It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Permanent Screw Removal

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-17-2005, 08:31 AM   #1
    TerriC
    (female)

TerriC HB User
    Permanent Screw Removal

Those of you who had permanent screws as part of any surgery, bunionectomy, osteotomy, etc., and had them removed, what was the deciding factor to have them removed?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2005, 09:28 AM   #2
    cocobean
    (female)

cocobean HB User
    Re: Permanent Screw Removal

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TerriC
    Those of you who had permanent screws as part of any surgery, bunionectomy, osteotomy, etc., and had them removed, what was the deciding factor to have them removed?
    i am having my permanent bunion screw removed next wednesday. the screw was placed to high and my toe doesnt lay flat on the ground, also a few weeks ago i began having excruciating stabbing pain in my toe. my dr said the screw i loose. i also have this weird tingling nerve sensation, which i attribute to the screw being loose and hitting a nerve. i had my bunion surgery done 2 yrs ago. i also have been searching these boards for others that may have had similiar experiences. i do have to have gen anethesia.

Old 08-17-2005, 12:02 PM   #3
    eko
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

eko HB Usereko HB User

I had my two screws from a bunionectomy removed when I needed to have another surgery on that same foot. The screws did not need to come out, but my Dr. said since he was already going to be cutting there, may as well remove them because the foot had healed and they were no longer needed. This surgery was done with IV sedation and a local. I don't understand why you would need a general to have screws removed, unless there is more to it than you shared. I'd ask about avoiding general anesthia, why go through that if you do not need to. -eko

Old 08-18-2005, 08:22 AM   #4
    wakkochic17
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wakkochic17 HB User

my mom had her screws removed this past April from a bunionectomy she had 1 year prior. For her, her body did not like the screws being there and gave her a lot of pain and scar tissue kept forming around them. After a year of pain meds, PT, etc.. they doc finally said he had to take them out. The procedure was real simple though, she had almost immediate relief of the pain and was back up and around in less than two weeks (the doc had to remove a lot of scar tissue so in her case it was more invasive than just removing the screws). So far my screws haven't caused any problems, but I am only at 10 weeks and still healing, so it's too soon to say if mine are going to be ok for good..

Old 08-18-2005, 03:07 PM   #5
    JudoBill
    (male)

JudoBill HB User

I have three screws in my left foot following surgery to fix a lisfranc dislocation. As far as I know, they haven't caused me any pain, but I can't say for sure- I get little pains that come and go as my foot heals. When I first saw my orthopedist after surgery, he told me that screw removal was a big debate and some people believe they should come out while others insist that they should stay in. At that point he said it was basically my call. However, when I saw him at my 8 week post-op visit, he said that, having thought about it more, it would probably make sense to take the screws out at 4 mos. post-op. He said it would be a quick procedure and that you really only need a day of downtime. So, I'd be curious to hear what others have been told, but I think I am going to have them taken out.

Old 08-18-2005, 06:40 PM   #6
    cocobean
    (female)

cocobean HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eko
    I had my two screws from a bunionectomy removed when I needed to have another surgery on that same foot. The screws did not need to come out, but my Dr. said since he was already going to be cutting there, may as well remove them because the foot had healed and they were no longer needed. This surgery was done with IV sedation and a local. I don't understand why you would need a general to have screws removed, unless there is more to it than you shared. I'd ask about avoiding general anesthia, why go through that if you do not need to. -eko
    i am actually having what is called a twilight sedation, you are asleep but not unconscious and on a ventilator like general. sometimes people call anything where you are asleep "general". i work in a dental office, and i know that when you go to an oral surgeon to get teeth removed, they call it general. i guess its using the term too loosely, im just used to that term.
    sorry!!

Old 08-18-2005, 08:55 PM   #7
    torresm
    (female)

torresm HB User

I am going into surgery tomorrow am and I am afraid. The Dr. says, that I have a choice of either a titanium screw, which would not have to be removed or a screw that will disolve in time. He said that the difference is that the self disolving screw surgery takes longer to heal and that the chances of the foot regressing some to old position is greater. Please help with comments on anything you might know about the two different types of screws or anthing related.

Old 08-19-2005, 07:14 AM   #8
    TerriC
    (female)

TerriC HB User

I have titanium screws, which are permanent. I have swelling near the screws which won't go away and they is always discomfort or pain near the site of the screws. My doc said its my call - my toe is in great shape - so it would be nice to be totally pain free for once in a very long time. Just was wondering the recovery - he said 2 weeks in the post op shoe since there will be holes left that need to fill in, so there is a small risk of bone fracture. He's willing to use "bone putty" to fill the holes, to give them extra strength. Now its trying to figure out when to do it!

Old 08-19-2005, 11:58 AM   #9
    feetfirst
    (female)

feetfirst HB User

I have had surgery on both feet, first the right 5 months ago, and than the left 3 months ago. My left foot is doing great, but the right foot has continued to bother me. I had an Austin Bunionectomy with 2 screws PLUS an ostemomy on the second metatarsal with a pin holding it ( a small section of bone removed to shorten the lenght because my weight was distributed more to the 2nd toe than the 1st, causing me to develop hard calluses that became painful). I just came back from the doctors, after another visit regarding pain under the second metatarsal (feels like I am walking on the bone) and after several x-rays and exams, he feels that the pin may be causing the problem so I am scheduled for surgery on the 24th of this month.

He assured me that it was nothing to have this removed, and that I could just have a local, of a little sedation - he said it was up to me. He also told me if I just had a local, I could drive myself to and from surgery... but the nurses told me to bring my old black walking shoe!! ??? I really am tired of this foot/feet recovery and hope that it is as easy as the doctor has indicated!

Old 08-19-2005, 02:47 PM   #10
    TerriC
    (female)

TerriC HB User

That sounds like the kind of surgery I would like - awake so I can ask a million questions I have another question - those of you who have had surgery - do you have a white ridge on your toenails? All my toes have this and I'm assuming that its a result of the surgery - sort of like the ring that trees have in the middle indicating like changing events. Beneath the ridge, the nail is normal.

Closed Thread