It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Does this sound like a bunionette/tailor's bunion?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-18-2005, 09:55 PM   #1
    Mysticism
    (male)

Mysticism HB User
    Does this sound like a bunionette/tailor's bunion?

I have a very small reddish lump at the base of my little toe on my left foot. My little toe also points in some. There's also a smaller similar affliction on my right foot. They usually don't hurt but I'm curious about them and after reading, I found they might be bunionettes/tailor's bunions. I previously though bunions could only occur at the base of the big toe. Anyway, what do you all think?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2005, 09:51 AM   #2
    Mysticism
    (male)

Mysticism HB User
    Re: Does this sound like a bunionette/tailor's bunion?

Can anyone help, please?

Old 08-20-2005, 01:06 PM   #3
    Suni321
    (female)

Suni321 HB User

Could be a bunionette but, they normally occur if you also have a bunion by the big toe. It also could be a callus from rubbing on your shoes if they are not wide enough OR your wearing heals often. If they do not bother you & are not painful then you might not need to worry about them. However IF they hurt or you see your toes shifting together or your just bothered by them.....seek out a board certified podiatrist for an appointment (wear the shoes that you wear the most to the appointment).
    Definately in the meantime take a look at your shoes and see if they are too tight OR if your wearing heals too much shift to a flatter or lower shoe. If you go onto healthboards information portion you can find a checklist of tips to prevent bunions.

Hope that helps!

Old 08-20-2005, 01:30 PM   #4
    Mysticism
    (male)

Mysticism HB User

I haven't been wearing heels and I don't have bunions on my big toes. I know they aren't calluses because the skin is still soft, it just feels bony when I push on them. It also hurts when I push on them. Also, my little toes do point in somewhat.

Last edited by Mysticism; 08-20-2005 at 01:31 PM.

Old 08-20-2005, 06:28 PM   #5
    Suni321
    (female)

Suni321 HB User

Well that's not good then! If they are painful & your toes are starting to point in a doctor's visit may be in order. Do they hurt more at the end of the day? Do you have health insurance?

Old 08-20-2005, 10:34 PM   #6
    Mysticism
    (male)

Mysticism HB User

They aren't always painful but often they ache, especially at the end of the day like you said. Like I said, they don't usually hurt and never really worried me until a few days ago when, after work, they started really aching and I had to soak my feet to make them stop hurting. I do have health insurance and I just wanted some assurance that this was probably what I had. I was hoping I was wrong because I really don't want to go to the doctor. I will make an appointment tomorrow.

Old 08-21-2005, 03:03 PM   #7
    Suni321
    (female)

Suni321 HB User

Well hopefully it's something else that's easy to fix. But, if it is bunions and they catch them in time at least they can help you to keep them from getting worse. Good luck with the doctor & keep us posted!

Old 08-22-2005, 01:47 PM   #8
    Mysticism
    (male)

Mysticism HB User

Well, I saw a podiatrist today and he said they are bunionettes but that they're early in their development and I can prevent them from getting worse with bunion pads and by wearing wider shoes.

Old 08-22-2005, 03:09 PM   #9
    Suni321
    (female)

Suni321 HB User

Sorry to hear that they are bunionettes but, that's great that hopefully you've caught them early. There's many posts on here on which shoes are good - my favorites are New Balance for tennis shoes & Clarks or Joesph Siebals but, there's many out there. Good luck to you & I hope you are feeling better soon!

Old 08-22-2005, 05:34 PM   #10
    Mysticism
    (male)

Mysticism HB User

Thanks. I accidentally hit my left bunionette on the corner of the wall earlier so it's hurting quite a bit right now but I'm glad I know what it is and that I can prevent it from getting really bad.

Old 08-22-2005, 07:07 PM   #11
    Suni321
    (female)

Suni321 HB User

I hate when that happens! Ice & advil can be great friends. There's some good stretching exercises to do to help keep things at bay that you might ask your doctor about. Take it easy & stay away from those walls!

Old 08-24-2005, 09:34 PM   #12
    Mysticism
    (male)

Mysticism HB User

Well, my bunions do hurt after work but putting my feet up and laying the sides with the bunions on ice packs helps tremendously.

Closed Thread