It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Cocoa Butter Cream on Incision

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-19-2005, 03:46 PM   #1
    roz5
    Veteran
    (female)

roz5 HB Userroz5 HB User
    Cocoa Butter Cream on Incision

I had my 3 week post op appointment yesterday for my bunion surgery. My podiatrist took off the heavy gauze wrapping and my foot is now wrapped in Coban and an ace bandage. She told me to put cocoa butter cream on my foot & incision every night and to sleep without the bandaging at night. I never thought to ask her why the cocoa butter cream. What does this do? I've never used it before, but must say...it smells like a chocolate brownie!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2005, 05:39 PM   #2
    kehorner
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
    Re: Cocoa Butter Cream on Incision

It's good for scars. It helps them soften and be less noticeable. Vitamin E is also good.

Old 08-20-2005, 03:49 AM   #3
    roz5
    Veteran
    (female)

roz5 HB Userroz5 HB User

Suni,
    You have to go for physical therapy? I don't think I do at 6 weeks. My podiatrist showed me how to stand & stretch my toes as though I were taking a step. Sure looks painful. I start doing that next week....ouch!

Old 08-20-2005, 09:31 AM   #4
    flahertk
    (female)

flahertk HB User

Roz5,
    Sounds like you are doing great! Must be very liberating to have that bandaging off! I see my doctor next Tuesday at 4 1/2 weeks post-op to finally get the bandaging off! YEA! He had a vacation in between, so I had to keep it on a bit longer. Thanks for the cocoa butter tip! I have also had experience with the Vitamin E oil. My stepdaughter was bitten on the face by a dog several years ago. She used Vitamin E oil regularly and had absolutely NO scarring.

As for physical therapy, my doc had mentioned doing some as rehab. Not sure when or what type. I'll keep you all posted!

Old 08-22-2005, 09:24 AM   #5
    wakkochic17
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wakkochic17 HB User

I've been using the Mederma cream for scars (well.. the Target generic brand..). My doc said it was great for post-op scars.

Old 10-26-2005, 10:17 PM   #6
    mseich
    (female)

mseich HB User

I have had 3 ankle surgeries in 18 mos. and my foot looked like a badly fileted fish. Pure emu oil is the BEST remedy for scars. Mine are almost invisible. It was also endorsed by Healthsouth for orthopedic pain. It can be pruchased at GNC I think. Just make sure it is the pure oil. I have tried cocoa butter in the past and there is on contest.

Closed Thread