It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• ankle instability and surgery - new thread

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-04-2006, 04:53 AM   #1
    jprinz99
    Veteran
    (female)

jprinz99 HB User
    Re: ankle instability and surgery?

Had a good visit - lots of questions/answers and touchy-feelies (my little joke about how he has a foot fettish). I joked him hard as he is starting to grow a beard (he got orferds to grow one and to not cut his hair anymore). All he could say is his orders changed and he won't know his location until on the plane. Hmmm, sounds like he needs our prayers. I told him to do well, be safe and to come back home in one piece.

The tendon pain is just that- he had to split the brevis (more than it was done during injury) so he could get all the Os Trigonum bone fragments. He sewd it all up, but he gave it "quite a beating". On top of that it is under/next to the incision - which is under the cellulitis. Thus, it is going to complain for a while and may always be a bit sensitive.

Darkened area and skin (cellulitis, etc) will take a long time, area may never be normal. He equated it to a burn victims skin years later, but not wrinkled. Ughh. My days as a foot model are over.

The tibial soreness is from the tibial osteotomy (never knew they did that). He said they essential take off a chunk of bone so they can bend the tibia, thus allowing him some room to get to one of the OCDs. Said to think of it as a broken bone, which it is. They do put the chunk back and reattach it so it will be good as always with time. I told him I never knew - he said to remember that phrase on the consent sheet - "and other procedures deemed necessary"

The foot numbness/pins/zaps are from some angry nerves (duh). The major nerves were not cut, but ithers were. Major nerves were just manhandled. He also found that the anteriolateral scope hole and the ligament knot (where he sewed it) is already covered up in scar tissue (boy, does that hurt when you press on it!). Will have PT do scar breakdown therapy; this is basically where they massage it hard to break it up. No fun! Will need to stay on Neurontiun for quite a while, perhaps always.

Foot is still swelling and turning purple/red when down. Turns out it is also mottled looking all the time which indicates a nerve thing (never noticed it, but I don't make a habit of comparing my feet). Thinks I may be developing a form of CRPS. He said this makes doctors say "Oh, crap".

All 3 Ligs and retin. are solid and holding, even thru seizures. Heel movement is almost zero. I thought it was frozen and he laughed. Said this is 'normal" and what he wanted and that heels were not meant to roll laterally to 90 degrees. Now I know what normal is

Up/down movement is good to him, he is very pleased with things overall. Said I am several weeks ahead of schedule. I thought I was normal to wimpy. Surprise, surprise. I have a Rx to start PT. It will be desensitization/scar breakdown, ROM (nothing strenuous yet). I am dreading scar breakdown and desens. therapy. He showed me a few things they would probably do - holy cow that hurts. I told him the whole point was to NOT do "x" if it hurt - he just grinned and said "but PT's love to torture folks".

Posted in Eko's post, but I now have a Floam brace and I can now try to transition to PWB w/crutches and boot, then to boot only, then into new brace as tolerated over next 6+ weeks or so. Wants me to try each new phase at PT and let them guide me. So far, I can only do walking with boot and crutches. My foot starts to complain after a while.

On a different note- my husband really wants to take this slow. Doesn't even want me to call PT to schedule appointments till next week (8 days away). He said we have come this far, I am ahead of schedule and he doesn't want me or OS to push it. He asid we are both rushing it and getting cocky. I think he is holding me back, in a protective way. I can't figure it out. 2 weeks ago he was so over all this and couldn't wait for me to walk again - now he is afraid to let me try and move on.

Sorry so long - it was a big appointment.
    jane

Last edited by moderator2; 09-04-2006 at 07:38 AM. Reason: old thread: http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=394412

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2006, 07:24 AM   #2
    eko
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

eko HB Usereko HB User
    Re: ankle instability and surgery?

Jane,

Sounds like you had a good appointment. I remember the scope holes and scar tissue. Oh, yeah, it hurt when my OS pushed on it, but I massaged them myself and broke down the scar tissue before I started PT. I remember thinking, is it ever going to go away because it seemed like it kept coming back. But I kept at it, whenever I was sitting around I had that ankle up with me massaging those lumps.

Your husband is probably being over protective, but see if he wants to come to your first PT appointment with you, maybe it will help him feel better knowing what you are doing. They aren't going to push you any faster than you can handle. Tell him it is better for you to learn to do things properly in PT than trying it at home when he isn't there.

I hope things continue to go well!
    ~Ellen

Old 09-04-2006, 08:49 AM   #3
    MFord1206
    (female)

MFord1206 HB User
    Re: ankle instability and surgery - new thread

Jane-

Glad your appointment went well. Did you find out who you'll be seeing while your doc is gone? I'll be praying for him while he is gone...it's great that he is willing and able to use his skills and go overseas to help our nation.

So the tendon pain is there to stay...great. Sounds like tendons do not like to be split and messed with, or in my case, have half of themselves removed. I was figuring the tendon pain would probably hang around for a while. And like you said, the tendon is right under the incision...that doesn't seem to make matters any better.

I had the problems with the scar tissue also after the last surgery. My three scope holes scarred bad, and were still painful to touch a year later. I also had pain where the ligament was sewn back on too. As much as it hurts, massaging the area does help alot with breaking down the scar tissue.

Isn't is awesome how tight the ankle is now? I remember when I got the cast off after the first surgery, I mentioned to the doctor that it seemed too tight...he told me that it was just right. I am super loose jointed to begin with, and my ankle wasn't that tight before I ever hurt it. I am betting that this time, the ankle is going to be even more solid than it was before, since this time he fixed the sub-talar instability too.

Good luck with PT. Your husband is just looking out for ya...does he understand that when you first start PT they go really slow, so there's really no chance of hurting anything. You need to get started as soon as possible to keep more scar tissue from forming.

My cast comes off in 4 days!! I am so happy...and can't wait to get started with PT and get back to "normal". I have now forgotten what normal is..lol

Anyways, have a great Labor Day and keep us posted!!

Megan

Old 09-05-2006, 05:31 AM   #4
    dianelev
    (female)

dianelev HB User

Hi Jane!

It has been awhile since Ive posted and I just read about your surgery. Wow! Your os did a lot of work! How long has it been since the surgery?
    I hope this will be your last big procedure. I had a tibial osteotomy done a few years ago and that wasnt at all fun! Does your os think you will need the hardware out eventually?
    I also wanted to suggest that you think about starting pt in a pool. I just joined a health club per my os' advice to start swimming. It has been great and it is a wonderful way to ease your body back into motion after surgery.

Take care!

Diane

Old 09-06-2006, 12:08 PM   #5
    xring01
    (male)

xring01 HB User

Damn, I thought I was the only one with Severe Ankle problems.

Thank God I found this board/thread.

I am 35. Had a Bronstrom on my Rt Ankle when I was 16. Had a Chrisman Snook to my left when I was about 26...

Now, Both ankles are toast. Yep, I ripped both of the surgerys apart. OS's look at me and say we cant put humpty dumpty back together again. Cortazone injections and say live with it. I have 18 degrees lateral tilt in the Rt and 16 degrees lateral in the left since 1997.

Anyway, I really screwed up my Lt ankle about 10 days ago. I think i tore the ligament on the Chrisman SNook in to....I can feel it on the side of my ankle. Its loose and I can move it around.

Anyway, on the way to see my Primary Care so he can recommend XRAYS and two follow ups before he refers me to an OS.

I am so sick and tired of limping around in pain. Hope someone invents a complete Ankle Repracement surgery soon.

Last edited by xring01; 09-06-2006 at 12:47 PM.

Old 09-06-2006, 03:14 PM   #6
    xring01
    (male)

xring01 HB User

Damn Im good

Had an apptment at 2:00. Dr. Doesnt even get back from lunch until 2:20.

Looks at my ankle for .02 seconds. Says he needs xrays, if they dont show anything, then he will recommend a MRI.

Xray place is down due to equipment problems....

What really ****'s me off is the simple fact that no matter what Xrays or MRIs show. The primary care dr. will see me 3-4 times before he refers me to the OS. Just so he can rack up the money from my insurance. Which will take me a month or so to get all this done before I get to someone who might have a clue on what wrong and how to fix it.

Because I work at a small company I pay $1300/mth for insurance. Just to get screwed over.

Old 09-11-2006, 05:42 PM   #7
    kimann
    Veteran
    (female)

kimann HB User

Jane~
    It sounds like you're having a really rough time of it. I sure hope it's not crps or rsd, but a temporary irritation from the trauma of the surgery. Can you get along ok with the neurontin without yucky side effects? I'm glad your Doc is letting the pt guide your progress, this is smart. The desensitization sounds hellacious, but needed. My pt told me the old whacking with a rolled up paper would help... I'm glad you're learning what normal rom is, LOL! Take care, and keep us posted!

x-ring~ I'm sorry you're having such a hard time getting to some results. I will keep you in prayer, and hope you'll post again, let us know how you're doing!

Ellen~ How are you doing? I haven't seen an update since you got back from your trip, but I haven't finished reading. I'll keep going. I hope all is well.

Old 09-12-2006, 07:50 AM   #8
    jprinz99
    Veteran
    (female)

jprinz99 HB User

Well PT is on hold for a bit, due to the Labyrinthitis thing {note in another thread about that hospital stay}. Tough to do much when you get unexpectedly knocked off balance and become so dizzy you puke... I figure if I was "ahead of schedule" before this drama that now I am on target for healing/recovery.

The PA will see me while my OS is off to Middle East. Other OS's in practice are also available for anything needed and they all know all about me. My OS left copious notes so all should go ok.

Just getting frustrated about the whole thing. I was able to put some weight on the foot for a few yards before the ear thing, but now am stuck using crutches 100% due to balance. At least I am still able to do it PWB. Getting a bit bumbed but keep telling myself that this too will pass.

Sounds like a lot of us are in the same boat, just at different stages. I know I had a boatload of work done and that this was a marathon, not a race - but sheez this seems like FOREVER to get back to bipedal. I am tired of not wearing pants and shoes and looking like a normal ol' gal. Plus, I am getting really tired of hearing "Wow, you are still in that thing (boot)! When are you going to get back around to walking? My broken ankle only took 8 weeks, etc" Like I asked for this or it's some sort of competition. If they only knew how I did more than simply break my ankle... I guess the sympathy has expired, eh?

jane

Old 09-13-2006, 06:55 PM   #9
    MFord1206
    (female)

MFord1206 HB User

Jane-

You took the words right out of my mouth about being ready to wear pants, two shoes, and looking normal. I was just thinking about that earlier, because I opened up my closet and saw a bunch of right shoes collecting dust. When I am released from this sexy boot, I plan on doing some serious shoe shopping...even if it's just for some new sneakers. I also have people tell me "gosh, you still are in that boot? what did you do this time?" It gets old. I feel like posting a sign on my back saying "FYI: I had ligament reconstruction surgery...take a picture, it will last longer" LOL I've spent the majority of the past three years in some form of cast, boot, or brace; so when people see me without one on, they are pleasantly shocked. Little do they know, the next time they see me..whether it be a week or a month later, I'll most likely have a cast on.

I wish I would have just broken my ankle instead of breaking it and tearing up all the soft tissue in it. At least broken bones heal, and don't require the degree of surgery and reconstructing that we had done! If people only knew what we've gone through...

Old 09-16-2006, 03:00 AM   #10
    jprinz99
    Veteran
    (female)

jprinz99 HB User

Hi everybody,

Things are getting a bit better, foot wise. Am putting a good amount of weight on foot while walking with crutches (almost normal weightload) and also taking short trips without crutches (@ 60" or so). DOesn't feel too bad except that every morning around 4-5A.M. my ankle talks back - loudly. I wake up because of the pain and find it to be swollen, red/purple and not happy. All in due time. I find myself itchin' to get back into PT {*@!# ear}

Slept without the boot the other night. Boy did that feel GREAT!!!! My foot hurt like the dickens the next morning, especially when I tried to put it back into the boot (it wanted to stay semi plantar flexed, not at 90 degrees). Funny how you get such bliss from silly things like that.

Husband is less protective lately which is good but also annoying. He actually said to me last night "Have you even been downstairs at all today or are you just wanting to be pampered?" I could have killed him! Now don't forget I live in a two story with very narrow and steep stairs so HE decided I should just camp out upstairs. After all, we have a huge bedroom suite with TV, recliner, etc, my bathroom along with the office all being upstairs. (and yes, I had been downstairs a few times that day - he just didn't notice since he was having a "veg" day) And this was all on a day I had had a seizure which is really hard on the foot.
    Hmmm, me thinks the sympathy has worn away, eh?

Of course he was "What do you need - don't go down those stairs without me" when I was going to go get a battery for the T.V. remote a few hours later...

Men - can't live with 'em, and can't kill 'em! ha ha ha ha
    jane

Old 09-19-2006, 12:57 AM   #11
    jprinz99
    Veteran
    (female)

jprinz99 HB User

Just a brag-
    Today I went downstairs and walked around the kitchen and family room doing laundry with only the boot! Had to use 1 crutch after a while, but I think my foot got sore and "tired" if that makes sense. When upstairs I took some short trips to the bathroom, etc with a "naked" foot. It felt odd and very tight - but good.

As you can tell by the timestamp it is not happy about it but who cares? I did it!! Start PT next Monday and I am loking forward to it. Also see ENT for ear next week, which is slowly giving me less trouble. I just decided that I would decide when I could safely do PT - so I scheduled it before I got the OK from ENT. hee hee

How is everyone else doing?
    jane

Old 09-20-2006, 10:01 AM   #12
    MFord1206
    (female)

MFord1206 HB User

Jane-

Way to go girl!! You're on your way to back normality! I am glad to hear that your ear issue has resolved enough to allow you to be up and moving around. Isn't it awesome to feel how tight your ankle is now? I was blown away at how stable mine is now...it's unbelieveable. Good luck at PT on Monday. Hopefully they'll start ya out slow, but be prepared for the soreness you'll have afterwards. I've only gone twice so far, and i've had to come home each time and ice the ankle. I go again Friday, and I am trying to psych myself up about it...Monday was a quite painful session, and I didn't enjoy myself...LOL But I know in the long run, I'll be glad I went to therapy and was tortured!!

Take Care!

Megan

Old 09-20-2006, 11:18 AM   #13
    kimann
    Veteran
    (female)

kimann HB User

Jane!

Way to go! Sorry it decided to cry "uncle" so late at night, but I know the rush of doing something previously impossible, and am glad for your discovery. Your pt should be good for you, as long as you're careful about the speed, and maybe let him know up front about possible trouble. Whoohoo!!! Keep us posted.

Old 09-24-2006, 04:37 AM   #14
    jprinz99
    Veteran
    (female)

jprinz99 HB User

Well I am zipping around in just the boot (no crutches) for most of the day. I tend to grab a crutch or two around evening because it starts to complain. I even cooked last night - that's a big deal since I have not been able to have my foot down for long. It still swells, turns purple and then starts to scream (the swelling causes the nerves to really flair up). I wish this part of recovery would get better! Saturday I did a short bit in the new brace PWB. This ankle is pretty tight (what an odd feeling!)

Start PT tom (Monday afternoon). Can't wait to start and can't wait to see the look on my PT's face when I come strolling in with no crutches. I was sooo hoping to be off the crutches by the time I started PT, so this is all good news. Slept with the foot 'naked' last night (the foot was naked, not me) and it only whines a little this AM but I got the best nights sleep in a month of Sundays!

Look out world - here I come!

jane

Closed Thread