It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Badly sprained ankle, 1 week since injury :(

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-20-2006, 03:54 AM   #1
    MoJo_Magic
    (female)

MoJo_Magic HB User
    Unhappy Badly sprained ankle, 1 week since injury :(

Well im a very sporty person, and i was absolutely devastated to roll my ankle during a tennis lesson last monday. Immidiately i was in agony and couldnt walk, a first aider came to my rescue with ice packs ect...once i took my shoe off my toes went blue and the boney part of my outer ankle swelled up really big, and i couldnt walk

So one trip to accident and emergency later, im on crutches for a couple of days with a non broken ankle (thank god!!)

This is my first time having this injury, and at the moment the swelling has subsided quite a bit, but obviously there is still a notable amount of pain just to the left of the boney out part of my ankle is a lump which is extremely tender to touch (i assume this is a ligament) and most of my ankle has come up in bruising...in fact an inch from where my foot meets my toes is green all over the top of it, including right around the right side (its my R ankle) and the part where my skin meets the sole of my foot is very blue and red. There is even a small bruise on the inside of my ankle!

Well i can walk on it, with pain, although it is bearable (just!) going up/down stair is worse. Im still elevating it as much as possible, but we are moving house so i have to help out, including moving boxes and heavy things

So any tips to help it get better? i LOVE going to the gym, some say im addicted and im DYING to get back in there...i was losing weight and now im not going i feel like a big fat flump!!

Thank you for reading

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2006, 08:47 AM   #2
    kimann
    Veteran
    (female)

kimann HB User
    Re: Badly sprained ankle, 1 week since injury :(

Hi, Mojo.
    I'm sorry to read of your injury. You're right, the "knot" is ligament. A minor sprain should heal with a few days of RICE, but more severe ones, up to torn ligaments, take much longer, and most really severe tears need more intervention. If you're still in pain after a week, you are not ready to be up and about, and probably need to see the Doc again. XRays do not show the soft tissue injuries, and it sounds like you need an MRI to determine whether you've stressed it and it needs more rest or perhaps torn it. Regardless of severity, the first line of Tx is rest, complete rest, not moving boxes and furniture and hobbling around. If it's more severe, you should be immobilized, in a cast or boot. I don't mean to alarm you, but there are a number of us here who have pushed through what we thought were minor injuries and ended up in the or. Additionally, many ER docs aren't experienced enough to detect smaller fractures, so someone with more experience should read your pics, or having an MRI would help ID this as well. See a doctor, please, and let us know how you do!!!

Closed Thread