It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Post Bunion Surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-22-2005, 09:08 AM   #1
    JannR
    (female)

JannR HB User
    Thumbs up Post Bunion Surgery

I am new to this site and have been reading postings about bunion surgery. This is my first posting. I had a "V" cut bunionectomy on August 4th (7 weeks post op). Still in the attractive surgical boot which I feel is causing more problems. My big toe is still swollen and also around the incision. I haven't had formal P.T., but have been doing prescribed exercises on my own. The range of motion is returning, slowly but surely. I think using the boot, stiffens my entire foot. I have discomfort on the "ball" of my foot, especially when I remove the boot. I don't wear the boot around the house and walking on carpet is fine. It's the tile and hardwood floors that are a bit uncomfortable. Still "gimp" around and am no where near to walking "normal" without a limp. I return to the MD next Monday, when I'm hoping she tells me I no longer have to wear the boot. I've been shopping around for some type of shoe to wear, when I do get her permission, and have found some "slip on" running shoes and soft leather loafer type slip-ons (both are which a full size larger than what I normally wear). I've tried on every pair of shoes I own, and can't budge my right foot into any of them. Just thought I'd share my experience and slow recovery. Everyone I know who has had this surgery says, I'll be glad I did it. I'm just very anxious to return to real shoes and normal activity!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2005, 02:17 PM   #2
    dplusmom
    (female)

dplusmom HB User
    Re: Post Bunion Surgery

Just wanted to say continued good healing to you... I'm considering bunion surgery and have found these boards very informative. Good luck.

dplusmom

Old 09-22-2005, 07:58 PM   #3
    joll43
    Veteran
    (female)

joll43 HB User

7 weeks is great -- it gets easier, trust me! You should wear the boot whenever and wherever you walk though, even if it's at home. It may feel stiff, but it's also supporting you. When you elevate it, just keep moving that ankle - that's what's going to help with your swelling. You'll be out of the boot before you know it.

Old 09-23-2005, 04:05 PM   #4
    Codikatt56
    (female)

Codikatt56 HB User

hi everyone- i just had a bunionectomy on sep 16th . i was scared but im glad to report i had no pain whatsoever! i had a great podiatrist and he did a great job. i am off the crutches in two weeks!!!! i had my first post op apt on sep 21st and everything was great. i have to admit i put it off so long because of all the horror stories i heard over the years and my own aunt had to be in a cast for 6 weeks!!!!!! it is so unbelievable how far they have come in medicine that i am able to walk now (if i am very careful) without crutches. if i had had to be in a cast for 6 weeks i think i would go crazy. i would recommend this surgical procedure to anyone just make sure you get a good surgeon who knows exactly what he is doing.

Last edited by Codikatt56; 09-23-2005 at 04:06 PM.

Old 09-23-2005, 04:11 PM   #5
    Codikatt56
    (female)

Codikatt56 HB User

by the way i would like to mention that i found a great athletic shoe (not in the regular stores) but at a special store that deals with hi end new balance shoes. it is called new balance motion control and it has the Rollbar. it is so comfortable and my podiatrist really liked it. it was expensive 120.00 but your feet are worth it!!!!!!
    Codikatt

Old 09-23-2005, 07:59 PM   #6
    Nightngale
    (female)

Nightngale HB User

Dont forget to take of your incision too. As long as the incision is fully closed, massage it 2-3 times a day with vitamin E oil (buy a good one, not the cheap stuff). While you massage the oil in, do range of motion on the toe to keep scar tissue from developing. This will get the mobility back in your toe much quicker!
    Good luck!

compression fractures T-12 thru L-4; sleep apnea, depression

Old 09-26-2005, 04:38 PM   #7
    Annette06
    (female)

Annette06 HB User

I was also told that when I get back into shoes - tennis first (hopefully at 5 weeks post op - I am still at 1 and in the boot for 4 more) that I will have to wear orthotics for the rest of my life.
    To avoid the reoccurance of my bunions caused by flat feet. I am wondering Jann if your doctor has ever mentioned that to you as well?

Old 09-28-2005, 04:27 AM   #8
    JannR
    (female)

JannR HB User

Update - Returned for my 8 week post op check up. No longer have to wear the boot so the very next day wore my "real" shoes to work. I tried my new "Ryka Veritus Mules", the shoes I thought were so comfortable. By 4:30 my foot was sooo swollen and sore I could hardly walk. I stopped at a specialty shoe store (that I would compare to a Stride Rite for adults) on my way home from work. The staff was fantastic and fit me into a mule-style shoes by LaPlume that are like wearing slippers. It's soft Italian leather with a large "toe box", which they stronger recommended. I'm hoping these work. Can anyone recommend a certain brand and style that may have worked for them right after surgery? Anyway, per my MD, I have to keep doing the bending exercises with my big toe to try to increase my range of motion. Vanity aside....I'm just going to have to face the fact that "style" won't be my thing this fall and winter!!! Beats the bunion pain!!!!

Old 10-02-2005, 09:30 AM   #9
    franann
    (female)

franann HB User

I have just been diagnosed with "bunions". I have experienced pain at the joint that is best described as a bruised feeling. When I wear closed in shoes, I sometimes get a burning feeling in that area. My arches also feel sore at times, so I assumed that I had falling arches. Anyway, a trip to the doctor confirmed that I do indeed have bunions (both feet - current pain only in one foot). I am wearing tennis shoes with the special insoles that I purchased from the doctor's office. I was told to wear them most of the time for the next 3 weeks - until my next appt.

I seldom had pain before. It was mostly when I wore tennis shoes. I continued to exercise (the pain would subside after a while - I guess I adjusted my step as to not pound on that spot?) I wouldn't wear shoes that were uncomfortable. When we went on vacation (Italy) I wore sandles with a little heel (wedge) and had no problems.

Now that I am wearing these tennis shoes most of the time, I am feeling more pain than before. Can these insoles actually stop the progression of the bunions, or correct the posture of the foot? If not, I don't see any benefit from wearing them, except when I exercise. The doctor did not tell me to stop exercising. He told me to definately wear the insoles while exercising.

At what point do people decide to have surgery? When the pain becomes unbearable? I have absolutely no pain in one foot right now. I would like to prevent this condition from getting worse. Has anyone had similar experiences?

Closed Thread