It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Bunion Surgery 8 Weeks Post Op Update

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-24-2005, 05:47 AM   #1
    roz5
    Veteran
    (female)

roz5 HB Userroz5 HB User
    Bunion Surgery 8 Weeks Post Op Update

Well, I am officially 8 weeks post op from my bunion surgery (right foot; big toe cut and straightened with permanent screw; bunion removed; bone spur removed). At my 6 week post op appointment, my podiatrist had told me to wear more supportive shoes at school (I am a teacher) for 2 more weeks. She suggested sneakers, which I have tried wearing off and on throughout the day, however, they tend to hurt my foot a bit more where the top of the shoe rubs the incision. She also told me to get on the treadmill and work my way up to 30 minutes (adding 5 minutes each day). I have done all that and must say that my foot is more painful and is swelling more now than it was a few weeks ago. The outside of my ankle is especially swollen.
    I almost feel as though I am going backwards in my recovery. Additionally, the range of motion in my toes is still not good. I am trying to stretch them daily, but they will only stretch so far. I do have an appointment to go back to my podiatrist in 2 weeks, after which I think she intends to "release me", provided I am fully recovered.
    I guess I'm just a bit frustrated here and do realize that the recovery is long road. I never was a patient person!!

Last edited by roz5; 09-24-2005 at 05:48 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2005, 01:33 PM   #2
    Suni321
    (female)

Suni321 HB User
    Re: Bunion Surgery 8 Weeks Post Op Update

Roz - glad to hear from you - wondered how going back to school was going. Sorry to hear your feet are still having trouble.

I'm hitting on 10 weeks now and still getting swollen feet if I overdo. One foot seems to have made it out of the bunionectomy/bunionettes/pins/bone cuts a little better than the other. Still wearing the plus size tennis shoes but, I'm finding too that I can't wear them for more than a few hours at a time. Not sure what I'll do when I have to go back to work since it requires profressional dress & dress shoes. So far none fit!

Any way the doc might give you a perscription for physical therapy? Even for a visit or two they could teach you some exercises that you could do that might help with things.

Take care & keep us posted on how things go!

Old 09-25-2005, 01:37 PM   #3
    cindylou02
    (female)

cindylou02 HB User
    Re: Bunion Surgery 8 Weeks Post Op Update

Hi Roz,
    I started PT last Friday and he said limping on one foot causes the swelling in the ankles. It can also get your gait out of line and cause your knees, hips and lower back to hurt. He told me to make a concious effort to not limp when I walk if it doesn't hurt too bad. He also said as an exercise to stand and shift my weight from one foot to the other to help get used to putting weight on them. For the range of motion he has me trying to pick up flat, glass stones with my toes and moving them from one spot to another. Also, scrunching a towel under my feet with my toes.
    I can't wear shoes yet either. Just flip flops. I guess it all just takes time but I see some improvement all the time. I hope you do too very soon. Good luck!!

Closed Thread