, 08:50 AM   #8
    wakkochic17
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wakkochic17 HB User

good luck! sometimes it's not bad to bite the bullet and get it all over with. I just got my first bill for the first one (June 10th) .. so now I think I am going to wait as long as possible to get the other one done!

Old 08-16-2005, 11:05 PM   #9
    angdang
    (female)

angdang HB User
    Qqq

Today I am at week 2, and yesteday my stitches were removed. One dr. was talking to me while the other 'unstiched' so it didn't go badly at all. I was told I can shower the foot in a day or so, I will wait until tomorrow, I still feel tentative about wetting it.
    Circumstances have forced me to be much more on my own this time around and it is not the driving foot so I have been up and around quite a bit.
    around the house I am trying to get things done, do the laundry, prepare food etc. I have gone along to the supermarket (riding on the cart) and
    water the lawn, go out to lunch etc.
    I find amazing that it is only 2 weeks today. I needed the pain pills more days this time around, but the foot is hardly swollen, doc says I am healing like a baby.
    When I try on my old shoes, I get the feeling that the width is too tight, so even though the foot looks pretty good there probably is some residual swelling . Has anyone gone up in width after bunionectomy, down the road when the swelling is not a factor. I just have the feeling that my feet are bigger, Do you think they were switched at the hospital?

Last edited by angdang; 08-19-2005 at 10:23 PM.

Closed Thread