It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Upcoming bunion and bunionette surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-27-2005, 06:57 AM   #1
    juliek75
    (female)

juliek75 HB User
    Question Upcoming bunion and bunionette surgery

Hi everyone, next Friday on the 4th of November I am set to have my bunion and bunionette corrected on my right foot, once that is healed then I will be having the left one done. Is recovery longer if I have both bunionettes and bunions, also the dr. says my bunion is particularly severe, they will be breaking the bones on both sides of the foot and using pins to hold it all together, he said since I'm young (30) that he probably will be able to use the absorbable pins. If the recovery is 6-8 weeks, does that mean I can get the other one done in 8 weeks, or is it longer before I can bear all my weight on the foot I'm getting done first? Sorry so many questions, I read a few of the horror stories on here about those who are having lot's of complications. I am hoping those are just the exceptions and not the rule of thumb as to what to expect.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2005, 03:09 PM   #2
    Annette06
    (female)

Annette06 HB User
    Re: Upcoming bunion and bunionette surgery

I had a bunionectomy on my RT foot on 9/16 - so I am 6 wks post-op. Absorbable screw in big toe and my tailors bunion just shaved, no pin or screw. I am now just trying to walk again in tennis shoes. I spent the first 5 weeks in a boot. I am hoping to be ready for my LT foot on 12/16 , 12 weeks apart. If I can walk better by then and feel like I can support myself sufficiently I will go through with it. I am so tired of being tied down I want to get it over with and the recovery as well. I believe there are people on this site who have had it done in less time than that!
    Good Luck!

Old 11-24-2006, 04:00 PM   #3
    AlysonM
    (female)

AlysonM HB User

Juliek75 and Annette06: I just had a bunionette surgery about 3-1/2 weeks ago and my experience so far has been pretty good. No pain at all really just maybe a little bit when the stitches came out. My procedure was basically done where the doctor makes a very small incision and cuts the bone, repositions it and puts in pins (external) to hold them in place. The pins will come out at 4 weeks. I didn't have any sort of cast, just a tight dressing with a special sandal. I had my surgery done in Toronto (not sure where you're from) and so far I am very please with the progress of my recovery. The hardest part is staying off my feet since I get bored very easily! Let me know how yours goes, I did read a lot of negative responses from others who have had it done, but don't be discouraged juliek75!

Old 11-25-2006, 10:39 AM   #4
    misfish90
    (female)

misfish90 HB User

Julie, your young age will probably work in your favor in your recovery. But if it were me, I'd wait at least 12 weeks like Annette just to be safe. I'm at 10 weeks and my recovery is going really well. But I wouldn't want to have to rely on it just yet as my "good" foot.

Closed Thread