It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Screw Removal-One Year Later

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-12-2006, 08:11 AM   #1
    roz5
    Veteran
    (female)

roz5 HB Userroz5 HB User
    Screw Removal-One Year Later

Ouch......the only thing that comes to mind!! I had bunioectomy surgery on my right foot last July (bunion removed and toe cut & straightened w/permanent screw). The past month, the pain has been coming back, so my podiatrist did an x-ray and sure enough, it was the screw that was causing the pain. So...yesterday, I had surgery to remove the screw. She did it as outpatient surgery in the OR under local anesthetic. I must say, that was the most incredible pain I have ever felt!! The shots to numb the foot were BRUTAL!! I must've used every cuss word imaginable! Then, I could feel parts of the procedure and it really freaked me out!

So....now I am back in this lovely surgical shoe! Can anyone tell me what the recovery time is for screw removal? I go back to my podiatrist in one week (don't know what for......removal of stitches or dressing change).
    Does anyone know a time frame as to when I'll be back in a normal shoe again?

Let's hope this is the end of my foot problems!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2006, 04:35 PM   #2
    eko
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

eko HB Usereko HB User
    Re: Screw Removal-One Year Later

Those shot to the foot are horrible! Anyway, depending on the location of those former screws, I'd say six to eight weeks. The holes left behind from the screws need to heal now and leave your bone weakened until them.

Take care!
    ~eko

Old 08-12-2006, 06:02 PM   #3
    roz5
    Veteran
    (female)

roz5 HB Userroz5 HB User

Geez, I never thought about the bone being weakened after the screw is removed. I just assumed that all had healed. I'm not certain how many stitches she used...I think I recall her counting 4 or 5. My foot is just killing me right now.....almost similar to the first time around with the bunionectomy!!

Old 08-12-2006, 06:55 PM   #4
    jules3
    Inactive
    (female)

jules3 HB User

The bone definitly does not get weak from having screws removed..Its really just the wound that you need to be concerned about..im sure in 5-7 days you will be fine..good luck!

Old 08-13-2006, 10:19 AM   #5
    wakkochic17
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wakkochic17 HB User

it gets mildy weaker but not enough to put you down 6 weeks! My mom had hers removed earlier this year and it was only a short time before she was walking normally in a shoe. It will all depend on how long they keep the stiches in and how your foot reacts with swelling.

Last edited by wakkochic17; 08-13-2006 at 10:20 AM.

Old 08-13-2006, 10:34 AM   #6
    roz5
    Veteran
    (female)

roz5 HB Userroz5 HB User

How long are the stitches usually kept in? One week...10 days...?? How long is a "short time" before I get back into regular shoes?
    My podiatrist originally said that I'd be in the surgical shoe for 10 days. I go back to her this Wed. (5 days after screw removal).....don't know what for (dressing change or stitch removal?).
    I am a teacher and will be heading back to the classroom in a few short weeks (on my feet all day; every day). I just want to be able to wear a regular shoe and to be able to use the sustain pedal on the piano (music teacher)!

Old 08-13-2006, 10:58 AM   #7
    kimann
    Veteran
    (female)

kimann HB User

Roz~
    5 days sounds like a look-see and dressing change. I'd be surprised at having stitches out in less than a week. Recovery is always individual, and doctors vary widely, but the average "down-time" is about 2 weeks. I don't know about weakness, persay, but keep in mind that there is now a hole where something solid was. The repair may be weakened, but will rush to repair itself. Too, until it begins to close, there is a perfectly clear pathway for infectious agents. Skin infections are bad, but bone infections are really, really bad! When you are cleared for walking normally, you might need to buy a bigger shoe for awhile if you're adamnant about wearing a normal one, depending on your healing rate and how badly you swell.

Closed Thread