It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Flat Foot Reconstruction

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-17-2006, 07:22 PM   #1
    missmandiemoo
    (female)

missmandiemoo HB User
    Flat Foot Reconstruction

I'd really like to talk with someone who has had this surgery. March 25th was one year ago that I underwent major reconstruction surgery. Although I have use of my foot again, I almost regret having the surgery. I still have a lot of soreness, stiffness, swelling and I still do not have total function of my toes back. I am, however, walking, running ect.

Please read the posting rules which explain that offering or asking off board contact is not permitted. The boards are to be used for on board sharing, only. The email and private message features are turned off so that use of the message boards remain anonymous. The only contact you may make with members is to post on the board.

Last edited by missmandiemoo; 04-19-2006 at 08:07 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2006, 06:41 PM   #2
    wtwct
    (female)

wtwct HB User
    Re: Flat Foot Reconstruction

What did you have done? I had a triple fusion and tendon repair. It has not been the same.

Old 04-22-2006, 06:44 PM   #3
    missmandiemoo
    (female)

missmandiemoo HB User

They took the primary tendon to my toes (that makes them curl) and used it to create an arch. I had a cadavar bone placed on the right side of my foot to repair a joint that never worked properly and then my achilles tendon was lengthened. I was in a hard cast for 2 months. A soft cast for about 1.5 months and had to basically learn to rewalk again through physical therapy. I went from two crutches, to one, then to a cane. Im doing well now and Im even running. But, I still have stiffness and swelling.

Old 04-22-2006, 06:48 PM   #4
    wtwct
    (female)

wtwct HB User

I know that they say it takes time (a long time) to get back to somewhat normal. I cannot believe that you can run. That's great! I know what you mean about the stiffness and swelling. On the right foot, I had a tendon and ligament repair. Now it feels like it is pulling. It has been seven months and sometimes it feels as if it were only two months ago.

Old 05-12-2006, 10:49 PM   #5
    TPB
    (male)

TPB HB User

Hello.. I had a flat foot reconstruction surgery in May 2003. My experience wasn't great either. They used a piece of bone from my hip as opposed to cadaverous bone, but it still didn't completely fuse. This causes pain from time to time, especially with running; but I can live with it. I opted not to have the other foot operated on since the first one didn't go completely as planned. How is your arch? Mine has dropped somewhat, but it's still better than it was. Did your symptoms improve since the surgery? Are you going to have your other foot operated on? I haven't checked the board too much lately, but if you want to compare results, I'll try to check back more often. Thanks!!

Old 05-13-2006, 07:20 AM   #6
    missmandiemoo
    (female)

missmandiemoo HB User

I was told that taking a bone from my hip would be VERY painful. Im glad that they didnt do that. My arch is good. I really dont have problems with my foot except for the swelling and that it aches from time to time and seems stiff. I still cant wear shoes with any type of heel on them and that kind of stinks with summer getting close and all of the cute shoes out. I sometimes wonder if I will ever be able to wear those shoes again. Did they lengthen your achilles tendon as well? I have a bit of scar tissue back there that hasnt gone away yet. How long were you in a hard cast? Soft case? Cam cast? Did you have difficulty in physical therapy? Oh and my burning question is....can you wiggle your toes? I cant bend them and was told Id never fully regain that function back. Its strange and gets on my nerves at times.

Old 05-14-2006, 07:13 PM   #7
    TPB
    (male)

TPB HB User

I was in a hard cast for about 10 weeks, and a "cam walker" for another 10 or so. It was awful. I was on crutches for a full 3 months. I still haven't gained full function of my toes back either. Recently.. and I can only explain this as a miracle.. I felt a huge pop in the middle of my foot, and I was able to curl my big toe again.. first time in over three years, but the others still don't function the way they used to. I know what you mean, it was annoying to me as well. I don't exactly know what happened, like I said I consider it a miracle!! The bone graft from my hip wasn't that bad.. I've got a bad scar there, but no one can see it, so it's fine. Did your bone graft heal completely? Mine did not, which still causes some problems. I think I waited too long to have the surgery. I was in my mid-30's when I had it done. You sound much younger than me. Yes, they did lengthen my achilles tendon, and I too have a scar, but it's bearly visable. Physical therapy was painful, but I survived it. It sounds as though you only had one side operated on too. I decided almost right away that I wasn't going to do the other side. I'm glad to hear that your arch is good.. mine was great at first, but has lost some of it's correction.

Old 05-27-2006, 01:01 PM   #8
    bjj player
    (male)

bjj player HB User

I have a question missmandiemoo...Im about to have recunstructive surgery on my right foot and what my doc wants to do is lenghthen my ackilis tenden, put two screws in my foot to form an arch and im going to have a sub talar joint fusion since I have pretty bad arthritis. Can you please tell me if you have any kind of severe pain from the surgery and if your foot looks like a normal foot?
    thanks

Closed Thread