It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• has ANYone had a scarf bunionectomy?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-03-2006, 12:20 PM   #1
    Pitpat
    (female)

Pitpat HB User
    has ANYone had a scarf bunionectomy?

Just wondering if any of you have had a scarf bunionectomy. I'd love to get a first person account of recovery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2006, 08:08 PM   #2
    joll43
    Veteran
    (female)

joll43 HB User
    Re: has ANYone had a scarf bunionectomy?

Yup! Mine was done May 25, 2005 and was a MUCH faster recovery than my first foot, which had a base wedge, chevron and akin....

With the Scarf, I was non-weightbearing for 4 weeks, then moved to one crutch, then at about 7 weeks, moved from my big black boot to sneakers. I was in physical therapy twice a week for 5 weeks after I got into sneakers. With the other foot/procedure, I was NWB for 8 whole weeks, then PT for over 2 months.

My pod said he was excited to be able to do the Scarf, since my recovery was so long with my other foot, but that with the Scarf, the chances of the bunion returning were higher. So I watch it, and wear a toe-separator every once in a while.

It's a great procedure, if your foot is ready for it -- a much more stable cut, which is why you can be up and about sooner than with a standard bunionectomy.

Old 03-04-2006, 07:07 AM   #3
    cind68
    (female)

cind68 HB User

ok....I know this is going to be the dumbest question to most of you and I don't want anyone to go to alot of trouble in typing it out either. Unfortunately when I asked just what type of bunionectomies I had done the response I got was ....."Well, there are about 100 ways of doing it but it's basically all the same" and my asking more still got nowhere so I still have no clue what type I had done. I've found on some on the internet or here but really would just like to know what mine was so I could answer/help with a question like this. He simply called it an "osteotomy"...duh!!!!!???? .....(don't worry...not even going there!...) .....Here's what was done though... The bone was cut where the bunion was and removed then the metatarsal cut in 2(maybe 3 on one foot??) places and realigned along with the tendons, ligaments, etc and screws were put in permanently to join the bone back together. If that didn't make complete sense let me know.... I don't mean to be a bother but after reading how so many know just what type they had done....and also wanting to be able to answer questions like this but unable to......I would just like to know what the heck type bunionectomies I had????? ...curious/intelligent..minds want to know....Think none of us would be here if that weren't the case......
    Thanks in advance!
    cindy

...and sorry I can't help on the question

Old 03-05-2006, 10:17 AM   #4
    Pitpat
    (female)

Pitpat HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by joll43
    With the Scarf, I was non-weightbearing for 4 weeks, then moved to one crutch, then at about 7 weeks, moved from my big black boot to sneakers. I was in physical therapy twice a week for 5 weeks after I got into sneakers. With the other foot/procedure, I was NWB for 8 whole weeks, then PT for over 2 months.
    Hmmm. That sounds different from what my doc said. I guess different docs do things differently, which is kinda frustrating. Sometimes I wish there was just ONE answer to a question so you wouldn't have to hear all the different sides and then decide yourself. I guess I'm kind of lazy that way!
    Anyway, my doc said I would *not* be NWB but sounds like I should really limit my walking for a good while. I asked him if I would have crutches, and he said no b/c he feels they allow the patient to do too much too soon (he was adamant about that, which surprised me). I guess I'll be able to get around a little bit (like up & down the stairs once a day) but will be on my butt mostly. My husband is going to take a week off and my sister is going to come to help, so I think things will work out pretty well. I only work part-time and they are pretty flexible, so I can probably do some work at home. I'm looking at doing it in July, since my sister is a teacher and off in the summer.

Cindy, I'm not sure, but what you described *sounds* like a scarf. However, I really don't know much about all the various procedures, so probably someone else here could tell you more.

Old 03-05-2006, 10:37 AM   #5
    joll43
    Veteran
    (female)

joll43 HB User

The Scarf procedure is a Z-cut into the bone -- instead of a V, (I'm going to try to explain here) if you're looking at your foot on the floor, they make a cut down (perpendicular to floor), across (either toward the front or back), and then down again -- like stairs. With that, they can just slide your bone into place and lock it with screws.

Funny that your doc says crutches allow you to do too much too soon -- if he doesn't give you crutches, aren't you more apt to get up and try and walk? My crutches were a constant reminder that I couldn't do too much too soon!

Oh well, it seems from my posts and everyone else's, that my doc is very conservative, as was my post-op experience -- but I also had no problems or setbacks, and I'm in absolutely no pain and have brand new feet. My doc would flip if you said "bunionectomy" and "not NWB" in the same sentence!

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Old 03-10-2006, 06:39 PM   #6
    jules3
    Inactive
    (female)

jules3 HB User

I had a scarf bunionectomy 3 weeks ago..i walked out of the hospital with my surgical shoe on..the plus of this procedure is that there is no need for cruthes ,a cane or walker of any kind..I kept my foot up for 1 week. went back to work (part time) the second week. i am almost 4 weeks and hope to be able to go into a running kind of sneaker next week or the week after. My foot was badly bruised for 2 weeks and is still swollen a little..but the worst part of the whole thing is wearing this shoe..its about an inch and a half higher than my other shoes..so its extremely uncomfortable..i do have 2 screws in there . and also have 3 kids and am not able to sit on my butt for 6 weeks..thats why the scarf procedure is a good choice ,because you can walk right away with light weightbearing on the side to the heel of your foot.good luck..and if you have any questions ..feel free to ask..btw, my bunion was severe and my foot is perfectly staight now

Old 03-10-2006, 07:35 PM   #7
    joll43
    Veteran
    (female)

joll43 HB User

Stretch out your opposite hip (the good foot side) as much as you can, since you're throwing your alignment out of whack with that shoe. Trust me....

I swear I'm the only one on these boards who was on crutches for so long. I'm beginning to think if I'd had a broken hand I'd have found a way to wind up on crutches!

Good for you -- hope you heal quickly!

Old 03-11-2006, 07:04 AM   #8
    jules3
    Inactive
    (female)

jules3 HB User

Thanks i will do some stretching in my left hip...I dont want anyone to think this surgery is a piece of cake because it most definitly is not. I do have some pain everyday. not horrible. but im only 31/2 weeks out. when i woke up this morning my entire bandage was off. I was shocked. My foot is definitly swollen on top and still bruised. I rebandaged it myself and have an appt. Tuesday morning.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:49 PM   #9
    michellezp
    (female)

michellezp HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pitpat View Post
    Just wondering if any of you have had a scarf bunionectomy. I'd love to get a first person account of recovery.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:56 PM   #10
    michellezp
    (female)

michellezp HB User
    Smile Re: has ANYone had a scarf bunionectomy?

hi-

Yes, I just had a scarf bunionectomy on my right foot eleven days ago. So far I have had a really easy recovery, much less discomfort than I anticipated. I took one week off of work, pretty much stayed off my feet that entire week and lots of ice and elevation of my foot the first 3 days. Got my stitches out 2 days ago, and I am wearing a "boot" until this Friday (2 weeks) when I can start using a large shoe ( I bought the winter-version of Crocs and they already fit!). I started driving and working full time 10 days after my surgery. I had the surgery on a Friday, took the next week off, and was back to work the following Monday. No crutches or cane, just a week of staying off my feet. Really easy, far easier than I thought it would be. Obviously I had a really good surgeon, plus I followed his directions to the letter. I had very little swelling and very little bruising. I can't wait to be able to wear pretty shoes again with no pain!!!

Old 04-25-2008, 07:44 PM   #11
    rlsteinm
    (female)

rlsteinm HB User

Michelle,
    How are you doing now that it's been longer since your scarf bunionectomy?
    And did you have a moderate or severe bunion? Last but not least, does your doctor know of anyone in Washington state who does the scarf procedure?

Old 04-26-2008, 12:34 PM   #12
    debbie g
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

i thought i had a scarf bunionectomy. the incision runs down thw side of the big toe. i did not have crutches, just a surgical shoe. michelle, where in chicago did you have your surgery?

Old 06-14-2008, 04:27 AM   #13
    Eagle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User

scarf..... the incision runs down thw side of the big toe. i did not have crutches, just a surgical shoe. ......[/QUOTE]

Do you possibly mean the incision was above your bunion AND down the side of your big toe for the scarf procedure?

Sounds like if one has a bigger bunion and they're thinking of a metatarsal "base" procedure (closer to the ankle than the toes) they couldn't use the Scarf one, right? Does your foot look better? One doctor told me mine wouldn't and I was so surprised I didn't think to ask exactly what he meant.

Last edited by Eagle; 06-14-2008 at 04:28 AM.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:45 AM   #14
    debbie g
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

my foot looks the same. my bunion never stuck out-it was internal. the scar does run from the base of the big toe and downward.

Old 06-15-2008, 02:11 PM   #15
    Eagle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User

Thanks, Debbie.

I'll have to put this on my list of questions for the doctor about if you have a large bunion protruding way out. Getting some immensely helpful answers here. Don't know what I'd do without them. It's good to know all about what to expect, I think.

Closed Thread