It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• stepped on foot and numb toes- help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-23-2006, 08:27 PM   #1
    Jon7346
    (female)

Jon7346 HB User
    stepped on foot and numb toes- help

Hi, I was at a wedding yesterday. While on the dance floor a lady stepped on my foot, just by my toes- on my foot though. It hurt. I had some champagne so maybe it didn't hurt too bad. I moved on. 2 hrs later or so, I had a huge bruise and my toes are numb. Where she stepped was around my middle toe/ring toe area of my foot. My 2nd toe and middle toe are completely numb while the others are slightly numb. I MEAN NUMB!! It feels horrible. Its kind of irritating. Not horribly painful but the numbness and slight swelling is a tad uncomfortable.

Is it possible I am really hurt or will it clear up? When I put sneakers on I feel like I am trying to squeeze a loaf of bread in there. HELP!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2006, 10:40 PM   #2
    kehorner
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
    Re: stepped on foot and numb toes- help

If there is a lot of swelling, it can compress the nerves that supply the skin, causing numbness. So the numbness is probably just a side effect of the swelling. If this is the case, it may take a few weeks, but the feeling should gradually come back once the swelling goes down.

The more important question is why there is so much swelling. It could just be a whole lot of soft-tissue bruising and swelling. But it's possible that something is broken.

Rest, keep it elevated, and ice it a lot (20 minutes every hour). The swelling should go down and pain should dissipate in a few days if it's nothing serious. If it doesn't improve soon (as far as the swelling and pain), it's time to see a doctor. Also, if the numbness gets worse or doesn't start to get better in 2-3 weeks, you should probably check with the doctor.

I had a spot on each foot go numb after I did a big walk, because my feet had swollen in my shoes. The swelling wasn't even noticable looking at the outside of the feet, but it was obviously swollen inside. The feeling came back I think in about 2 weeks, maybe 3 or 4. It's a gradual thing.

Old 09-24-2006, 11:13 AM   #3
    Jon7346
    (female)

Jon7346 HB User
    Re: stepped on foot and numb toes- help

Yes its swollen, but not too bad really. Just the area where she stepped with her pointy high heel. I'll put it this way, her heel was probably about the size of a dime. The bruised area on my foot is about the size of a dinner roll. The swelling is more towards where she actually stepped. Its not horribly swollen though.

Where she stepped was above my toes and the bruising etends half way up my foot.

Thanks.

Closed Thread