It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• post bunion surgery....HELP PLEASE!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-18-2006, 05:28 PM   #16
    Midwest-JD
    (female)

Midwest-JD HB User
    Re: post bunion surgery....HELP PLEASE!!

Hey Cindi How did it go today? I hope things went well for you and the dr. wasn't too much of a jerk... I think we're all anxious to hear about your appointment...

JD

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2006, 06:42 PM   #17
    cind68
    (female)

cind68 HB User

Did everyone hear the sonic boom today? It was extremely satisfying I'll say that! feels OH so good!!!!!! I have to get up early in the am and go out of town just for the day tomorrow so I won't get started telling all that was said today ......as we know I can write some novels and I don't want it to end up really late before I get to bed. I will fill everyone in tomorrow though! One thing that did blow me away was when I finished telling him ALL of my thoughts he left the room and it was just me and the one assistant there that I do like and who isn't an RN, LPN...or anything medically licensed??(is that common practice with podiatrists??) but he does actually seem to know more than any of the doctors and has helped me far more than any of them.....anyway....once he realized "doc" was out of hearing range he smiled and said to me "He's needed to hear that for a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time! I knew you had some nerve in you but noone has EVER actually stood up and told him what they thought and what he needs to know! Wow!" That was honestly all I needed to hear to know this guy is far worse than I'd even thought and honestly it kills me to think of what others have no doubt gone through. It also let me know I definitely have to get something done ASAP! I just can't stand people...doctors or whomever....like him and don't have it in me to even think of this happening to someone else.

Ok....I'm getting rambly again!...too much to tell!! I am sorry about that but honestly I have this board to thank for letting me know of the many many other things he didn't do so a big thanks from me....and no doubt any "would have been future patients" that end up with a good doctor! ....Let me just give one small example of his inadequacies from today. When I told him I wanted a script for the pt he just looked at me blankly. He asked what in the world for?? I told him that I'd had others(you all!!) tell me that going through physical therapy would speed up the recovery time and also give me some ROM with my big toes as he has told me to put no pressure on it when I walk or anyother time and that's one of the major problems right there because I have been told since day one not to put any pressure at ALL on the front of my feet....and now the bones have actually atrophied! He then laughed and said that he hadn't sent anyone to pt for bunion surgery before!! That was only for those who had surgery on ankles, etc. I of course explained to him that was not the case and as with everything else today it was ME who was having to inform HIM of information he was completely unaware of. I had already had it out with him at that point so called the pt clinic which I've been to before and they said no problem to have my gp send in a script and my insurance would cover it so am doing that tomorrow.
    ...wow, this has been a day! I'm sure I'm not even making sense too well! I'm so exhausted. I definitely exhausted myself emotionally and mentally with him and then went to the gym and did weights and then rode the bike for an hour afterwards.
    Rather than ramble on I'm going to hit the sack tonite but definitely have some more questions and appreciate the advice more than I can say!

I also want to apologize for ranting so much last nite and at other times too. I am thankful for a place to vent and be truly understood but I also don't want to either come across in the wrong way or scare someone from having some surgery done that's very needed. I suppose I can at least show the need to make SURE you find a good doctor before you just jump in! A tennis friend of mine is always saying that EVERYONE is able to serve as an example to others in life.....some just serve as a BAD example! I would say in this particular case I should have gone with my initial plan to also see this very wellknown orthopedist who specializes in feet before deciding who would do the surgery but I just thought it would be easier with the "doc" I went to with him having an office not far from where I live. NOT a good reason to use a doctor!!!!! STUPID reason actually! I am however going to make an appt and make sure what was done is ok and have a REAL doctor!! And "doc" of course....he serves as a bad example for too many things to list! ....I also hate to vent like that on here knowing others are feeling bad or even worse than I am at this point as I'm through the worst but shouldn't have had to go through what I did at all. I know everything can't be perfect but I would rather be encouraging and helpful to others here and not just bash the doctor constantly. .....Hopefully though the message did get across that it really is SO important to check out several docs and really research things well and NEVER allow anyone to rush you into surgery to pad their wallet. Hopefully I've at least been able to help in that way.
    ....I'm about to fall over but thanks again and I'll write tomorrow!

Old 01-18-2006, 07:25 PM   #18
    creative2
    (female)

creative2 HB User

I too, was outright lied to by my pod. I have read posts describing absolutely fantastic doctors and truly horrible ones, both in terms of their surgical skills and bedside manners. REMOVED

Last edited by moderator2; 01-19-2006 at 03:30 AM. Reason: no discussions of your own websites

Old 01-19-2006, 05:35 AM   #19
    Midwest-JD
    (female)

Midwest-JD HB User

Good for you! I'm SO glad you stood up to this arrogant, UNprofessional dr.
    Yay!!! Hip-Hip-Hooray!! I LOVE the reply of the other person in the room! You can bet that after you left he probably repeated it to everyone on staff, and they're probably all cheering too!

You are still going to write to state board, right? (I hope so) I would think that would have the most impact - because I would think that he WOULD hear about it from them too. If no one complains to THEM about him, he'll continue treating people badly and continue to cause more people to have terrible experiences like yours.

I'll be watching for your next post - details, girl! LOL!

Way to go!
    JD

Old 01-19-2006, 10:35 AM   #20
    SairyDairy
    (female)

SairyDairy HB User
    Talking Re: post bunion surgery....HELP PLEASE!!

Hi Cindy Glad you told the dam jerk off I havent figured what Iam going to do with my jerk He did a good jobb with the surgery but very little post operative information
    Wow I must agree with the other that yo should be careful about rushing yor recuperation Honey we all hate this but please be careful You could really set yourself back
    .I guess that you are goin g to do what you feel is right for yo Hope yo u wil do as Jill and the others have suggested ,and find a new doctor Good luck Rose(((((((Hugs)))))))))))))

Old 01-19-2006, 03:02 PM   #21
    wtwct
    (female)

wtwct HB User

Sorry. Cind: When is your new Dr. Apt.?

Old 01-21-2006, 10:49 AM   #22
    cind68
    (female)

cind68 HB User

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back. I'm not sure if I used up all my energy the other day telling HIM what I thought about his actions/lack of actions or what but I've just been dragging ....well, too much other stuff going on and I'm not used to much yet!....even normally though I seem to work on "spurts" of energy...(other health issues)....but won't go into all that too!ack!

I'm starting physical therapy this week(first day Tues) but have a couple questions beforehand if anyone gets a chance to answer. I'm so confused now since I was told to put NO pressure on the front of my feet and then the other day was told to walk normally and do those "toeups" exercises(by the tech as I was checking out that is....NOT the doc of course...he still only knows to tell me to "move the toe up and down"). I honestly have no idea what is too much, not enough or just what to do??? I know my foot is sore and tender (front of it that is) but I'm thinking that of course it's going to be and if I don't do anything to progress it along that it will only get worse. I don't want to overdo and have a setback for sure!! At the same time I don't want to be setback because of not doing enough. I know to of course listen to my feet but they're saying they hurt when i walk or put pressure on the front and are SO SORE!.....that would leave me doing nothing and that doesn't seem right at all. Any advice???

I need to reread some of the other posts but from the questions/comments I can remember:......YES!!! I already have a letter in preparation to the medical board. Noone should be lied to so they will have surgery and then be kicked to the curb and left on their own to figure out how to heal from there and when they did continually take it upon themselves to call and ask for advice be told to "vegetate" ......i won't rehash....you all know the story!

I do hope everyone else is doing much better and having as pain-free and mobile weekend as possible! If it's any encouragement for anyone who's having to spend the weekend propped or in pain....or both(let's hope not too much of that!)...I can honestly say I really didn't see me getting to this point even for another several months or more. I think several things over the past 2-3 weeks have helped but I did seem to finally get to that point after all surgeries when you start feeling better and know you're on the upswing and I thought that maybe just wasn't in the process with this. I'd better not speak too hastily and end up with a setback so knock on wood!! Not that I'm just beebopping along but this is SO much better than having to be in bed 24/7 getting nerve blocks. ....Hang in there everyone.......I'm finally starting to believe this too really shall pass! It will.......and we will all be feeling so great once it's over and no more painful bunions to deal with all the time!!!
    cindy

....again....any advice on what to do/not to do and how much at this point? ...all tips/advice appreciated!!!! thanks in advance!

Old 01-21-2006, 06:54 PM   #23
    joll43
    Veteran
    (female)

joll43 HB User

I know it's frustrating, but since you're going to PT on Tuesday anyway, you might want to just relax and know that you're doing the right thing and that you'll be on the right track starting in two days.

If this tech didn't teach you what "toeups" are, then don't do them! Just wait until they show you and have you repeat the exercises. It'll be worth it.

Old 01-22-2006, 12:07 AM   #24
    cind68
    (female)

cind68 HB User

Thanks joll

I know I have LOTS of work to do as far as learning patience!yikes!!
    Thanks to all of you I am even going to pt!!!
    I hope this question isn't too much....I know.....I can definitely ask the questions and have done it here for sure!
    Right now it's right at 1:30am and the balls of my feet are absolutely killing me and keeping me from falling asleep. There's lots of nerve pain too which hasn't been there to this degree in probably a month or so. I finally just got out of bed and figured I'd ask rather than lay there and go nuts.... I hope I'm able to word this correctly....I'm so tired and wanting to be able to sleep! Having had the bunion surgeries done on Oct 18 and the second on Nov 10th(don't have a calendar in front of me to figure the weeks at the moment and am too tired to do it in my head) but should it still be this painful to walk and still have problems like this? I so wish I'd gotten started with the pt much earlier and yes, know what toeraises are and thankfully found posts on here as well as info on the 'net that showed some exercises to do or just where would I be?? I really feel very fortunate I've not had a setback with what I've done but then at the same time read about what others are able to do at this point and as I was told "NO....continue to prop your feet and vegetate" everytime I would call asking if I could do this or that. That along with "no pressure at all on the front of your feet".....I did do that part but otherwise have tried to do all I could....but on my heels all the time. I certainly could not have done the "mallwalk" as I was told I should be able to 5 days after surgery #2 but what about now? I know there's not a standard on this and that everyone is different but I'm curious as to whether I'm where I should be right now or because I was told once the stitches were out to do not put any pressure on my forefeet(is that a word?)......and wasn't prescribed any pt am I behind schedule?? If so will I be able to catch up? Will it make a difference that I've waited this long before getting to do it?
    I really hate feeling like I'm bombarding everyone with questions all the time and I do feel badly knowing I'm finally at least alot better than I was and so many of you are in much worse shape than me right now .......I think that all of us though, no matter where we are in the recovery want to know what to expect, where we stand right now(no pun intended).....that sort of thing. I have noone else to ask and know the PT group will be able to give me some answers and know they're a very great and capable group but it does seem those who've been through it can always give even more info so that's why I'm asking. .....Just crossed my mind.....honestly if I didn't know the PT group and how good they are I think I might be a bit worried knowing that the clinic I went to does I would say at least 90-95% of any bunion surgeries in the area(have heard of a couple of people who've gone to orthopedics in town) and then the surgeons at the clinic I went to don't send anyone for pt!!!....I don't know about the orthos? .....you're right.....i need to just relax and get some answers on Tues but am wondering why the pain is so severe tonite?? I'm really ready to just scream!! The only thing I can think of is that I walked the dogs longer than usual today and have been walking them but of course doing it on my heels everytime. I've actually gotten fairly proficient at that as retarded as I'm sure I look doing it!! Today I made sure to go heel toe with each step and yes, each step was PAAAAAAAAAAAAINFUL! I'm honestly not a baby when it comes to pain....thank goodness not too! If I'm up for much longer though I'm going to take something to get to sleep and that seems ridiculous to have to do at this point. ......I do apologize I"m so lost with all of this and have literally bombarded everyone with so many questions but don't know what I"d have done w/o you either! ...........it's getting close to 2am now...sheez........think i'll switch out the icepacks and see if that helps. Does this ever end? ......At least I feel I'm on the right track now ......and honestly do feel bad for complaining as it was so much worse I can't even tell you......and it is true there are others who are always in worse predicaments.....I suppose it really is all relative in life. .....Am I where I should be though as far as recovery or if I had been in PT early on would there be a huge difference and I might even be much further along at this point? .....another reason for that question is in writing the letter about my doc to the board I want to if it is or is not normal procedure to get pt after bunion surgeries and if it is and he's not doing it at all and never has.....well, one more mark against him. Shame on that man!!!!
    Take care all and sorry for the rambliness....i'm exhausted and they're throbbing.......
    cindy

....oh....i've been doing some of of those toeraises too....or toeups....whichever??.....and man do I have a ways to go in that area!! Maybe it was the few of those that has caused all the pain tonite??
    thanks for letting me vent....again......i promise i'm really not a gripey person.....i'm really by nature a very "happy girl"......and have gone through alot before this and know there will be more and as long as i'm in the know i'm fine......it's when i feel so in the dark and misled that my feathers get ruffled....and when that causes setbacks......i will REALLY get ruffled....as we can all tell! I hope everyone is that way though.......we're people, not cadavers or stuffed animals and shouldn't be toyed with. ....ok, off the box!!!!AAAAAACK!...so sorry!!!! I may need some counseling before this is over!!!

Old 01-22-2006, 07:57 AM   #25
    ccoopah
    (female)

ccoopah HB User

Hi Cind68

I had pretty extensive bunion surgery 6 weeks ago. I was told no weight bearing on foot for 3 weeks. At 3 weeks, I had the pin and stitches taken out and was told to start walking and going to PT.

I printed out Joll43,s physical therapy routine and started to do some of them. They hurt to do but when I started my own PT the therapist says that it 'is' going to hurt. You do your PT and then you ice. My therapist has me is tears with what he does with the manipulation of my toe. There is no way I could do that to myself. He is breaking down the scar tissue so you can get Range of Motion back in your toe. My Ortho doc says you shouldn't even do the surgery is you are not going to do the PT afterwards.
    They also ice my foot when they are done.

I starting bike riding right after the pin and stitches were taken out. I really feel the it brought strength and circulation to my foot and made it heal faster.

When you do the PT and the exercises at home, it hurts and you must ice afterwards, but I definately got so much less pain and swelling now. Normally when things hurt, you stop. But with this, it 'is' going to hurt and that is how you get your range of motion back and become pain free.

Tomorrow is 6 weeks for me and I am walking up and down stairs easily. I wore a pair of black leather (flat) boots out to dinner last night without extra pain.

There is still pain but on a scale of 100, I think I am 95% pain free now.

Yes, my foot is still a little swollen, but really getting so much better with the PT and biking.

My doc and PT guy say that working the foot and exercise are very important to do and yes, it does hurt but you cannot do damage to your foot.

PS. I think I spent the first 3 weeks, 80% of the time laying down with my foot eleavated and iced. It is beyond me how a doctor can give you such a bogus information.

Good Luck and keep us posted!

Old 01-22-2006, 08:06 AM   #26
    sorefootsophie
    Veteran
    (female)

sorefootsophie HB User

Cinde,Good morning! IMO, the first thing to remember is that it is ALWAYS worse at night than it is in the morning. The mind is very powerful. You are most vulnerable at night and that's when your mind races and that's, I think, why the pain feels worse and you don't know where to turn.

You said, " have been walking them but of course doing it on my heels everytime. I've actually gotten fairly proficient at that as retarded as I'm sure I look doing it!! Today I made sure to go heel toe with each step "... How can you walk on your heels and do heel toe at the same time. Yes, I do believe everyone is different! But every BONE takes a minimum of 6-8 weeks to start (not complete) the healing process. The complete healing process can take up to a year and that is why the swelling can last up to a year. Don't try and push yourself. I know you want it to be over with now and you have come so far!! Always remember, it will be two steps forward and then probably one step back until one day you'll go through the entire day and think, "Gee...I haven't thought about my feet all day today"!

I had bunion surgery 15 years ago. Never went to pt. They don't even do the surgery that I had anymore. I had no screws or pins but the bone was cut completely and shoved over causing a great deal of shortening. I was only nwb for a few days and then had a walking cast for 4 weeks. Hurt like mad but slowly became better day by day. I even went to play badminton 2 days after the cast removal and suffered for that but didn't do any permanent damage. Thank goodness! We all want to get back to normal, but your body will let you know how far you can push. And pt will also help you with that.**** It WILL HURT doing the PT and it WILL HURT when you do the exercises they show you! But let someone with experience guide you. You will need to get rid of any scar tissue with stretching, exercises, massage and then ICE!!! **** It would be pretty hard for someone (untrained) and not seeing your particular situation to guide you correctly. Please be patient for only a couple more days. Take it real easy....and think good thoughts.

I'm at 9 1/2 weeks now and nwb again (with a cast on that I CAN"T remove and in a weird position so I can't stand on it ) and patiently???waiting for my doc to get authorization for that bone stimulator. This is a REAL pain but I do know that this too shall pass! I saw a man at the mall 2 days ago when I went to borrow the wheelchair. He had broken his left shoulder but was telling me how it really didn't matter because he had had a stroke and was paralyzed on that side anyway. That put things in prospective for me....for that day anyway. I hope you are having a better day today than last night! I hope I have helped somewhat but others will help as well. Sophie

Last edited by sorefootsophie; 01-23-2006 at 09:11 AM.

Old 01-22-2006, 09:29 PM   #27
    cind68
    (female)

cind68 HB User

Thank you so much for giving me the time-frame I should be in!!! That was what I had been searching for but evidently have a hard time getting my thoughts from brain to keyboard sometimes. As for my walking on my heels.....I evidently wrote that incorrectly too. Up until my last appt this past week I had been told to not put any pressure on the front of my foot so it was only then that I started walking heel to toe. Up until then is what I meant when I said I was walking funny and on my heels all the time. Yes Sophie, you're very right on all you say. One of the things I think is hard is that I live by myself (2 dogs) and no distractions family-wise. Thankfully my family lives very close. Yes, it can definitely be worse. I think for me one thing that has made this so difficult is that up until about 2and 1/2 yrs ago I had been in bed over 20hours/day on average for over 8 yrs. There were a couple times in there I would think I was doing better and as soon as I tried to do ...well, really nothing in retrospect...but seemed like alot at the time I ended up back in bed within weeks and back on iv again. We all have our struggles to go through that's for sure. I do believe what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. I won't bore you with the details of it but I had gotten Lyme Disease...well, I say that but actually had 27 strains they isolated with Lyme being one of them and 4 other coinfections...names too long to bother with.....I was on iv for about 5 of those years and of course in and out of the hospital with lots of seizures, 11 months of losing my vision.....really too much to list. My brain had gotten very swollen (Lyme encephalitis) and there was oxygen loss all over it. It put me in a type of coma....I actually think this was my brain trying to heal itself and while I've not been retested and don't want to be either I know I'm definitely better or wouldn't be sitting here typing. I definitely have alot of stuff left that is just "normal" for me. I'm not writing any of this for pity but after looking back at some of my posts I don't want anyone to get the impression I'm a whiner, complainer or anything like that because that's not the case at all. What I really am is scared. I've been finally doing so much better and the thought of relapsing puts the fear of God in me. I had of course been living with my parents after I got sick or would have constant care at wherever I was. When I got better this last time my first goal was to get in shape as best I could. I suppose because I had played tennis all my life prior to that I made it my goal to be able to play 15min/week. Everyone said it was impossible. Yes, even now I will play and it may take anywhere from the rest of the day and part of the next or sometimes a number of days before I'm able to go again. My docs and others have of course told me to do something not so demanding but tennis is what I enjoy and I would rather go through the pain which is overshadowed by the enjoyment I get and do what I want to do. .....No, I definitely can't/don't lead a "normal" life but the past couple years or so have been so wonderful in comparison and really like a dream. I know I can't explain it fully but not being able to have that back....my little routine I guess.....scares me. I've worked so hard to get to this point and I don't want to relapse to where I was. Besides just my feet hurting I've had a much worse time with all the other pain....muscles and joints.....and yes, it's always worse at nite and always has been. The feet added to it makes it worse but more than anything just makes my mind start thinking too much. I am sorry for when I start thinking too much and start typing!! In one way I'm happy just to be here as I was given around 6 months to live at first. At the same time I have always been an overachiever in life and the thought of losing what I"ve worked so hard to obtain healthwise is something I just can't stand to think about. .....You are right though....on many things....I need to just focus on the pt starting this week and not think of all the "whatifs"...Winters are always MUCH worse anyway and I need to keep that in mind and then add to that my body going through all this and I should expect to not feel so hot. That's exactly it....when I start hurting and it's like it used to be ...painwise and other things I do get very afraid and just nervous even. I'm so glad I"m able right now to do the bike and all though. Exercise has been hard but a big pain reliever and mental feel good remedy for me. I was so sick of antibiotics and just remember when I found out that heat killed the bacteria it made sense to me that exercising and getting my internal body heat up as high as I could would be like a "natural antibiotic".....It's honestly worked just like one but w/o the side effects too. ......Anyway....I didn't mean to go on that much.....I definitely know it can be worse....not just me....everything can always be worse. I think it's only human nature to want to have some quality of life. I am sorry if I've ever come across as dramatic but can tell you the root of it is just fear of losing the ground I've fought so hard for. I'm excited to get started with the pt and was hurting really badly today... all over but pushed myself to do toeraises and the bike and some stretching and am glad I can do just that right now. ......I'm honestly too tired to reread this so hope it does make sense. I very much appreciate everyone and their support/advice/answers!! ....and for being able to put up with my ...sigh.... rambling that will maybe one day go away/get better too. Thank you all.

cindy

Old 01-23-2006, 07:21 AM   #28
    creative2
    (female)

creative2 HB User

Cindy:

Thanks for sharing your history. You've come a long ways. I'm not familiar with Lyme disease. How did you get it? Also, does it effect the nervous system? I'm wondering if that could make recovery from foot surgery more painful.

That's an interesting theory about raising your body temperature to fight bacteria. After all, that's what a fever does. I wonder if a hot tub or hot bath with help in the same way.

Old 01-23-2006, 09:13 AM   #29
    sorefootsophie
    Veteran
    (female)

sorefootsophie HB User

WOW!! That's some story. Just be patient and wait until tomorrow...ask away at your pt visit and soon you'll be well on the road to recovery! Sophie

Old 01-24-2006, 07:49 PM   #30
    mimi661
    (female)

mimi661 HB User

I had a bunionectomy on my right foot 13 years ago and lost my range of motion in the big toe. And though I lost the bunion my big toe now goes inward and under my second toe creating much pain and an ingrown toenail on the big toe. This last November I went back to the Podiatrist about my baby toe and had it de-hammered and the middle toe straightened out again as he said I had arthritis in it. I will tell you these little surgeries have been awful! THe pain at night is the worst. I still walk in the velcro shoe. I am going to the Podiatrist tomorrow and asking for a PT prescribtion to help me work through the pain and scar tissue. Am also asking for some kind of toe separator for the pain of the big toe and second toe. And really really I made a big mistake in trying to fix the hammer baby toe and middle toe. The nerves might never be ok again. My left foot with a bunion and hammer toes is actually my best foot. I don't think I will ever go through surgery on it . It's like you get rid of one problem and get two or more in return.

Closed Thread