It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Post Bunion Surgery....still OUCH!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-09-2005, 03:50 AM   #1
    roz5
    Veteran
    (female)

roz5 HB Userroz5 HB User
    Post Bunion Surgery....still OUCH!

Well, I am officially 11 weeks post op from my bunion surgery (right foot...big toe cut & straightened with permanent screw; bunion removed; bone spur removed). I must say that right now, my foot hurts worse than it did prior to surgery The range of motion in my toes is still not good and they will only move "so far" despite my daily efforts to stretch them. My arch hurts; the top of my foot by my ankle is painful; the outside of my ankle hurts; the incision area is painful; and my ankle swells daily (especially the outside). Additionally, my feet are 2 different colors! The foot that had the surgery is a darker red/purple color (even my students noticed this!) and it goes right up through my ankle.
    So what is up with this.....is this all normal? It's very difficult to walk without limping. Thankfully, I do have an appointment with my podiatrist on Tuesday, when I think she intends to "release me". I don't want to be a whiner & complain to her. And I especially don't want to tell her that my foot feels worse off than it did prior to surgery
    Someone please tell me that there will be a day when I wake up and can walk without pain!!! My hysterectomy in June was a walk in the park compared to the pain I'm having with this foot
    Thanks for letting me vent

Last edited by roz5; 10-09-2005 at 04:10 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2005, 09:17 AM   #2
    angdang
    (female)

angdang HB User
    Re: Post Bunion Surgery....still OUCH!

and another thing.....my feet looked perfectly fine prior to bunion surgery. Nice toes,nice skin. OK, so there was a big ugly knobby bunion. But now it is gone.
    So why do my feet now look to me like 'man feet'?!! The veins seem to stand out, the color looks off and my feet seem wider! I certainly thought that without the bunion my foot would slip into my shoes, and not hurt. TA~DA!! Yeah, they slip in if I want to leave my pinky toe behind! I am 9 weeks post op with the second foot and 4 months first foot. Where did my lovely feet go?

Old 10-09-2005, 11:30 AM   #3
    mich24
    (female)

mich24 HB User

I'm 11 weeks post op bunion surgery, same procedure as Roz. Foot still hurts. The ball of my foot feels like a bump or swelling. It was so bad last Wed. I called my podiatrist and he had me come in. Says I have a lot of inflammation and swelling in my foot so he gave me a cortisone injection into my foot. The swelling has gone down some but is still there. The big toe is still stiff even after 3 weeks of physical therapy. The big toe does not touch the floor so my walking gait is off and is affecting my little toes. They're painful on the under side because they're taking all the pressure instead of the big toe. That is my biggest complaint. If they could alleviate that problem I could put up with the other aches and pains. I can't walk bare footed and it's hard to find comfortable shoes. My job is 3 days a week of 12 hour days and I'm miserable the whole time working. I originally looked into having this surgery 2 years ago but after reading internet accounts of people having problems decided against doing it. Then this spring talked to some people that had it done with good results so decided to do it myself. Wish I had not done it and still had my bunion. At least I was able to walk with no problem, just had bunion pain and restricted to what shoes I could wear. Hopefully this will all resolve as time goes by but I'm beginning to have my doubts. Well guess I've vented long enough.

The following user gives a hug of support to mich24:
    bprr (01-06-2011)
    Old 10-09-2005, 11:42 AM   #4
    roz5
    Veteran
    (female)

roz5 HB Userroz5 HB User

Vent away!!
    Seems like we're all in the same boat just about! My foot hurts so badly today that I can barely stand it. And WHY are my feet 2 different colors? I do have Raynaud's syndrome, which hinders the circulation in my fingers & toes (especially when they get cold). I am hoping that the Raynaud's is not affecting the healing progress from bunion surgery. I just feel so old right now!

Last edited by roz5; 10-09-2005 at 11:43 AM.

Old 10-09-2005, 07:53 PM   #5
    Codikatt56
    (female)

Codikatt56 HB User
    bunion surgery

I am very happy to say that i washed my left foot for the first
    time in 3 weeks today! I am one of the lucky ones who had no
    pain and no swelling and was able to get rid of the crutches in
    two weeks. I switch to a flat surgical shoe tomorrow and then in
    two weeks i'll switch to an athletic shoe. Even though i had
    no problems at all with my recuperation I think I will wait
    3 yrs to have it done on my right foot and i will certainly use
    the same surgeon. I'm sorry to hear that some of you are having
    so much trouble and wish you luck.....codikatt

Old 10-09-2005, 08:57 PM   #6
    PROWLEY

PROWLEY HB User

Codikatt56,
    Who was your surgeon? Is it a podiatrist or a orthopedic surgeon?

Old 10-10-2005, 08:29 PM   #7
    inpaintami
    (female)

inpaintami HB User

Hello Guys!!!! I had surgery 9/30/05 so that makes me 10 days post op. I had my bunion on my big toe removed and repositioned without any screws, and my tailors bunion and hammer toe of the fifth digit done. I could not take the Percocet that was prescribed past 2 days b/c I felt like I was on heroin and alcohol at the same time (everyone I say this to asks me how I know how that fesls, LOL). Anyway I have been in pain now taking IBU (Motrin) and may take 1/4 of a percocet tablet at bedtime whch does not work. My biggest complaint is thay I got a cane instead of crutches and can't walk and have been hopping everywhere. I fell in the middle of the night trying to go to the bathroom and when I stand up now the blood rushing to my feet is excrutiating. I am so affraid b/c I am supposed to have the right foot done on the 21st of OCt. How if I can't walk? My big toe moves 1% which is hardly. I am so affraid!!! Do you guys think I should get one of those cast boots? I am in a soft shoe and am terrified to put my foot down? Tomorrow I am going to call my Podiatrist and see if she will give me crutches (at my 2 day post op she insisted that I walk with the cane and not be affraid).

Old 10-11-2005, 10:16 AM   #8
    Annette06
    (female)

Annette06 HB User

I am just past 3 weeks post op and although have had some pain it has been minimal as far as accounts and did not start until week 1 going into 2. Maybe my foot and nerves were/are finally waking up?? And it comes and goes - mostly the side of my foot where the tailors bunion was shaved . The big toe only throbs on occasion.
    I think the trick is to really take care of yourself - and ELEVATE, ELEVATE, ELEVATE.

I also subscribe elsewhere to a board - and there have been others saying how their foot turns a different color, etc. The expert there said this is completely normal and part of the healing process - especially when you take a shower. Also, for Raynauds - this surgery should not be a problem - of which I also suffer, but so far have not had a problem. Tingling and zinging in my toes is about it. He also says that no matter how good the surgeon, post op recovery and how well you do it is essential!

As far as crutches versus boot versus flat shoe. I was put into a Rocker AirBoot since my surgery on 9/16 and walked out of the surgi center with it. Am still in it week 3 - for 2 more weeks to total 5 then to a athletic shoe. I can feel myself gradually placing more pressure on my small toe side and will work up to my big to so I can be ready for the transition.

I am so sorry to hear all the woes of surgeries gone bad - or good but now pain. I hope and pray that is not my fate. The visual outcome of my surgery has been good - hope the structural is also.

I am curious still (can't remember if it is Crocket or who - but to the one who had one done within 3 weeks of the other 4 mos/9 weeks) - how was that???

Old 10-11-2005, 01:11 PM   #9
    JannR
    (female)

JannR HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Post Bunion Surgery....still OUCH!

Roz: Previously wrote to you because our surgeries were very similiar. Mine was August 4th, almost 10 weeks ago. I still walk with a limp although my range of motion is much improved. I never had formal PT, but I do the bending routine as much as possible and try to pick up marbles with my big toe. (Sounds stupid, but it helps). Mind you, all of this is painful when I do it but it definitely does help the range of motion. I have about 4 pair of shoes I can wear, all of which are flat clog-type shoes. (Forget even trying to put on a normal shoe with a back.) The swelling comes and goes depending on my activity. It's only been about the past week, that the purple color is subsiding! I love reading what other people are going through, because I just thought by now I would be walking w/o discomfort and in normal shoes. I was warned that this surgery is followed by a long healing process and I can certainly concer with that!!! Keep in touch!

Old 10-11-2005, 02:33 PM   #10
    inpaintami
    (female)

inpaintami HB User

Thank You guys for te reply. My girlfriend just went to the surgery center to get me some cruches so I should have them later. I hope then I will be able to get out a little. My life has been in and out of the bed to the couch or the bathroom. I get my stitches out on Friday. What happens once the stitches are out? Can you rub your feet then or are the bones still to fragile?

Old 10-11-2005, 04:16 PM   #11
    roz5
    Veteran
    (female)

roz5 HB Userroz5 HB User

Well, I had an appointment with my podiatrist today (will be 12 weeks post op on Friday). The good news is that the surgery site is healing very nicely. The bad news is that I did a bit of damage to the tendon on the outside of my ankle! She took x-rays and it is enflamed and my foot is quite swollen. So now, I am taking Celebrex for 3 weeks; have to wear an ankle brace for 3 weeks; and am back on crutches (as a teacher, I am on my feet all day). My podiatrist was concerned about me blowing out a tendon. Apparently, as I was walking (& favoring the surgery area)....my foot was "rolling out". So....that's where things are with me right now. Despite all of this, I truly am so happy that I did have the bunion surgery done, as it was causing me such horrid pain while on my feet all day. This too shall pass!

Old 10-11-2005, 04:32 PM   #12
    Annette06
    (female)

Annette06 HB User

So sorry to hear that Roz - but it should give you some comfort in knowing you were not crazy with all that pain and now know WHY you were limping, etc. How exactly did you blow out the tendon - and is it on the foot that had the surgery?? Where is it located exactly. So if I am hearing you correctly because you were "favoring it", I am assuming your surgical foot - you in some way were not walking correctly by not putting pressure on the foot? And this caused it to blow?

Could PT after the surgery have helped? Were you ever in a walking boot - or just crutches? Does how soon you go from one to another matter.

Just wondering how we all could avoid the same unfortunate thing? I am glad you finally got answers and wish you a speedy recovery. Please keep us posted - - I feel like I know you personally now!

Old 10-11-2005, 04:49 PM   #13
    roz5
    Veteran
    (female)

roz5 HB Userroz5 HB User

Annette,
    Yes, it was my surgery foot! The tendon isn't blown out yet, but is very swollen & sore. It is located on the outside of my ankle. It hurt like crazy to move my foot sideways (left to right). I think I have always had a tendency to walk with my foot rolled out and when I had the surgery, the rolling out was even moreso. I have been walking on the treadmill for the past 3 weeks, to work on the range of motion in my toes. I imagine that the daily walking may have aggravated my problem. As I said, the surgery site is healing well.....it's just my improper walking that may have caused this setback. I am a fast walker & walk a minimum of 2 miles daily.....just at school (work)! I wore a pedometer one day and with the number of trips I make to & from the school office....the steps do add up! I never take the time to think about HOW I walk....I just aim to get where I'm going very quickly! Won't be doing that now! Crutches will no doubt slow me down! As I said...this too shall pass!

Old 10-11-2005, 05:42 PM   #14
    maggietaz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

maggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB User

Roz
    Glad to hear that the surgery site is healing well. I had ankle surgery and know about how when you walk a different way to compensate what happens. My tendon that runs up to my big toe, is imflamed because I am not able to step all the way through when I walk. I am OVER this! But, at least the ankle does not hurt like it used to. I to am on my feet most of the day and today in PT, she said that if I had a desk job, this probably would not have happened. Oh, well, just have to keep working at the stretching. Take it easy on the ankle, it takes a while to recover - I have had tendon issues for a long time.
    Nancy

Old 10-12-2005, 01:12 PM   #15
    wakkochic17
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wakkochic17 HB User

just some thoughts on the discoloration.. my first bunionectomy, it took months for all the discoloration to completely go away. My most recent surgery was in June, and I still have some discoloration in my toes where the worst of the bruising was. This is not abnormal and will go away. It just takes time! As for ROM.. I'm only halfway there.. and I'm over 4 months out. It's the scar tissue that's built up and preventing it from moving fully..

Closed Thread