It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• post bunion surgery....HELP PLEASE!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-24-2006, 09:36 PM   #31
    cind68
    (female)

cind68 HB User
    Re: post bunion surgery....HELP PLEASE!!

You were all SO right!!! I went to pt for the first time today and she worked it over really good....was a "good pain" though. When I got about 1/2way to my car it dawned on me I was actually finally walking normally for the first time!!YEAH!!! Yes, much slower than normal but the quickness will come...I'm just so happy I was actually able to walk normally and there actually be no pain!
    I've gone to that clinic in the past for other things and also know them from tennis. I think pretty much everyone at that office(there are a few other sites too) play tennis and have a team together even. A REALLY good team too! WOW! Anyway....they know my past medical stuff too and she said she felt that was playing a big factor with the different problems going on but also that about 3-4 weeks of pt should work them out. Yes, the Lyme and all the other coinfections really attack your nervous system. It actually migrates through your body and can/does attack all of your organs, etc. I remember thinking I'd just gone crazy before they finally figured out just what it was because there was constantly something new going on....like one week my heart would be skipping every third beat and that would last for about a month but the week after that I would break out in a rash all over my body or have a knee swell up like a balloon. Then at the same time you have all the CNS problems to deal with and mine ranged from seizures/narcolepsy to slurring of speech/gettting words mixed up/not being able to remember anything.....getting lost everytime I got in my car......all kinds of things. I still may get words mixed up or not be able to think of something but nothing even close to like it was so I'm able to now just blow it off and think to myself too that to some degree I think we all do that. I think letting it get to me would only make it worse and that's just NOT gonna happen! ...While I'm talking about the Lyme(definitely not a foot thing huh?) ....yes, you're right about the heat. My doc has/does recommend dry saunas and uv ones(haven't seen any of those though...think that's what they're called??) I'm not sure why that over the steam room honestly. It really helps too and when I was so bad and living with my parents I would get in the hottub and remember a few times getting into a bath with my clothes on even because I knew how quick the relief would be. I hadn't even thought about the fever thing in a long time...thanks for reminding me! It really has helped me so much I can't even tell you being able to exercise and get my inner body heat up. I won't go into the whole thing about how the bacteria work but when you kill them they release toxins in your body and it will feel like it's killing YOU! It's called a Jarix-Herxheimer reaction....or just "herx" for short and while the endorphins will kick in after I exercise and make me feel really great for quite awhile by the next morning I'll feel like a mac truck has run over me. If I can be consistent with the exercise though then it's not nearly as bad. Not even close! Like right now I went to the gym tonite and was able to do more than I have so far....and boy was I excited! I know already I'll feel horrible in the morning but I would rather do that as have to take an antibiotic forever. It may not be easier in ways and of course like when I was so bad it's not even an option but I just think it's not only better now for my body but also in the long run to do things as naturally and "back to the basics" (for lack of better way of putting it) as is possible.
    Well....didn't mean to get off on all that!oops About the pt though...She said that the scar tissue and muscles had gotten really tight in there and the tightness had even gone up into my calves. She had me doing alot of the stuff that yall have said and a few others too. One thing that maybe I missed and is here somewhere but what about trying to squeeze things between your toes? She held my toes apart and said to sqeeze them back together. They didn't move as hard as my brain kept telling them to! She said to help build that back up to put a towel(folded over several times) in between them(and to do all of the toes not just the first two) and squeeze the towel and get the muscles to grip it then slowly make the towel thinner with the goal to finally be able to squeeze a thin piece of paper. Not sure why I thought that was interesting...Maybe I'd just not realized my toes had muscles before?...and now have zero??
    I do feel so much better after today though and hearing someone who I KNEW(as opposed to HIM) knew what they were talking about not only tell me what I should be doing but also that it would really start getting better quickly now.
    I'm just about to fall asleep ...has been a tiring few days for me for some reason??....but will write later about what she said about the podiatrist(here that is) not sending people to pt.
    Thanks everyone for all the support and encouragement!! I suppose I should've told more about myself at the beginning and hope I didn't sound like a crazed woman just impatient and frantic and really hope I didn't come across all "me me me" when I know so many of you are having a tough time and going through alot worse even. I really have been scared though and have worried too about just how much the arthritis and muscle problems (although much better) played a part or might cause some permanent problem or just ???? If it's at all possible I want to prevent something and not just let it happen which is what "doc" was doing. This is definitely a very knowledgable and caring group of people!!!! I know I'm not just speaking for myself when I say that either! I'm sure you all have no idea how many you've helped out there!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2006, 08:59 PM   #32
    ugatah
    (female)

ugatah HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mimi661
    I had a bunionectomy on my right foot 13 years ago and lost my range of motion in the big toe. And though I lost the bunion my big toe now goes inward and under my second toe creating much pain and an ingrown toenail on the big toe. This last November I went back to the Podiatrist about my baby toe and had it de-hammered and the middle toe straightened out again as he said I had arthritis in it. I will tell you these little surgeries have been awful! THe pain at night is the worst. I still walk in the velcro shoe. I am going to the Podiatrist tomorrow and asking for a PT prescribtion to help me work through the pain and scar tissue. Am also asking for some kind of toe separator for the pain of the big toe and second toe. And really really I made a big mistake in trying to fix the hammer baby toe and middle toe. The nerves might never be ok again. My left foot with a bunion and hammer toes is actually my best foot. I don't think I will ever go through surgery on it . It's like you get rid of one problem and get two or more in return.

I had surgery two years ago for arthritis and hammer toes, and had constant pain which was getting worse. Recently I went back to my GP to ask for a referral to an orthopedic surgeon, to get an MRI and to get a scrpt for pain killers. He said it would be best to try pain management for nerve damage. So that's what I'm doing. I've been on medication for about 2 and a half weeks and it's working brilliantly. I have pain from arthritis (which came back), and ball of the foot pain, but the nerve pain and the extreme sensitivity in the feet has gone. It's wonderful.

Old 01-29-2006, 10:58 AM   #33
    cind68
    (female)

cind68 HB User

Just wondering. If this is too personal then of course don't answer but was just wondering what they gave you for nerve pain? I had neuropathies in my legs chronically for a long time and was on neurontin. It was great because it also worked for some of my seizures. When I was in such severe pain after the second foot was done I started taking the neurontin regularly and probably quit it too soon (and was being given nerve blocks which of course definitely helped so didn't need it).......Anyway, just out of curiosity and maybe it will help others too. I know the nerve pain was so bad there for what seemed like forever I couldn't stand it.

just as another update for everyone....I'm sorry I've not been on my computer much lately and haven't even gotten to read/help anyone else. Everything seems to take so long for me it seems....between just my "regular" time with all the other and then adding the foot stuff to that....a little much but I can finally see the light. Ok, no light in my house due to the tornado that swept through EVERY room....WOW!!! Actually shouldn't say that as a joke with all that's happened this year.....I of course mean tornado as in MESS...and I'm just trying to live and that's not on the top of the list for me. Hopefully when the feet are better.

I am SO grateful for everyone talking about how much pt helped them on here. Although I nearly had to hogtie the man to give me a script for it I did get one! It has really made a difference!! My feet still hurt really badly but I know that will pass. It does seem to be so different for everyone with the timing. Those of you who're the experts on this and have been through it what would you say is average for the pain (timewise I mean)? My feet just kill me in the ball and forefront of my foot. I don't know when I"ll get to wear normal shoes?? I tried some for a little bit....really big and wide ones too....got them at a place in town that was having a big sale on their Born shoes. They're wonderful and I"m sure I'll wear them later but right now NO WAY! Is there any way to predict just how long all the pain will last?? What makes it last longer, etc?
    I hope everyone is doing well too. This "Foot stuff" is NOT something to mess around with!!YIKES!!!!! Take care and hope all are having a painfree and good weekend!

Closed Thread