It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Bunion & Hammertoe Surgeries

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-26-2006, 08:17 PM   #1
    CJOV
    (female)

CJOV HB User
    Unhappy Bunion & Hammertoe Surgeries

Hi all, first I'd like to say how glad I am to have found this site! I had a bunion removed from my left foot and a screw put in my big toe 8 years ago. Now am having a bunion removed from my right foot, big toe straightened, and also surgery for 2 hammertoes. This is scheduled for July 13, but I am already nervous about it. I remember my bunion surgery from years ago, and remember what it was like recovering from that and am wondering how this surgery will be since it is more involved. Has anyone had these done the same time?
    I seen the doctor in March and because of work decided to wait till July for the surgeries. When I seen the doctor he noticed that the big toe on my left foot had moved back again but said if it wasn't bothering me he wouldn't bother with it. Well, since I seen him last I have developed a corn on my second toe from the big toe rubbing on it. I am considering having that toe straightened again also, but would like some advice on whether to have it done at the same time as the other foot or not.
    I'd appreciate hearing from you.
    Thanks, CJOV

Last edited by CJOV; 05-26-2006 at 08:23 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2006, 10:02 PM   #2
    KathJack
    (female)

KathJack HB User
    Re: Bunion & Hammertoe Surgeries

I had a double bunionectomy (big toes straightened and the bumps sawed off) and two hammertoes done all at the same time exactly two weeks ago. I am very glad I had it all done at once. Can't say the last two weeks have been exactly FUN, but I don't think it would be that different if I'd had just some of the work done. I'd still have had to rest, ice, & elevate, still need help around the house, etc. The pain has not been significant and I've not been totally helpless. (I was able to walk short distances, like to the bathroom, using my "special" surgical shoes from the first day.) I am just now starting to walk any distance and know that I have a lot of healing and strengthening still ahead of me, but I'm glad to get it all over with rather than drag it out with separate surgeries over a long period of time. I was able to borrow a wheel chair which has helped me get out and around more, but I could have survived without it. This is just one perspective, but if you read the Double Bunionectomy Questions thread which started 3/16/06 and closed 5/24/06, you'll find a lot of shared experience, advice, and encouragement from several people who had similiar procedures done this spring. Good luck!

Old 05-28-2006, 08:35 AM   #3
    lizzy21
    (female)

lizzy21 HB User
    Re: Bunion & Hammertoe Surgeries

Hi! I recently had bunion surgery- a fusion of my big toe. Unforunately, Mine failed and I will be back in surgery on June 5th, this time they are going to put a screw in, in hopes of the fusion taking. Anyway, what kind of bunion surgery are you going to have? If you are having both big toes fused I would highly recommend that you do not do it at the same time. It is hard enough to get around when one has been done, but to have both done means that you would pretty much be stuck at home for 12 weeks.

Liz

Old 05-29-2006, 07:15 PM   #4
    CJOV
    (female)

CJOV HB User
    Smile Re: Bunion & Hammertoe Surgeries

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate hearing from you.
    Cindy

Closed Thread