It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

Double Bunionectomy Questions

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-16-2006, 05:07 AM   #1
footsy
(female)

footsy HB User
Question Double Bunionectomy Questions

New to message board. Sorry for previous post. I have a bunionectomy scheduled for Apr 4 and May 16. My doctor advised against doing the double, but my mind is made up and I'm calling him Monday and asking him to do the double. He said the healing time is a little longer when you have both done. I don't quite understand why. If you get one done at a time and there's a 6 week healing time. Then having 2 done at once would that take longer than 12 weeks to heal? Just doesn't make sense to me. Anyway, questions on recovery. I don't know the medical name of my surgery. I do know that he has to cut the bunion, cut the big toe and straighten it, cut and resew the tendons on both feet. So I think my recovery time is going to be long.
1. (a little embarrassing) All I can think about is the first few days - how do you go to the bathroom. I've thought about getting a port a potty. I just can't figure how you make it to the bathroom. Someone I work with said she scooted around on her floor. How do you get up? Weird questions I know.
2. I did read on these boards about a wheel chair. Any comments or experiences with these?
3. I live in a two story house. My plan was to stay upstairs the first few days while I'm on the pain medication with a port a potty near by. Then when my husband goes back to work the following week, I'm moving downstairs. We have a day bed that we can move down there. Will I be able to get up the stairs after surgery - by scooting. Or will I be to medicated?
Or will I have to be carried?
4. I think once I get through the first few days, I will get the hang of things. Just very apprehensive right now.
My plan is to be out of work 3 weeks. Is that long enough? I have a desk job.
5. How long after surgery can you put weight on your feet to help you get around?
Sorry this is so long. Any comments from people who have had a double bunionectomy is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2006, 04:59 PM   #2
wakkochic17
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User
Re: Double Bunionectomy Questions

most doctors don't recommend the double for several reasons. The biggest is you can't walk at all (with one at a time you can at least use crutchest). You will definitely want a wheelchair unless you are not going to move far from your bed. Since I don't know the specifics of your surgery (you mentioned something about cutting the tendons?) it's hard to give details. You will need to know if you can put some weight on your feet, or if you are going to be non-weightbearing. If you are going to be non-weightbearing, it's much more difficult. Getting up and down to go to the bathroom won't be easy. (I've only had one at a time so I can't give you much advice there). The first day you will definitely need someone to carry you up the stairs. You will be out of it the first day until all the meds wear off.
As for the timeline.. the reason it takes long is because part of healing include physical therapy, whether at home or at a PT clinic. This is VERY hard to do when you've got both feet that need to be rehabilitated. This extends out the healing time.

Old 03-16-2006, 07:25 PM   #3
jules3
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

Not everyone uses crutches or does physical therapy. I just had 1 foot done 4 weeks ago and cannot imagine having both done at the same time. I did walk on the foot from the 1st day..but i walked on the heel to side of my foot..so thats light weightbearing..i dont think its possible to do that on 2 feet. maybe you should think about having them done more like 3 mths apart..i was only out of work for 1 week.and kept my foot elevated for about 5 days..so it really wasnt that bad. its been 4 weeks and i still cannot put full weight on my foot but its getting there. Good luck on whatever you decide..

Old 03-16-2006, 08:37 PM   #4
rbstarr
(female)

rbstarr HB User

I am scheduled for a double bunionectomy on May2nd, and I have pretty much the same questions you have. I had a question period with my surgeon just last week and asked many of these same questions, but from what I've been hearing, I'm not sure if I believe the answers he's given me. I asked about getting a wheelchair, and he didn't recommend it because he said people become too lazy and that it would be unneccessary. He said I'd be able to walk out of the hospital the next day. Oh yeah, and the surgery I'm getting is a chevron bunionectomy where they shave the bunion and cut the 1st metatarsal and realign it. So he claims I'll be able to walk the very next day. He said icing and elevation are key components to the recovery and taking it easy. I still think I'll definitly be getting the wheelchair though. He said recovery time was 3 months. 2 months I'll be wearing a post op shoe, no cast. He also said that I wont be needing any physiotherapy, so I guess it just depends on your surgeon and the type of surgery you're getting.

Old 03-16-2006, 10:46 PM   #5
cind68
(female)

cind68 HB User

I just ran across this post and thought I'd throw in my 2 cents since I just went through it. I never knew exactly what the term was for my bunionectomies but I would say a Chevron according to what I've read. On each the bone was shaved off, then the metatarsal in 2-3 diff places and screws put in to hold the bone together.

I was told by the doc it wouldn't be a big deal and I'd be up and going "in no time." Because of this I wanted them done at the same time. He refused to do that but did schedule them for a week apart....????what's the difference??? Anyway, I was able to get around and hobble pretty well after the first one(about 4 days later) and just being tired of stuck there I requested we wait a couple weeks. I ended up having one done on Oct. 18th and the other on Nov. 10th. Ever heard the saying "you don't have a leg to stand on?".....that's just how I was after the second surgery!!! It was PURE H***!!!!!!! I cannot even begin to tell you how much so!!!!! I've had 7 surgeries prior to this....most very major but lemme tell ya...this was tough!! The pain and length of recovery is huge. Your doc may tell you not to worry about physical therapy or any rehab .....as mine did.....but I INSISTED and would recommend all others do the same. I would still be walking like a duck had I not.

In one way I'm glad it's over and done with but I would NEEEEEEEEEVER want to go through what I did again having them both done so close together nor would i wish it on my worst enemy. Unless you have someone who can care for you 24/7 don't even think about it. I'm one of those stubborn as a mule..."I'm fine!..I can do it myself, thankyou!" kind of people but nope, this I couldn't. My mother was a saint throughout. For I'd say around 6 weeks or more it was more than plenty to get to the bathroom....much of the time for the first weeks I was using a bedpan even....and to take a bath?....that would happen about once a week. Thank goodness I have dry skin/scalp. ...Yes, I'm glad it's "over"....I mean I am still healing and no, not back to "normal"...or rather normal for me anyway....and thankfully I don't have a job I have to be at with regular hours as I would NOT have been there. I'm single with 2 little dogs who a friend of mine kept for almost 3 months as I wasn't able. My mom was here...or at least w/in phonecall range where she could get here w/in 10 min or less for about 2 months. ....I'm not trying to scare you but just telling you how it is. I've always bounced back quickly and am not at all a wimp or whiner.....quite the opposite. This simply takes time. Like I said, I'm thankful it's over but honestly just because I play tennis and don't want the downtime again w/another foot. If my life were such that I either worked reg hours and a "normal" job or had children to take care of I would have spread it out and it would have been sooooooooo much easier on me, my body, my mind....and everyone else as well.

I would say to listen to your doc and also to get a few opinions prior to any surgery. Whatever you do, insist on the physical therapy as that will get you up and going so much faster. ......I had to learn the hard way this can't be rushed. While I'm able to do things now I still am not walking properly and yes, have pain daily and it's only magnified due to it being in both feet.

...Very honestly and bluntly, if I were not in the position I am of not having anyone to take care of, having family who took care of me and a friend who took care of my little dogs.....and not having to go to work there is absolutely no way I could've done it. It simply wouldn't have been possible. I know.....it seems like no big deal and that you'll just be in and out. My doc made it sound like a piece of cake beforehand. Well if it is then it's the WHOLE cake and that's just way too much to try and cram in your mouth at once. ....make that a 3-tiered cake too. ......Hope that helps some??....Be sure and get a couple more opinions from both orthos and pods both. .....will all most likely be very different and enlightening.

Good luck whichever way you choose!
cindy

Old 03-16-2006, 10:49 PM   #6
cind68
(female)

cind68 HB User

...i just reread your post again and your doc sounds as if he was taught to say the same words as mine did to me. ....yes, you'll just walk right out of there immed after surgery. Keep it iced and propped while u watch tv. You'll be up and going in no time. No need for physical therapy either of course. Just move your toe around and walk and you'll be just fine and dandy. ......remember!!!!!...he's not the one having the surgery done!!!...bet he never has had it ether! ....get the other opinions......sheez, the stuff they say beforehand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-17-2006, 04:34 AM   #7
footsy
(female)

footsy HB User
Cool Re: Double Bunionectomy Questions

Thanks for the opinions posted. Cind68 I've read your posts in the past. Sounds like you really had a rough time of it. Did you stay completely off your feet and ice them from day 1. I think that will be hard to do. I do a walk/run every weekend, but my bunions hurt so bad that now I only walk short distances. My new balance shoes have even gotten tight on me.
Most of what I've read had been pretty optomistic. Your comments are making me a little nervous. My husband says he's ready to take care of me. He's had to do that many times throughout our marriage. I've had several operations. When I was 16 I had back surgery twice and wore a body cast for one year. (Teachers came to my home for that year.) Of course that was many years ago - I'm 53 - turning 54 the day of my surgery.

I didn't think about getting a bed pan. I was thinking about possibly getting depends for the first few nights. (I'm embarassed to admit I'm even thinking about it.) I just want my hubby to have a restful night.
I have crutches that I've been practicing with and I'm definitely not coordinated enough to use them. I fall to the front, back and side when trying to walk with them (and that's with holding one foot up. So that is another reason that I want to get both done at once. My husband says I don't have enough upper arm strength to use crutches.

When I said I was getting the tendons cut, maybe that's wrong. The doctor said they've stretched as my big toe has moved over top my second toe,
so he has to sew them to tighten them.

rbstarr: We'll have to keep in touch. Hope all goes well for you. Be sure to read all the archived messages on this message board. Do a google search on bunionectomy and you should get about 15 archived pages. There's lots of good information. Some people had a rough time and some didn't. The important thing to remember about some of the quicker recoveries is that they might have had a different procedure. My understanding is that when the doctor cuts the bone, it's just like a break, so the recovery time is longer.

There's even some helpful hints for post surgery, ie, getting gel packs for your feet, port-a-potty, make ahead meals, microwave meals, jello/pudding, things that won't spill on you the first few days.

Someone that works across the hall from me and another person who is the sister of someone I work with both had the double bunionectomy and they said it was difficult, but if they had done one at a time, they might not have done the second foot. Time was important to both of them as far as leave time from work.

I will be wearing the post op surgical shoe too. No cast.

Have a great day!

Old 03-17-2006, 06:15 AM   #8
cind68
(female)

cind68 HB User

Footsy,
I honestly didn't mean to scare you at all. I am just being very realistic is all. I wish someone had've been with me. Sounds like you're having the same thing done as mine. They sawed off the bunion, then the metatarsal in a couple places (one of them in a few and some bone was removed) then realigned the muscles, all that stuff, and screws were put in to hold the bone together. I didn't have a cast ever, just these blue shoes that tied over w/velcro.
I am in very good shape w/lots of upper body strength. I play tennis every single day of the week ...well, now alternate some cause of the feet and no, am not nearly back up to my old game but will just take time....but before the surgery was in terrific shape and playing 3 hours or more/day..hard tennis too..no pittypat stuff here. Don't mean that bragging but just so you'll have an idea is all. I also work out on weights, etc for my tennis. (yes, league tennis is a big deal around here.)
Just from what you've told me here's what I would do if I were you. What I even wish I had done. I know you want them done at the same time and everything over and done with but you also don't want to go through anything close to what I had to. I wouldn't want you to either!! YIKES!
My neighbors mother across the street did this and didn't do physical therapy so isn't where I am but had she I believe would be ahead of me. ..anyway, here's personally what I would do so you won't be left miserable. Do one foot and see how it goes and get yourself pretty much up and going on that one. Then around 12 weeks later(which is NOTHING in the scheme of it all) do the other....and if you're not ready, then wait. My neighbors mom had hers done like that. She had a really hard time with that but was able to do lots of propping/icing at work and she had 6 weeks off from work each time as well which is why.
Yes, I did all the icing, propping, etc just as I was supposed to. Actually, with the first one I did really well and was up and going after about 4-5 days and overdid then was back down for a few. Before having the second one done I told my mom to tie me to the bed, put weights on me, whatever she had to do to make me stay there for 2 weeks as I'd been told that was a crucial time(who knows if it is...I'd just been told that?..) .....but that was NOT necessary!There was NO getting out of that bed after the second one. I was in horrific pain enough just IN it!!!Read some of my old posts and maybe they'll give a better idea??
I'm not trying to tell you what to do but only know what I've gone through and have heard of a few others the same..and it's horrible. Age makes a difference too I hate to say. I mean I'm 37y/o and in better shape than most 20y/os these days but when it comes to surgery?..still harder. I'm sure it helped that I was in good shape but like I said before. I've been through some really horrific surgeries in the past.....funny to me to see the shocked look on people when they see the scars across my body one side to the other! 8 of them too.sheez i know!Last was in my early 20s.
I guess it's like a doc told me once.....You can't kill a patient while you're trying to cure them. Hopefully that makes sense.If it doesn't now it sure will if you have them done at the same time. Not only will it wear you down but your hubby as well. My mom was so exhausted as was the rest of my family and I'm not even a complainer and didn't do any asking/instructing/nothin but it was just hard! Hard on me and hard on them. Yes every foot is diff and all go at diff rates but I know myself and my body well enough to tell you it would NOT be a good idea to do them together. I know it sounds so easy that way. Then the doc makes it sound like a piece of cake as well but it's just not that way. I wish so much I could tell you it were! SO MUCH! Having the one done though?..yes, it was easy for me. It wasn't until after the second one that I plummeted. Don't try and fool yourself after the first one either and then hop right back on the table for the second. I mean what is 12 weeks anyway? If you waited that long then you'd first of all have that time frame to work on that foot healing and it have time to get back up to baseline. You'd be propped and iced at first but then able to be mobile for the most part. Having both done at the same time will take that away. You'll be just stuck in the bed this summer....or stuck somewhere with icepacks and unable to move.My butt was literally numb.No kidding.I couldn't stand it.The fridge just a room away but no way could i get to it. And like I said, even though your hubby is willing now he will get tired. Let's face it... Mothers NEVER get tired of helping their children but I could tell mine was exhausted and she's on the go constantly everyday and able to take anything....always has been. I'm too much of a noncomplainer though and it was she who realized I wasn't even asking for water enough or when my juice/whatever would get hot I'd hate to bother her and have had kidney surgery so have always had to make sure I drink plenty(another surgery deal)...she realized I wasn't saying anything but was getting dehydrated so kept ice water there constantly after that. Going to the bathroom? If you did one foot at a time?You'll not have a prob getting there.If you do I'd suggest the bedpan.Worked great for me but I only needed it after the second one was done.If you need it after the first then do it....no big deal. Otherwise you will be waking your hubby up at first to help get you to the bathroom. ....hmm...actually after the first foot though my mom stayed here only one night. After that it was just me.I made it great. If I'd had my little dogs I wouldn't have and missed them but was grateful to have a friend who I knew loved them like her own and was able to take care of them during it all.
I'm sorry this is so rambly.....I'm trying to remember back to all and then writing it as I think of it so it's probably just coming out in spurts...sorry! I honestly am just thinking of your own good. I wouldn't wish what I went through on ANYONE. And the fact that you don't have to go through it?...then WHY??? I can tell you now that if you wait just that time length in between you'll be well just as fast as if you'd done them together....just w/o the misery part.The horrible misery part I mean.Why put yourself and everyone else through that?? On that time frame....doing one now then 12 weeks later the other you'll be able to get out this summer and be mobile some and enjoy life. It's all about quality of life afterall. Also, why have to make the decision now? Why not just wait and see how you do with the first and just make a commitment of waiting 8 weeks til the next one? That would be my minimum time recommended.You sound like me.....not wanting to miss life and love being on the go! Having them done together though is only going to take that away and make you more miserable.
I hate to sound so morbid about it all ....gosh, I REALLY do!!!!! Just knowing all I went through and what it's like there's no way I could sit by and let someone else put themselves through it and not say something. Let me ask this.......What is the reason you want them done at the same time? Do you work? What type support system do you have? What kind of shape are you in?...upper and lower body? Strengthwise 2. Not to be personal but is your weight low to normal? Do you like staying on the go? Do you have grandkids/church/other activities you're involved in? How's the rest of your health? What's your normal day like? Is your hubby going to be able to be there full time? I'm asking for a reason honest. I promise I ONLY want to help and want myself and everyone else to get through this...and all other things in life as quickly as possible. I don't like to drag out and don't think others do.
I know lots of this has been repetitive too but it just keeps going through my mind....why? For me it was because I wanted to be back on the tennis courts in time for league which starts in Jan of each year. According to what the doc told me I would be. I'm not sure what kind of tennis he plays but NOT my kind. I've never heard of "bedtennis"? not even "couchtennis"?? I'm not trying to scare you or make you afraid but wish so much someone had given me a heads up so I wouldn't have been gone through all that thinking it would just be no big deal..like the doc said. ...oh..and yes, you will be able to walk out on that foot. Please remember though it's not a "walk"...it's a hobble and also your whole foot and up to your knee basically are completely numb. You can't feet it at that point! It's also so bandaged up it's unreal. Plus being numbed up it feels huge. Kinda like how your mouth feels after the dentist. Maybe compare(in a very VERYVERYVERY small way) to wisdom teeth out. At first it's all numb and you walk out of there. Well, wobble out usually. But no, you don't feel any pain. It's not til all that wears off that you do.Even still I only took 1 or 2 pain pills with the first foot. It was the worst foot also. After that second one though?...WOW!!! My body was on overload and it was too much to handle.
...ok, now I am rambling....sorry!!!!I just don't want to see anyone have to go through complete h*** when they don't have to. Doing them separately will give you some time to get one better and allow you to be functional in there. It will not cut down on your time getting well either. If anything it will increase it and you'll most likely do fine and even wonder what the big deal is. You'll prolly even wish you'd had them done at the same time then....but if you had've done that then you'd definitely know you shouldn't have!!
I do hope first that all that made sense.....and secondly that I didn't scare you or anything. If you have any questions please feel free to ask away.
take care!!
cindy

Old 03-17-2006, 06:52 AM   #9
footsy
(female)

footsy HB User

Cind68, Thanks for taking the time to give me some things to think about. I was walking/running 5 miles each day of the weekend and a couple of days after work. So my legs are in good shape, but my arms are in pitiful shape - you know I can do the "wave" with my upper arms. My weight has been on the low to normal side. I have put on weight since the holidays, because I've quit walking. When I went for my feet, my doctor gave me a cortisone shot in my hip. I think I'm getting arthritis in it from when I had back surgery. They took part of my hip bone and fused it in to my spine. Anyway, I am concerned about this weight creeping on me, so I really want to be mobile again as soon as possible. None of my shoes fit me any more. At work I have to take them off because of the pain. I definitely like to stay on the go.
We have several trips planned for later in the summer. So I feel that if I space the surgeries apart, I'm not going to be able to go on the trips. I currently have them scheduled 5 weeks apart.
Hubby will be with me thru the first 2 weeks - till I get the stitches out. I just figured if I took 2 weeks off for each surgery plus double the doctor's visits that this would save me a lot of time. If I'm going to be down, I might as well get both done.
You are definitely giving me something to think about though. Thanks again. Debbie

Old 03-17-2006, 11:17 AM   #10
jeepgrrlz
(female)

jeepgrrlz HB User

Hi Footsy,
It looks like you've gotten plenty of adivse on here already. I'm 7 weeks post op on my right foot, so my experience with healing is pretty recent. My doctor also advised on one at a time. From my own personal experience, I'm glad I did it this way. I've been a little impatient with the healing, but the bunion pain is GONE and I do look forward to having my left foot done next year.

I did not have my bone shaved. It was cut and two screws were put in, but no tendon cutting or anything. He just basically put my toe back where it should be. I was also told I could put weight on it the first day. I discovered this was NOT the case. Simply putting the heel on the floor while on the potty made me scream. I could never imagine having two.

Two problems I had: One- Nerve pain. It has pretty much gone away, but he said sometimes when they move the nerve to perform the surgery, it get's irritated. This lasted me 2 months, and NO pain medication took it away. Nerve pain feels like a skin burn that never goes away. Two: Swelling. Regardless of how much weight you put on it, the longer your body is in any standing position, or if you let your feet down, blood races to the feet and they begin to swell almost instantly. I am still experiencing this. Less than last month, but as I type this, I have my foot elevated. You know your feet will swell, but you don't imagine for how long. I only just stopped the ice packs a week ago. My foot is currently twice the thickness of my other foot. And still somewhat numb too. I just began wearing Nikes and Birkenstocks, but forget about normal shoes for probably 3-5 months. It's not that other shoes hurt, they just don't FIT because of swelling. And as the weather gets warmer in spring, that will not help you.

I reccomend buying at least 4 gel packs and turning your freezer way up so you can alternate them

I'm glad your husband is offering to be so helpful. My husband was the same way. Of course after 4 weeks or so of doing EVERYTHING he had a little breakdown. He never realized how many little things I did, like the sweeping and grocery shopping etc. Not to mention he had to feed me every day. He still does quite a bit for me, but I'm glad to have some independece back.

I still have a bit of a limp, but overall I do not regret my decision to have it done. I just couldn't imagine not having at least one leg to hop on. I use my left foot while driving sometimes because it hurts to keep my fat one on the break during traffic. I hope everything works out for you. Keep us posted ok?

Old 03-17-2006, 11:37 AM   #11
cind68
(female)

cind68 HB User

Same thing here jeepgrrlz...the swelling and nerve pain really lingered on. I will say I thought the swelling would NEEEEVER stop but now? It may be very mild after alot of tennis but otherwise it's not there. I did like you and kept the ice going forever and if I needed it now would even. Yes, the summer heat/humidity will definitely add to the swelling also. I know I'll be playing tennis quite a bit then and will probably have to pull out the ice some but that's fine. It just really did amaze me how it all of a sudden left though. It wasn't a gradual thing really. Hopefully that will be the case for you as well.
I do hope I've not scared the beejeebers out of you Debbie!.....After reading what you wrote here's what I would do knowing what I know now. This is of course just imho and others may have better ideas ....just my thinking is all ..for whatever it's worth?? ......With you having trips your wanting to go on towards the end of the summer I would have the first foot done now and by then you'll be much more mobile and yes, have some discomfort but will be able to enjoy your trips. Why miss out on that?? Then schedule the second one for this fall. First of September maybe?? Just whatever works best for you in there. That way you'll be able to fit in the things you enjoy and have planned and not be completely down and w/o a leg to stand on. With doing it that way you'll also be pretty up and going ...or fairly mobile..mobile enough to enjoy the holidays and all anyway so you won't miss out on that. Then you'll be able to get it all over w/this year and enjoy things at the same time. ....And you'll have next year to look at as far as getting completely back to normal. That's just personally how I would do it. I know it sounds so easy to think of just getting it all over and done with now but as you can tell by the posts here it's not nearly like some docs tell you it will be. ....When they say "shave" the bone too.....I think they mean the same as what jeepgrrl and I had done.....they saw it. Not a pretty picture to think about no matter how it's put really but does sound like your doc is sugarcoating a bit.
Please do keep us posted! I know you'll make the best decision for you and that's what's most important. Good luck with it all!....and feel free to ask/post any questions or whatever here.....everyone knows I sure have!
cindy

Old 03-17-2006, 04:39 PM   #12
jules3
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

jeepgirl,
i just chuckled to myself..i do the same thing with my fat foot..it hurts too much to put pressure on the break..so i use my left foot for that too. btw, did you have othotics made? did your doc suggest them? im thinking about them..i had my left foot done 13 yrs ago when i was 29 yrs old..had a horrible bone infecton after that and needed 2 more surgeries & 6 weeks of iv antibiotics to fix up that foot..and its far from perfect . so it took me that long to get up the nerve to do the right foot..i think thats why im ok with this surgery..because that was unimaginable pain, hell o earth. so, maybe having them both done at the same time is not a bad idea..im almost 5 weeks out and just bought size 10 velcro sneakers..very un attractive but they fit..that orthopedic shoe was hurting me everywhere else..hip, knee etc... I do not have nerve pain, but do get all kinds of weird sensations on the top of my foot..so im sure thats from cut nerves..pins and needles, coldness stuff like that. I do not regret doing this foot but am totally losing patience with the healing process..it swells so bad at night. but im truley on my feet all day so thats my fault......

Old 03-17-2006, 07:55 PM   #13
joll43
Veteran
(female)

joll43 HB User

A bunionectomy is the last resort for our kind of foot pain -- why do so many of us treat it like a facial we're trying to squeeze in on our lunch hour? It will never be convenient. If you want to walk right after the procedure and also fully recover, don't have it done at all.

It seems like when the doctor SHAVES the bunion as opposed to actually cutting the bone, it's more of a cosmetic procedure - they're temporarily alleviating your pain, and the bunions have a greater chance of returning. I had both feet done, 4 months apart, and my bones were cut, reset, and I have permanent screws.

I think that's the difference here and the reason doctors can tell their patients they can walk on out of the office.

A bunionectomy is surgery, and there's no way of knowing when you'll be able to do the things you did beforehand.

I realize I'm the biggest advocate for physical therapy on here, but I can't understand having this done and not retraining the muscles and getting rid of scar tissue. My recovery took a LONG time, but it was worth it.

Sorry, I'm way off the track!

My doc's reason for not doing both feet at once: "What if there's a fire in your apartment and you're home alone? No way."

It was that simple.

Old 03-18-2006, 05:07 AM   #14
footsy
(female)

footsy HB User

joll43
Thanks for your input. I'm a big advocate of PT too. My husband has had three knee surgeries (two from running and one from slipping and falling on wet linoleum - tore the quadricep muscle off his knee cap). What a difference PT made for him. So if my doctor says do PT, I'll be there.
That makes a lot of sense about a fire. My husband will be here with me. He's a weight lifter and he can carry me. I have seizures about every 5-8 years. So I'm pretty controlled. But when I have them I don't have one I usually have 3-4. He has to carry me for a couple of days after that, because I'm so out of it. Everything in my brain becomes unconnected and it takes about a month to get my memory totally back. Sorry I got off the topic. Since I've been bedridden so many times in my life, I think I can handle being totally off my feet for the first 2 weeks till I get my stitches out. I just want to be able to wear shoes again and get back to being able to walk. I know this will take months. Hopefully by the 8 week mark I can wear Birkenstocks or something like that.
Some of the horror stories that I've read on here have almost convinced me not to have the surgery at all. But each day that I go to work and have to take my shoes off because my feet hurt so bad, I realize I have to get this done. I've put this off for a long time and I'm dreading it, but looking forward to the day when I have no more foot pain and can wear shoes all day long.
I really am a clutz (sp). I have tried every weekend to use crutches and I'm just not getting it. That's the other reason I'm leaning towards getting both done.
I've read this whole message board including archived material. It's really been helpful.
Thanks again for the posts. Debbie

Old 03-18-2006, 07:28 AM   #15
jules3
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

Just for the record..i had my bone cut and is being held together by 2 screws..Most doctors will not even shave the bone..that simply does not work,it will grow back. Also,the reason you can walk (hobble) after the scarf procedure or alot of other procedures is because your bone is being held together by the screws. bone is healed and mended by the 6 or 7 week mark.

Closed Thread