It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Instep Pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-12-2005, 06:51 PM   #1
    almonkey
    Veteran
    (female)

almonkey HB User
    Instep Pain

My husband has been complaining about pain in 1 of his feet for weeks. He is right handed but its his left foot that is bothering him. The pain is exteme when he firsts gets up and starts to walk. It is in the instep/arch of his foot. He says its stabbing like. In the evening he describes it as being tender. He hasnt done anything but he does work on his feet on cement floors. Im wondering if his arches are falling? Im wondering if we should try something in his shoes or should we just schedule an appt. w/ a podiatrist. Any advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2005, 07:03 PM   #2
    doglover
    (male)

doglover HB User
    Re: Instep Pain

He may have plantar fasciitis (spelling). I have just been diagnosed with it. It is very painful. He will probably have to see a doctor about it.

Old 08-12-2005, 07:11 PM   #3
    almonkey
    Veteran
    (female)

almonkey HB User

Even though the pain is not in his heel? If this is it, would he get relief from stretching? Thanks.

Old 08-12-2005, 07:13 PM   #4
    doglover
    (male)

doglover HB User

If it is PF, then stretching will help. I used to have minor pain in thee heel and it progressively got worse.

Old 08-13-2005, 08:04 AM   #5
    swissnut
    (female)

swissnut HB User

My pain has never been in my heels - always in the arch and although I don't have MAJOR pain in the morning it is horribly tender in the evenings - go see a doc now and please be assertive in getting more than just an anti-inflamatory - look to the inserts, do the stretches and ice it ice it ice it (you can ice every two hours but that usually isn't feasible in the real world but maybe at lunch and then in the evening) - take little paper cups fill them with water then freeze them - tear off the top half and rub it on the bottom of the foot for 5-7 minutes (any longer and you can do damage according to my physical therapist) Good luck but as others will tell you take this seriously it can be a very long road to recovery - the sooner you catch it the better!

Old 08-13-2005, 08:11 AM   #6
    swissnut
    (female)

swissnut HB User

oh ya and the best "before you get out of bed stretch" I have found is to sit on the side of the bed, take the offending foot and lay it accross the opposite thigh. With the same-side hand pull the toes back toward the shin. The foot should be flexed and there should be a nice stretch along the bottom - now take the heel of the other hand and rub up and down the bottom of the foot with significant pressure - a good stretch should be felt. Do this for at least 60 seconds . . . BEFORE putting any weight on the foot. Second good stretch is to sit on the side of the bed and extend the injured leg straight out - pull the toes back with hands or a towel - slowly lean toward the leg hold for 60 seconds - the stretch should be felt up the back of the calf.

Old 08-14-2005, 03:27 PM   #7
    almonkey
    Veteran
    (female)

almonkey HB User

THanks for all the input, advice and information! Hopefully we can get a diagnosis and apply your input! Guess it wouldnt hurt him to start stretching now! Thanks again.

Old 08-15-2005, 01:41 PM   #8
    RegularGuy7
    (male)

RegularGuy7 HB User

For what it's worth...this sounds exactly like what's happening with me. I too am right handed and yet it is my left foot that bothers me. Right under the arch, almost to the heel is always so sore and painful. I used to just chalk it up to excessively squatting on my toes while I did gardening because it seemed to go away after a few days off my feet. But it's been getting worse and worse. I had no idea there was a condition for this. Should I see a doctor? What can he do / perscribe?

Closed Thread