It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• enough time to recover after bunion surgery???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-14-2006, 11:01 PM   #1
    rubmybunion
    (female)

rubmybunion HB User
    Question enough time to recover after bunion surgery???

OK, I have my bunion surgery scheduled for aug. 23rd, and i told my boss i would need a month to recover, i am a hairstylist at a supercuts(20 cuts a day=all day standing) and she only marked 3 weeks off on the calender i love hair with a passion and i want to get back to work ASAP(dont we all) but 3 weeks doesnt SEEM like enough for an all day standing work day... so, does anyone else's job include standing all day like this, and if so.... can you recommend a more realistic healing time estimate or is 3 weeks enough??????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2006, 07:30 AM   #2
    evelyn_g
    Inactive
    (female)

evelyn_g HB User
    Re: enough time to recover after bunion surgery???

My doctor said I'd be able to fully bear weight beginning at three weeks. I don't know that I'd be confident standing and walking all day at that point.

My other problem, which may or not apply to you, is that I have to wear the velcro shoe for six weeks. I am trying on all my other shoes but can't find a perfect match in terms of sole and heel height so I am essentially "uneven" all the time with one leg a little longer (or shorter) than the other. I find that very tiring on my back for the little bit that I do walk. So for someone on their feet all day, I think that would be difficult. (has anyone out there found a solution to this?)

I would think a part-time schedule at first would be helpful for you to regain your strength and stamina and see how your foot is holding up. Is it possible for you to go in for a half day or less and gradually build back up to full time?

Old 07-15-2006, 09:30 AM   #3
    1debz
    (female)

1debz HB User

HI
    I am now 9 weeks after double bunion surgery and Im still not back at work. My job entails standing 8 hours at a time and I could maybe just about manage it now, I stood for 3 hours the other day and my feet swelled like balloons.
    Maybe you could consider going back part-time to begin with?
    Hope you have a speedy recovery
    Deb x

Last edited by 1debz; 07-15-2006 at 03:45 PM.

Old 07-15-2006, 10:37 AM   #4
    lizzy21
    (female)

lizzy21 HB User

Hi! First, I want to welcome you to this board, it is a great place for support and encouragement. So, do you know what type of surgery you are going to be having? Every type of surgery requires a different recovery time. I had a fusion of the mtp joint in my big toe. I am not allowed to be full weight bearing for 12 weeks and then I have to go to PT. However, I believe that, that is the longest recovery time of all of the procedures.
    So, I would suggest that you talk to your doctor and find out what procedure he/she will be performing and how long the recovery time is. I know how you feel about work.....I am a waitress and going back to work so soon is not an option for me. Fortunately, my bosses love me and are working with me and are extremely supportive.

Good luck with everything and let us know what happens!

Liz

Old 07-15-2006, 11:55 AM   #5
    jules3
    Inactive
    (female)

jules3 HB User

Rub, i had a bunionectomy in feb..and went back to work about 2 weeks later..3 days a week on my feet for 5 hrs straight..it was ok while doing it..but i paid for it at night..had to keep my foot up for hours when i got home from work..i got thru it and am happy i did it.,my boss pays me well, i did not want to lose my job.

Old 07-15-2006, 08:52 PM   #6
    rubmybunion
    (female)

rubmybunion HB User

honestly i have no clue what kind of surgery im having, i went to the foot dr. she took x-rays and asked me about my levels of pain(a lot) and she recommended orthodics(which were quoted at 500 bucks round trip with no insurence coverage) and i told her i wanted to fix the problem instead of trying to just putting the pain off until it gets worse, and we scheduled an appt. I think i just have a bunion, not too too big not very little at all, but she didnt say the procedure wasnt any more involved then your "standard" bunion removal, i didnt know there were different kinds. i started wearing better shoes, dansko's and whatnot and arch supports...and it feels better at work, but when i lay down for bed, i toss and turn because i get these awful sharp pains, i actually cant express the discomfort its terrible...is that normal....

Old 07-16-2006, 01:07 PM   #7
    Beekermlady
    (female)

Beekermlady HB User

Rub,

I am a toll collector and stand on my feet for 8 hours at a time. One of my initial injuries was from a fall I took crossing a lane at work. When I was put in a CAM-Walker as a form of treatment for 6 weeks I was told, by the work doctor, that I was not allowed to work with the CAM-Walker on for insurance reasons !! We are required to walk down a few flights of stairs, through a tunnel and then across the lanes until we are in the lane that we are working (all while caring a tray of money). I had my surgery June 9th to repair the tendons and ligaments in my ankle. I have been in a splint and hard cast since the surgery and at the end of July I am having my cast removed, unfortunately I think I will have to go back into the CAM-Walker PWB until I am strong enough to walk on it without re-injuring it. That means I will not be allowed back to work until I am able to walk on my own without assistance. I also have to go through PT before I go back. I am not sure how long this will all take. I will find out at my next appointment with my doctor. My job will be waiting for me when I get back, but until then I have no source of income.

The only advice I can give to you is to ask your doctor what they think, and they tell your boss. Ask if there is anyway you could work for less hours.

Happy Healing,
    Britt

Closed Thread