It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Southern CA podiatric surgeon--anyone familiar?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-01-2006, 07:48 PM   #1
    sonshine96
    (female)

sonshine96 HB User
    Painless procedure by S. CA podiatric surgeon--anyone familiar?

Hi all,

I have been searching for a physician to remove a bunion that has developed on my left foot, and last month I visited two local podiatrists, but my research didn't stop there. I recently made an appointment with a podiatric surgeon from Southern CA who advertizes a virtually painless procedure for bunion removal. I was skeptical since I came across his website online while performing my own research on bunions, and had heard a few horror stories about how painful bunionectomies can be. Of course, not wanting to be in pain myself and not wanting a prolonged recovery period, I was interested in what made his procedures and outcomes so different. After roaming through the website, I was curious enough to make an appointment with him to get an evaluation and to find out more, even though his office was more than a 4 hour drive away! I just met with him yesterday, and I have to admit, I was impressed with my visit. He was very professional, answered all of my questions, had a confidence about himself (not in a cocky way at all) and seemed to "know his stuff".

I know just because a surgeon performs surgeries doesn't mean that he (or she) has to perform them well, but there are surgeons that ARE better than others, right? What if a surgeon has perfected a technique that no one else can perform it the very exact same way?

Now, getting back to bunions.......I have heard of people that have had good and bad experiences with bunion removal, but this surgeon states that 97% of his patients have very little or no pain. He has performed over 3,000 bunionectomies and many of his patients can testify that it was almost painless and had easy recoveries. Is it too good to be true?

I do need to have my bunion removed sometime soon but I haven't made a final decision on who to choose, especially after my visit yesterday. I was curious if any of you are familiar with this podiatric surgeon in Southern CA. His name is Dr. Richard Moy, DPM. Patients come to him from all over the states and he even mentioned yesterday that a patient flew in from England just to have her bunionectomy performed by him. Is anyone familiar with him?

Thanks!
    Carolyn

Last edited by sonshine96; 07-02-2006 at 01:27 AM. Reason: removal of MD's website address

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2006, 08:28 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Painless procedure by S. CA podiatric surgeon--anyone familiar?

May I suggest Dr. Mohr, head of podiactric med at UCLA? He did a cheilectomy (similar to a bunionectomy ) on Shaquille O'Neal when he was with the Lakers. You can do online research on him and O'Neal's surgery.

Old 07-02-2006, 01:22 AM   #3
    sonshine96
    (female)

sonshine96 HB User
    Re: Please honor your membership agreement.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by moderator2
    Please read and follow the posting rules
    Oops! Sorry that I didn't follow the posting rules. I wasn't sure if it was okay to post a website and I couldn't find the posting rules. Duh, I see the link now----maybe I should have my eyes checked, too!

Thanks for the reminder!

Old 07-05-2006, 12:57 PM   #4
    moondancer2
    (female)

moondancer2 HB User
    Re: Southern CA podiatric surgeon--anyone familiar?

sonshine....after my initial consultation with the OS tht my primary care referred me to, i did a lot of online searching.....and i found dr. moy's website. hubby and i then had a follow-up consultation with the OS (i'm in MA, so seeing Dr. Moy was not an option)...and mentioned the website. my OS was familiar with the website, and in fact said he knows dr. moy...and said the procedure he does is essentially the same, and the little video was an excellent depiction of the process. and he said that the rest of the website was mostly accurate, although presented an overly optimistic view of the recovery process.
    since my procedures (my feet were done 3 weeks apart), i've gone back to that site, to see what i think of it, now that i'm done, and here are some comments...

the procedure is painless -- bc you're either under anesthesia, or a nerve block. and having had a nerve block, i had no pain, for about 12 hours after. i then had a lot of pain for about 3 days, and took pain pills, but not enough to knock me out..so the pain was not nonexistent, but it was certainly tolerable. largely bc of the nerve block, i had to use crutches that first day...after that, for the next 2 days i used crutches, but also put a bit of weight on the heel of the foot that had been operated on. after the first 3 days, i quit using crutches.
    Frankly, after watching the video again, it amazes me that i could do that much....and i find it impossible to imagine that there would be virtually no post-op pain.
    in terms of a quick recovery....what are you looking for? do you want to get back to work? do you want to walk without a limp? run? wear heels? go hiking? keep in mind that dr. moy's procedure involves cutting a wedge out of the bone, which means that the two 'new' ends have to heal. bone -- whether cut, or broken, requires 6-8 weeks to heal. dr. moy's procedure also involves cutting tendons and ligaments. tendons and ligaments, whether torn, or cut, require about 6 months to heal. having said all of that, i was cooking dinner, about 5 days post-op, i was able to do some work from home, about a week post-op, i returned to the office 10 days post op...and i had no one to 'take care' of me during the day, and going to work required that i drive myself. Today, 12 weeks post foot 1, and 9 weeks post foot 2, i walk without a limp, and with my pre-op long stride. I can go up on my toes, and i can crouch down (both of which put all of your weight on your toes). But I can't wear heels for more than about half an hour (and i'm talking low heels), and my ballroom dancing is still somewhat impaired........the bone is fine, the muscles are recovering well, the tendons and ligaments are heeling, but the rules of physiology dictate that the tendons and ligaments are not yet 100%....and Dr. Moy does not suggest that his procedure supersedes the normal healing process.
    It's a good procedure. I'm glad I had it done. But don't think you'll be playing tennis, or running marathons, or wearing high heels, a month after the procedure.

Closed Thread