It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Hardware Removal - Fractured Calcaneus

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-15-2005, 11:49 AM   #1
    spot

spot HB User
    Hardware Removal - Fractured Calcaneus

Hello to all fellow 'heelies' out there ~

It's been a whole year since my accident. It took 9 screws and a plate to put my heel and arch back together. My doc suggested back then that I may want to have the hardware removed after a year. Of course at that time, who would want to consider another surgery... As you are all aware, the pain associated with a broken heel is unbelievable. Anyway, I am happy to report that I can do alot of things I used to, although there is some pain and limitations with certain activities. Loss of flexibility and ROM, I believe is due to the plate spanning several joints. I think this is what the doc was speaking about soo many months ago. Has anybody out there opted for hardware removal after their initial healing? And if so, did you really regain some ROM and flexibility? Did the daily pains and limitations from your injury lessen? Dr. heel-good has suggested that I consider removing the Ti this fall.

And for all the new heelies, hang in there! It will take some time and perserverance, but it does get better. Keep the faith and keep on heelin'

spot

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2005, 05:01 PM   #2
    manyroads
    (male)

manyroads HB User
    Re: Hardware Removal - Fractured Calcaneus

spot,
    I had my hardware removed 10 weeks post-op. That wasn't the original plan, but I developed a bone infection so that had to take it out. If you haven't had any problems with the hardware I don't understand why they would want to take it out. When mine was removed the pain afterwards was not bad at all compared to when they put it in. There are always risks though. It sounds like your recovery is going well, I wouldn't mess with it.

Closed Thread