It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Survived bunionectomy yesterday

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-16-2006, 04:32 PM   #1
    beckyn
    (female)

beckyn HB User
    Survived bunionectomy yesterday

Hi Folk, well I've managed to come through surgery with flying colors. My surgery was at 7 am and I was home about 2:00 pm. Glad it is over with. So far, I am surprised at how little pain I have. I'm alternating between Ibuprofen and Vicodin - so that may have something to do with it. I'm also laying down with my foot/leg elevated. The hospital staff (even in the OR) were commenting that this is the worst bunion they had seen. I'm anxious to see what my foot looks like. It is just bandaged with a split and ace bandage. I go in Tuesday to get it checked out, stitches removed, and then put into a cast.

I've got lots of things to do while I am laid up. Some co-workers brought in about 25 movies for me to watch, I've go a couple new books to read, a Su***u puzzle book, and of course play games on my laptop. I guess I'll survive.

I want to thank everyone for their encouraging words which really helped to calm my nerves.

Best wishes....Becky

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2006, 07:17 PM   #2
    KathJack
    (female)

KathJack HB User
    Re: Survived bunionectomy yesterday

So glad for you, Becky! Isn't it a wonderful feeling to have the surgery behind you instead of dreading it? Don't get discouraged if you feel a little worse tomorrow; for many people their second day post-surgery was the hardest. But not that different from what you're going through now, so just keep on with what you're already doing-- staying ahead of the pain with your meds, icing, and elevating-- and you'll continue to sail through your recovery. Congratulations. Hope you enjoy your movies, books, and games. Kathy

Old 09-17-2006, 11:46 PM   #3
    jeepgrrlz
    (female)

jeepgrrlz HB User

Yay- good for you. Don't forget to keep backups of gel ice packs in the freezer!

Old 09-18-2006, 10:50 AM   #4
    conniesplace
    (female)

conniesplace HB User

hey, am scheduled for a bunionectomy on thursday. cant you give me any encouragment. somewhat frightened as to the outcome.

Old 09-18-2006, 12:14 PM   #5
    wakkochic17
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wakkochic17 HB User

hey! glad to hear it went well.. keep us updated!

Old 09-18-2006, 03:58 PM   #6
    beckyn
    (female)

beckyn HB User

Conniesplace...the surgery was a breeze. The pain has been minimal and easily relieved with pain killers. I am seeing the doctor tomorrow to have the stitches removed and the cast put on. The hardest part for me is getting around on one leg and boredom from laying around. I do have a list of things to do, though, while laying low. I'm sure your surgery will go well too. My surgery was scheduled for 7am and I was home about 2:30pm. Good luck and keep us posted. Becky

Old 09-19-2006, 01:39 PM   #7
    beckyn
    (female)

beckyn HB User
    Smile Re: Survived bunionectomy yesterday

Saw the doctor today for the first time after surgery on Friday. The foot was still pretty swollen but I couldn't believe how beautiful my foot looked. I was absolutely amazed. I had a cast put on today which will be removed and replaced with a second one at the next two week appointment when the swelling is down. Also, the staples will be removed in two weeks. I can't believe the difference in how it looks. (The nurses in the OR were commenting on how severe my bunion was.) Needless to say, I am glad I am on this side of the surgery. To me the pain was minimal but the inconvenience is the worst part. Anyway, I want to wish all with upcoming surgeries the best. Becky

Closed Thread