It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Bunion Surgery Questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-05-2006, 08:35 AM   #1
    akitalvr
    (female)

akitalvr HB User
    Talking Bunion Surgery Questions

i found this website through asearch and what a great resource! i've found a few doctors (1 especially that was recommended) and i want to do the surgery in November or December maybe. I'm a very active woman but years of making up stories on why i can't go to the beach, pool, take a yoga class are just getting to me and breakin my spirit. why is this such a big deal for us women? anyway i'm planning on doing one at a time b/c mysisterdid 2 at the same time and she advised me against it, lol. i just started a new job and i don't have a lot of vacation time although my boss is very cool so i'm sure if i needed more time it would be okay. after the surgery how easy was it to get around? i had 1 surgery done when i was 20 and other than scarring my foot (it's not noticeable now) the surgeon did a crap job, it was like he didn't even care really. realistically if i do one foot at a time can i take off a week or 2 from work and then go back to work? i have a desk job but i live in a walk up apartment and the train station by my job is all stairs, lol.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2006, 09:35 AM   #2
    KathJack
    (female)

KathJack HB User
    Re: Bunion Surgery Questions

Hi, Akitalyr~ I can only talk about the experience of doing both feet at once. I had mine done in mid-May. Most doctors are not enthusiastic about doing double bunionectomies; I think partly because they fear that their patients will not follow through in the necessary steps—or in this case, lack of them—for recovery. I promised to be good and was, but it required careful planning/preparation and help from my family. I chose to do both feet at once for several reasons—even though it was more time away from work initially, I felt that it would be less total time off than to have shorter recoveries from two different surgeries. Secondly, I knew that a huge part of recovery is to keep the foot elevated and iced—It’s pretty hard to get around while your foot is being elevated, so I figured why not elevate two feet at the same time. Same with pre-surgery exams & check-ups, dealing with side effects from anesthesia, pain drugs, etc.—Two for the price of one. I cannot imagine going walking to a train, up & down lots of stairs, etc. the second week after even just one bunionectomy. Aside from how you might be feeling, doing too much could slow or damage healing. I pretty much kept my feet up as much as possible the first and second weeks. Even after that, it’s a still good idea to elevate (and ice) whenever you can. My GUESS is that without a chauffeur, you would want and/or need to be off work for at least two weeks for one foot and three weeks for two. I had hammertoe corrections in addition to the bunionectomies and I felt that those little toes were slower to heal, so you may be on your feet faster, but probably not fast enough to handle your commuting issues much sooner. (How long a walk do you have to and from the train from your apartment and from your office?) Most people choose to have one foot done at a time, but I have absolutely no regrets about doing both at once. I’m doing great now, walking about two miles at a time, and already my scars (longer ones on the sides of my feet from the bunion surgery and little ones on the tops of my second toes from the hammertoe surgery) are very inconspicuous. Finding a good doctor is key. I used a podiatrist, but many people prefer OS surgeons who specialize in ankles & feet. You’ll find a lot of opinions, wisdom & experience, and information on this board if you go back and read some of the entries about bunionectomies. The Double Bunionectomy Questions threads (there are two) were a huge support to me throughout my experience. Best wishes.

Old 08-05-2006, 02:50 PM   #3
    akitalvr
    (female)

akitalvr HB User
    Talking Re: Bunion Surgery Questions

thanks for the advice. i was actually worrying about the time factor since i just started this job (well it's been 9 months but i'm still new, lol) and didn't want to take a lot of time off. i have about a five minute walk from the train station to home & work. i was actually thinking about having my friend stay with me for a bit while i recuperate. i'm still wary abot doing two at the same time especially since i do have a lot of stairs in my life, lol. i figure i could always hobble around on the good foot while the other is healing, lol. i'm going to read some more of the stories here but you've been a big help, thanks

Old 08-05-2006, 05:04 PM   #4
    daniel___w
    (male)

daniel___w HB User

I would not adivse against the surgery if it is what you want but I think you should make sure you realise having bunions is nothing to be ashamed of - however, if you are suffering a lot of pain then it is a different matter. Pain does not mean by the way after you have been wearing high heels all day as you should not even be thinking fo this basically. At then end of the day it is a fairly serious op. - I speak from experience as my ex-girlfriend had a double bunion operation for the reasons you are describing - and I spent a few years with her as her bunions got worse and worse and saw he frustration at not being able to wear whatever shoes she wanted. Luckily she had a quick recovery relatively and I told her she had to be careful with shoes...I have now heard that about a year after the op. she is back to wearing killer heels and one of the bunions is coming back so it all seems a bit pointless.
    P.S. In case u are wondering why I am on here I am surfing the web looking for advice for myself about my flat feet...I hate them but guess its not as bad as having serious bunions!

Last edited by daniel___w; 08-05-2006 at 08:18 PM.

Old 08-08-2006, 06:21 PM   #5
    Pitpat
    (female)

Pitpat HB User

Hello!
    I am 4 weeks post-op, and, like Kath, I did mine at the same time. I promise you, we are not ganging up on you though! I know there are plenty of people on this board who would advise against doing them at the same time. But for me, it has worked out well. As far as recovery goes, the type of surgery you have makes a difference. I had a double scarf, which I think is less drastic than some of the other bunion surgeries I have heard about here (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). I did them at the same time for the same reasons as Kath, plus my pod recommended it (but maybe it if were a different surgery he wouldn't have). I spent most of my 1st 2 weeks with my feet up, mainly getting up to use the bathroom. However, I was allowed to bear weight right from the beginning, which some of the other surgeries do not allow for. That made a BIG difference. At 4 weeks, I am coming back to the real world. I can walk at least 7 blocks comfortably. I watched a movie last night without putting my feet up, and it was OK. And tomorrow I am going grocery shopping for the 1st time. I too have a desk job, and I am going back Thursday (have been working from home on laptop). Will you be able to put your feet up at your desk? I think that is an important factor in going back to work. You would probably not be comfortable sitting with your feet down on the floor after just 1 or 2 weeks. From all I have read here, and from what I have been told at my doc's office, recovery is really individual. It's hard to say in advance just how limited you will be and for how long, so it's good that your boss is flexible. Good luck!!

Old 08-09-2006, 05:37 AM   #6
    Prin
    (female)

Prin HB User

So much depends on the severity of the bunions, the extensiveness of the surgery, and how conservative your Dr. is. Then there's how your body reacts and heals. I recommend that everyone having surgery have a very frank discussion with their Dr. about what he thinks you can expect, as well as what you need and expect. I say this because my Dr. told me he was going to see what he needed to do to me in the OR, when he saw the extent of my needs. I didn't ask anything more. To my surprise, I ended up NWB in a cast for eight weeks, then couldn't drive for another three (this was my left foot, I have an automatic shift car). Luckily, I work at home and got through it fine, but I honestly don't know what I would have done if I had to go to work. There is just no way I could have been back to work in less than three months! I'm not saying this to scare you, I actually had very little pain, and things have healed well now, 5 months later, I just want you to know that every Dr., every foot, every recovery is different.

Also, if you find out the name of your procedures (I had a Lapidus and a Keller/Mayo, and a fibroma removed from the Plantar Fascia) and if you will have osteotomies and screws or pins, some people here may have had the same procedures and can give you more specific advice. The last thing you need is to do too much too soon. You can read some threads here from people who injured themselves more by not following Dr.s orders! Cindy

Old 08-26-2006, 05:30 PM   #7
    akitalvr
    (female)

akitalvr HB User

thanks, sorry i've taken so long to respond, i've been away from the computer. i would be able to keep my feet elevated at work and there's an elevator at work so at work i'd be ok, it's just coming home &getting home where i would do alot of walking. thanks for your help though.

Old 08-27-2006, 09:02 AM   #8
    mkl
    (female)

mkl HB User

Hey....another New Yawker! I can empathize with the stair stuff...my apartment in Manhattan is a five-floor walk-up and I had put off my bunion and hammertoes surgeries for years thinking I would have to butt-scoot up and down all those flights. I had my feet done three weeks apart in July and the timing was just right for me....I don't know if I could have managed the stairs to the weekly doctor's check-ups if both feet had been done at the same time. I was able to do the stairs from the get-go coming home from the first surgery on my own using only a cane for support. (I am still in the surgical boots.) Sure, it was and still is slow going, but I'd rather take my time than take a spill. Haven't attempted the subway way; used cabs at first and have now graduated to the bus. I never had anyone stay with me and managed fine; just stock up on everything beforehand. I still am limited in the amount I should be walking but the surgeon says I should be able to start doing local errands in the neighborhood by foot right after Labor Day...two months from the first foot operation. Good luck to you!

Marianne

Old 08-27-2006, 08:31 PM   #9
    akitalvr
    (female)

akitalvr HB User

thanks Marianne,i'm in a 3rd floor walkup and i'm on the top floor, yeah i think doing them a few weeks apart would be a better option for me. we'll see howit goes, i have a trip planned for January now so i'm thinking anytime after that would be ideal for my first surgery

Closed Thread