It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Ortho surgeon VS podiatric surgeon

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-27-2006, 08:55 AM   #1
    Heather13
    (female)

Heather13 HB User
    Cool Ortho surgeon VS podiatric surgeon

Hello people!
    I saw a thread on here that some of you foot people had discussed awhile ago. It's about the decision between an orthopedic surgeon vs a podiatric surgeon... who would be best qualified to perform a bunion surgery, and which doctor might have the best success.
    I found from the past thread that most people thought an orthopedic surgeon would be best.
    I find this strange. I would have thought a podiatric surgeon would easily be the better choice. I guess what I'm basing it on is "specialty" of a field.
    The orthopedic surgeon does ALL KINDS of surgeries that involve bone, not just the foot.
    The podiatric surgeon just does foot surgeries. Since bunions are a very common foot ailment, they would be very likely to perform a high number of bunion surgeries in a year, compared to a orthopedic surgeon. Thus, wouldn't they have the most experience and skill?
    I'm just wondering what other people think, and what their experiences have been. I just can't see the negative side of going to a podiatric surgeon.
    I guess if I'm in Canada in a small city that might play a part on how experienced the orthopedic surgeon is. I'm looking to go to a bigger city to get my surgery, and was looking for eligible podiatric surgeons. Thanks all in advance!

Last edited by Heather13; 06-27-2006 at 08:58 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2006, 09:19 AM   #2
    moondancer2
    (female)

moondancer2 HB User
    Re: Ortho surgeon VS podiatric surgeon

Heather....
    At least around here (I'm in Massachusetts, but I did NOT go to Boston, either for my OS or the procedures), there are very few OSs who do not specialize. The OS I saw, specializes in feet and ankles...and is in surgery between 2 and 2 1/2 days/week. I've seen a different OS in that same office, for tendinitis in my shoulder. I do know there are some crossover issues....I think almost anyone in the group will do arthroscopic knee repairs...when I checked them out, online, I saw that one of them did nothing but hands and fingers. On the flip side, not all podiatrists do a lot of surgery...and the podiatrist I consulted with 10 years ago, was going to do only a bumpectomy, rather than a bunionectomy.

I didn't do a count, on the earlier thread, but the sense I got was that - rather than people 'voting' for one or the other, the conclusion was that you've got to check out your healthcare provider, including how often they do the procedure you're considering.

good luck.

Laurie (finally -- on the dance floor again!!.....limited, but on the dance floor)

Old 06-27-2006, 09:39 AM   #3
    Heather13
    (female)

Heather13 HB User
    Talking Re: Ortho surgeon VS podiatric surgeon

Ok, I see now. The orthopedic surgeons you have dealt with SPECIALIZE in feet. I didn't know orthopedic surgeons specialized. I think up here it is common to have podiatric surgeons. Yes they are podiatrists, but they have specialized in podiatric surgery, and surgeries take up most of their time. I don't think we have any orthopedic surgeons specialized in feet around my province, but it's definitely something I'll look into. The podiatric surgeons that I've talked to seem very knowledgable and do bunion surgeries all the time, so they are probably equivalent to your specialized orthopedic surgeons.

I'm happy to hear you're back on the dance floor! Your husband must be thrilled. Hope you're not pushing yourself too hard though! Which dances are you able to do (I think you were mentioning Fox Trot) and which ones are you finding you need more time to recover before you tackle them?

Old 06-27-2006, 11:27 AM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I too went to an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in feet only. In the states, most do specialize if they are in a city of any size. Some only do long bone (legs, arms), some only do hands, etc. I didn't have a bunionectomy but a cheilectomy which is similar but the bones aren't at an angle. Anyway, he is a sports med doc and since my injury was sports related, I felt that was a better fit...that he'd get me back running sooner. Good luck!

Old 06-27-2006, 01:20 PM   #5
    racecarsnotdogs
    (female)

racecarsnotdogs HB User

I'm not sure how it is in Canada, but here in the states, a podiatrist doesn't go to medical school. Instead they go to a school of podiatry (of which there are eight in the country) and earn a DPM degree (doctor of podiatric medicine). I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but I felt more comfortable seeing someone who actually went to medical school and did all of the training associated with that.

I've heard podiatrists referenced in the same breath with chiropractors. I think it's just a personal preference type of thing. I went to see both (a podiatrist and a orthopedic surgeon) before having my surgery with the surgeon. He made me feel much more comfortable, and did his surgery in a hospital instead of in an office, like the podiatrist did.

Old 06-27-2006, 03:31 PM   #6
    sorefootsophie
    Veteran
    (female)

sorefootsophie HB User

Racecarsnotdogs.....I beg to differ with your statement in the above post. Yes a podiatrist goes to a 4 year school of podiatry but my doctor (a DPM) also completed a three year foot and ankle surgical residency AFTER the podiatry school. He ALSO has a great bedside manner, takes the time to answer all my questions and promptly returns all phone calls himself....if I need to speak with him. I bet there are some good Orthopedic Surgeons out there but there are others who don't give their patients the time of day. Each individual doctor should be judged on his/her own merit. Oh and my surgery in November and the upcoming one in July was and will be in a prominent big city hospital. I would imagine it would depend on the procedure performed. Sophie

Last edited by sorefootsophie; 06-27-2006 at 03:35 PM.

Old 06-27-2006, 06:15 PM   #7
    jules3
    Inactive
    (female)

jules3 HB User

I would never have bunion surgery done in a doctors office. I had 2 bunions done by podatrists..and had foot surgery done in The Hospital For Special surgery in new york city. By a foot and ankle orthopedic surgeon. A general orthopedic surgeon would probably not want to take on bunion surgery. since they mostly take care of knees and shoulders..Im pretty sure the bottom line is your location and how far away you are from a large city..foot and ankle surgery is a specialty. not too easy to find..

Old 06-28-2006, 06:43 AM   #8
    racecarsnotdogs
    (female)

racecarsnotdogs HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sorefootsophie
    Racecarsnotdogs.....I beg to differ with your statement in the above post. Yes a podiatrist goes to a 4 year school of podiatry but my doctor (a DPM) also completed a three year foot and ankle surgical residency AFTER the podiatry school. He ALSO has a great bedside manner, takes the time to answer all my questions and promptly returns all phone calls himself....if I need to speak with him. I bet there are some good Orthopedic Surgeons out there but there are others who don't give their patients the time of day. Each individual doctor should be judged on his/her own merit. Oh and my surgery in November and the upcoming one in July was and will be in a prominent big city hospital. I would imagine it would depend on the procedure performed. Sophie
    I think I was very careful to say that it is up to personal preference. Of course there are some surgeons who are good, and some who aren't, in any specialization. I went to both, and made my decision based on who I felt more comfortable with. I realize both do extensive amounts of training, I merely was saying that an orthopedic surgeon goes to a traditional medical school, while a podiatrist doesn't. You can't disagree with that statement. It's a fact. I'm completely of the opinion that you should stick with someone who makes you feel comfortable, but I would recommend meeting with at least a few doctors before choosing one, if they're available in your area.

Old 06-28-2006, 03:26 PM   #9
    lizzy21
    (female)

lizzy21 HB User

Hi! I went to an orthopedic surgeon to have my bunion surgery done. My OS specializes in feet and ankles, and is the best OS in upstate ny (where I am from) to go to. He is the one who all of the podiatrists send their patients to when they don't know how to do a certain procedure or if they feel that the issue/problem is one that can be better handled by someone else.
    I really feel that it is up to the person. All doctors, (podiatrists and OS) are different and have different demeanors. Choose the doctor that you feel is the one most capable and has the best reputation for performing the procedure you need to have done.
    Good luck!

Liz

Old 06-29-2006, 03:21 PM   #10
    janieab
    (female)

janieab HB User

All 3 of my foot surgeries (including the latest one 4weeks post op MTP fusion and fusion of 2nd and 3rd toes) were from the same podiatrist. He is a good doctor and and very personable. He listens to you and works in the best interest of all his patients. I had shoulder surgery from an orthopedist and he didn't give me the time of day. I felt like I was just another patient.
    Each has their own experience with various types of doctors. You really do have to use your own judgement and do homework.
    Janie

Old 06-30-2006, 10:48 AM   #11
    moondancer2
    (female)

moondancer2 HB User

Heather...I saw my OS at 8 and 5 weeks postop, and asked about dancing...he wisely said he needed to see the x-rays first (that was one of the primary purposes of that appt, anyway). after seeing the after x-rays, he said i could go dancing BUT... be reasonable, wear flats, take 2 aleve 45 minutes before, and ice after, and don't be surprised if i can't do an entire song. i told him i had some tennis shoes, to which i'd glued suede soles, and he was very pleased.
    So we went dancing that weekend. my stride was much shorter than usual, and i was dancing mostly flatfooted, but i could do rumba, merengue, foxtrot, and kind of a sloppy chacha. to my surprise (good), i could do tango - esp. promenades and pivots (all heel weighted!). so my surprise (bad), i could not do any waltz, at any speed. also, the figures i could do were limited, of course. no underarm turns, i had to change everything to a walkaround turn. fortunately, my husband was quite inventive in modifying figures to accommodate what i could/couldnot do.
    we then went out 2 weeks later (last weekend). at that point (which was also after 2 weeks of PT, i could underarm turns, if the song wasn't too fast, and i wasn't too tired, and we could also add waltz.
    hubby is being such a gem, not complaining at all. at my suggestion, he snagged a couple of quicksteps with someone else, and of course we are not yet attempting viennese, samba, or hustle!
    yes, my feet hurt at the end of an evening, and the next day as well -- bad for my soles, but good for my soul! but i ice a lot that night and the next day, and by the evening of the next day, i seem to be back on track....so no harm done, and a huge boost to my mental health.

I know this is a really tough decision for you. i wish i'd had these done 12 years ago, when i first consulted with someone on it --- i healed much faster a dozen years ago, than i do now!!

good luck, and listen to your feet. they'll tell you when it's time.

laurie

Old 07-01-2006, 06:43 PM   #12
    sonshine96
    (female)

sonshine96 HB User

I had seen a couple of podiatrist recently to have my bunion evaluated, but I was curious on how a orthopedic surgeon might differ. Afterall, I want the best since we're talking about my feet---my job requires me to be able to be up and around on them for over 12 hrs in one day!

I recently was looking for a local orthopedic surgeon who had experience performing bunionectomies, but I wasn't able to find one in my area. I did find one who advertized a specialty in foot & ankle surgeries (including bunionectomies), but when I went by the office to ask questions, the staff member I talked to said his specialty was carpel tunnel. Huh?

After my "research" I came to the conclusion that the person I wanted performing surgery on MY foot would have to be someone who has had extensive experience with bunion removals with a good reputation, whether it was a podiatrist or an orthopedic surgeon. Most likely either would be a good pick if they are definitely good at what they do. I did hear that it might be a good thing to make sure that the person you choose to perform your surgery be certified by the American Board of Podiatric Surgery and/or the American College of Foot & Ankle Surgeons. Once again, though, just because they are "certified" doesn't necessarily mean that they are always the best pick, but I would much rather prefer someone who is certified to perform surgery AND has had the experience.

I did come across a podiatrist who is a podiatric surgeon. He seems to specialize in bunion removals (he has performed over 3,000!) and seems to have a great reputation (even from people in other countries), but whose office is about 4 hrs away from me! However, I did decide to make an appointment to see him, and I did just that yesterday! I was very impressed! (I'll start another thread about my visit since I have a question for all of you bunion sufferers and those who have already had surgery).

My advise in choosing a physician would be to look at the type of experience they have in performing bunionectomies and maybe try to talk to former patients to see what their experience was and how they were treated. Would they recommend that you go see that particular physician?

Good luck with your search!
    Carolyn

Last edited by sonshine96; 07-01-2006 at 06:54 PM.

Old 07-01-2006, 09:14 PM   #13
    ugatah
    (female)

ugatah HB User

Hi there. I went to a podiatrist surgeon for my bunion/arthritis and hammer toe surgery. I was too hasty, I think. My feet are worse than before and I am on pain management medication. I would advise that you do your homework very carefully, and ask lots of questions of anyone with some experience of this type of surgery. All the best for whatever you choose.
    Cheers

Old 07-12-2006, 04:54 PM   #14
    Kirstin815
    (female)

Kirstin815 HB User

To Lizzy21 in upstate New York - Can you tell me the name of your orthopedic surgeon? I live in Saratoga Springs and I am scheduled to have a bunionectomy on Monday with a podiatrist but I am having second thoughts. Thanks for your recommendation.

Old 07-12-2006, 10:29 PM   #15
    expo-92
    (female)

expo-92 HB User

I have had several surgeries on both feet for tendons and bone fusions. To start with I went to a podiatric sugeon and I liked him. The first thing he suggested was surgery. A pharmachist who filled my meds suggested an OS. After talking to others, they also said OS usually try other means of healing first and use surgery as a last resort. I changed over, I know my OS has been there for me thru everything and always tells me the pros and cons of the surgery. Others have told me podiatric mainly go for surgery first. I really don't know which is better. I just know I prefer the OS, he has treated my shoulder, hand. etc.,so I hope he can help with anything that goes wrong with my mechanical parts!
    Good luck with everything and I'll remember you in my prayers!!

expo-92

Closed Thread