It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• sprained ankle not healing completely

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-23-2005, 06:44 PM   #1
    jbrosseau15
    (male)

jbrosseau15 HB User
    sprained ankle not healing completely

In the first week of september i sprained my ankle at a basketball game. you know the usual heard a popping sound and swelled up. Its been nearly 7 weeks since the injury, (my last sprains have never last more than 2 weeks for full recovery), and my ankle has come a long way but can't recuperate to 100%. I've only had an opportunity to visit a chiropractor for x-rays, no treatment outside of home. (no insurance is the reason) Right now it looks to me as if my right (injured) ankle looks different from the left. the x-rays show no breaks or fractures. the only pain i get is when i point my toes toward me or push on or around the bone. i can run at 75% speed but my achilles hurts when i jump. im afraid something more could be wrong than a sprain but no way to check. Has anyone had this same problem?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2005, 07:43 AM   #2
    Bigdog Two
    (male)

Bigdog Two HB User
    Re: sprained ankle not healing completely

In addition to a sprain - it could be impingement (either soft tissue or bone spur) or an osteochondral lesion. You may want to read descriptions of the symptoms of those injuries. I know from experience that ankle injuries can be frustrating and hard to diagnose sometimes. There is a lot that can go wrong other than a sprain or a fracture.

Old 10-26-2005, 02:55 PM   #3
    Lynda07
    (female)

Lynda07 HB User

I sprained my ankle almost 3 weeks ago and I'm still using crutches. The xrays showed no broken bones. The ankle was swelled up to the size of a softball. Now it has gone down a lot, but the top of my foot is swollen and dark red, almost purple. I've been keeping ice on it and keeping it elevated. I can walk a little, but I'm afraid it will be worse tomorrow if I do.

Old 10-26-2005, 04:56 PM   #4
    wakkochic17
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wakkochic17 HB User

I wonder if it's possible if you even have a small tear somewhere.. that might explain the long healing process. Sounds like you just have to keep off it as much as possible.. take anti-inflammatories.. and don't jump

Old 10-27-2005, 08:23 AM   #5
    Bigdog Two
    (male)

Bigdog Two HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lynda07
    I sprained my ankle almost 3 weeks ago and I'm still using crutches. The xrays showed no broken bones. The ankle was swelled up to the size of a softball. Now it has gone down a lot, but the top of my foot is swollen and dark red, almost purple. I've been keeping ice on it and keeping it elevated. I can walk a little, but I'm afraid it will be worse tomorrow if I do.
    Recovering from a bad sprained ankle is a long, painful process. It may be months until the pain and swelling are gone. Make sure and rehab properly, if your DR. has not prescribed PT, I highly recommend you ask for it.

Old 11-03-2005, 09:23 AM   #6
    JamieProsser
    (male)

JamieProsser HB User

"Make sure and rehab properly, if your DR. has not prescribed PT, I highly recommend you ask for it."

What is PT?

Old 11-03-2005, 09:53 AM   #7
    Bigdog Two
    (male)

Bigdog Two HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JamieProsser
    "Make sure and rehab properly, if your DR. has not prescribed PT, I highly recommend you ask for it."

What is PT?
    Physical therapy.

Closed Thread