It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Did your shoe size change after bunion/hammertoe surgery?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-19-2006, 05:05 AM   #1
    mkl
    (female)

mkl HB User
    Question Did your shoe size change after bunion/hammertoe surgery?

I was thinking of ordering some Birkenstocks over the Internet (better prices than in stores) but I am wondering if my shoe size will be the same as before after all the swelling goes down. I used to wear a men's 9 and a half and then have to stretch the heck out of them to get the shoes to accomodate my big, fat bunions. Is it a safe bet to count on wearing the same size, just not having to stretch them?

Marianne

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2006, 08:55 AM   #2
    Prin
    (female)

Prin HB User
    Re: Did your shoe size change after bunion/hammertoe surgery?

Mariann,
    I didn't have any hammertoes, but I can tell you that 5 months after my bunionectomy, I still take the same size shoes. I don't have to stretch them anymore, though. I know that at the end of the day my foot is swelling in my Birkis. Also, my foot is not as flat as it was before, it is more narrow but higher at the top, so the circumference is about the same. I would probably buy the same size if I were you, get the regular (wide) width and you can always adjust the buckles tighter if you get lucky and the foot is smaller. I went to a store and fitted them, then got them cheaper on eBay. Cindy

Old 08-19-2006, 09:10 AM   #3
    KathJack
    (female)

KathJack HB User

Three months after bunion/hammertoe surgery on both feet, I'm very comfortably wearing my old shoes. Since it's summer (sandal time) and I haven't gone back to work (not because of the feet-- job hunting), I haven't tried every pair, but the ones I've put on fit fine. Many of them have stupid bulges where the leather had gotten stretched from my bunions, but oh well... I figure that I will get a new cool pair for my birthday in late October. I had asked my doctor ahead of time what size he thought I'd be post-surgery and he said same size as before or maybe a bit smaller. Good luck!

Old 08-19-2006, 07:05 PM   #4
    jules3
    Inactive
    (female)

jules3 HB User

Definitly the same size...have fun!

Old 08-20-2006, 10:22 PM   #5
    kalalu
    (female)

kalalu HB User

my shoes size went down about a half size. i guess i was buying slightly larger shoes to account for the extra room for comfort.

Closed Thread