It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Elevation at Work

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-10-2005, 08:13 AM   #1
    Annette06
    (female)

Annette06 HB User
    Elevation at Work

Another question - thank God for this forum!!

Trying the work thing again (after going back at 1wk was not successful) - 3 weeks bunionectomy, post op this past Friday 10/7. How in the world did you guys "comfortably" elevate your foot at work?? Luckily I can work from my desk and they have moved my computer to accomodate. And the ergo guy also placed another chair with a pad in front of me to elevate. But sitting from one chair to the other is hurting my entire mid-back. And now my foot is
    falling asleep, something it never did at home in the recliner.

Is it standard practice to keep it elevated the whole time - or just for periods? Does the above the hip or heart level still apply 3 weeks out? Or can I just raise it on a box below my desk (lower than my chair). I cannot even imagine 2 more weeks of this until I get my boot off - I will be miserable not to mention ready for a back and hip massage.

Help!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2005, 08:56 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Elevation at Work

Try turning a trashcan over....they are usually about the right height....and all offices have them!

Old 10-10-2005, 04:10 PM   #3
    Annette06
    (female)

Annette06 HB User

Thanks Titchou - another coworker who had the surgery recommended the same thing - with a pillow on top.
    At that - this makes my foot level with the lowest point my chair will go. So my foot is straight out but not necessarily elevated - but it felt better than the other.

Even though I was at my desk most of the day and a few walks to the cafeteria and to meetings - after 8 hours my toes are swollen and numb Time to hit the recliner!!!

Old 10-10-2005, 08:32 PM   #4
    kehorner
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

I am a student, so I had to do my elevating in class. I had the same problem that you had: putting it on a chair just wasn't high enough to keep it from swelling (my toes actually turned purple while I had my leg on the chair). So I just decided to forego any sense of decency and put my foot up on the desk. I sort of slouched down in the seat and leaned back and put the foot on the desk (with or without a pillow) and then wrote with my notebook in my lap. Not the most attractive position, but that was the only way I could keep my toes a normal color.

Old 10-12-2005, 12:59 PM   #5
    wakkochic17
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wakkochic17 HB User

for me it was the same way so I gave up and wound up putting my foot on top of my desk! Didn't look pretty, but it was elevated!

Closed Thread