It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Ankle Ligament Reconstruction: 3 Months Post-Op

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-08-2006, 07:17 PM   #1
    MFord1206
    (female)

MFord1206 HB User
    Ankle Ligament Reconstruction: 3 Months Post-Op

Hey Everyone!

It's been a while since I have posted, so I thought I would post a little update. Today I am 3 months post-op from my second ankle ligament reconstruction surgery. I am thrilled with the results. My ankle is solid as a rock...it won't be doing any rolling any time soon! I was released from PT last week. My therapist was blown away at how quick I healed from the surgery. He kept stressing to me how major of a reconstruction I had done..but that didn't hold me back! lol My strength is back to around 85%. My OS has given me the a-ok to get back on my bike, and I am back to cycling around 25 miles a day. I am now training for a century (100 mile ride) that is coming up in May.

The only complaints that I have with the ankle now is some lingering pain, stiffness, and popping. I guess the pain is a given...this ankle has been through it all the past couple of years. The ankle is also quite stiff (not like overtight stiff, but just generally stiff) especially in the mornings. Hopefully it will just take time to get over the generalized pain and stiffness issues. I do have some big issues with the ankle locking up and popping. It locks up and pops almost every time I plantarflex and dorsiflex the foot...the popping is quite painful, so I guess I'll mention it to my OS when I see him next week.

How are all the other ankle girls doing...Jane, Britt, Ellen, Kim? Anyways, just wanted to update everyone. Hope everyone is doing well!

Take Care!

Megan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2006, 02:55 AM   #2
    jprinz99
    Veteran
    (female)

jprinz99 HB User
    Re: Ankle Ligament Reconstruction: 3 Months Post-Op

Great to hear from you. Such good news that all is going well and that you got sprung from PT! I also have this weird catching in the back of my ankle, frequently followed by a big pop/snap. And yes, it hurts! Although it does make me feel more a tad bit less tight after it does it. Odd-

I am in PT still but have made enormous progress the last 2-4 weeks. My PT even commented on it yesterday about how they couldn't believe how well I am doing lately. I will post the latest update in my thread.

Glad to hear all is turning rosey for you. I am hopefull all the other stuff will work out in time. Remember - it takes a full year to gage how well the reapir worked and time to let the ankle settle down. Hopefully this all this is to your stiffness, etc.

jane

Old 11-09-2006, 02:58 AM   #3
    jprinz99
    Veteran
    (female)

jprinz99 HB User

for got to mention...
    25 miles a day - look at you go girl!!! That is impressive. And to think you wondered if you would ever be able to walk again, much less be working up to a century ride. Fly like the wind!

jane

Old 11-09-2006, 05:41 AM   #4
    eko
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

eko HB Usereko HB User

I am glad to hear that you are doing well Megan! You go girl!

I am six month post-op for OCD, was doing really well until about a week ago when I would take a step and get this sudden pain in my ankle. I would of course immediately lift my foot, curse, the next couple of steps would be tender but them I'd be fine. Almost like I was stepping wrong, but it was happening on flat surfaces and it didn'tmatter what shoes I was wearing or if I was wearing shoes at all. I had an appointment with my Primary yesterday about some other stuff and mentioned to her because I'd need a referral from her anyway. She had a couple x-rays taken, and I'll hear in a couple of days. A couple of thoughts of what it could be. 1.) Another loose body floating in the joint - was it an old one missed or is it new? 2.) Or because I have been working to correct my walk, could it be related to that. I was hoping that it would just go away, but if anything it is getting worse. How I wish my ankle could talk and tell me what is going on in there.

Meanwhile, I just keep going along. If anything, this just makes us stronger.

Everyone take care~
    Ellen

Old 11-09-2006, 06:54 AM   #5
    Beekermlady
    (female)

Beekermlady HB User

Hey Megan! I'm so happy to hear how well you are doing, you must be thrilled!!! I wish our 'walking lives' allowed for more time spent on this board, I really miss everyone!
    ~WTG Jane... don't you just love hearing good news from the doctors instead of all that negative?
    ~Ellen- I hope your doctors x-rays show something, and you can figure out what's going on and fix it! You can't count how many times over the last few months I wished my ankle would just shout out 'hey, you up there...stop worrying...everything is fine'!

As for me, today is ::drumroll:: 5 months post-op, and I was debating on whether or not to reply to this now or later, because I have an appointment with my OS at 1 o'clock today. But I figured I had to jump in because I might forget what I wanted to say to each of you if I waited. Plus, a review of the appointment gives me an excuse to stop studying and post a reply to you all, again, later!! Anyway, I think I am progressing, although now it seems so much slower. I am walking like a human (on most days). I have actually had to run across the street a couple of times this month, dodging cars, because of the crazy parents who pick up their kids at the school down the street from my house, and it feels really good. Actually from those short runs, I feel like running may feel better then walking does! In the mornings I am still really stiff and those first couple of steps are torture. The scar looks pretty good, it was a little bubbly but recently it has started to flatten out.

My only concerns now are: 1. When I rub the Vitamin E around the scar about an inch to the left (toward my inner foot) there are a couple of spots where I have lost feeling. I've read that's a sign of scar tissue. 2. Winter is headed toward the Northeast (although its suppose to be in the 70's tomorrow), unfortunately, that means snow, snow, and more snow. And on the days that there is no snow there is def. ice, I am actually dreading the first snowfall, for fear of falling.

Anyway, other than that, everything is going pretty smoothly and I will def. drop in later to let you know what the doc says!
    xoxo to all of you, it's great to hear from 'old friends!'

-Britt

Old 11-09-2006, 09:08 PM   #6
    Beekermlady
    (female)

Beekermlady HB User

quickly...went to the doc, everything is great! I only have to be careful not to wear high heeled shoe. The OS said that after the 4th month I could basically wear any shoe I wanted but that heels tend to make the ankle roll. So... I am staying away from the heels. He also said with winter coming I should try and wear hightop boots, that way even if I do fall I will be preventing injury to my ankle. And for the real bell-ringer..... lastly, he told me I don't have to see him for another 4 months (MARCH 8) which will probably be my last visit. WOOOHOOO I am walking on clouds now...

-Britt

Old 11-10-2006, 04:17 AM   #7
    jprinz99
    Veteran
    (female)

jprinz99 HB User

Wow, the old gang is back together again! You know we are finally getting better when we don't check the boards every day - hee hee

Glad to hear you are doing so well Britt - just put snowtire treads on the bottom of those boots

Ellen - hope they find answer quick and that it is a simple "fix". Did you twist your foot or fall, or did this pain just start all by itself one day? Hopefully it is gone just as fast. Have you been able to get back into your normal shoes for work?

I posted an update under my OCD, Brostrom thread. I did go shoe shopping last night - ended up getting a pair of New Balance cross trainers - size 81/2 4E mens!!! Wow, the braces take up some room, eh? At least they were on sale and the girl gave me a $10 off coupon she had lying around

jane

Old 11-10-2006, 07:02 AM   #8
    K_Lana
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User

I am very encouraged by your results. I had ankle reconstruction as well as a peroneal tendon repair and stabilization. I had incisions on both sides of my ankle due to the amount of repairs. this was done 2 1/2 weeks ago. I already feel better, but when I saw my ankle when they switched casts I got a bit nervous. Let's just say my ankle feels a whole lot better than it looked.

Did you have any numbness? My foot is mostly numb, especially on the top and the left side including my toes. I'm hoping that comes back.

Old 11-10-2006, 12:15 PM   #9
    eko
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

eko HB Usereko HB User

Jane-I wish I could say that I had some dramatic accident or fall, but this pain started up one day out of the blue. What cracks me up is that I say my Primary Care Doc and she order some x-rays. The radiologist looked at them and I got the results today. I was told that they do not see any changes since 2003. I am thinking to myself, what are we paying him for after the last surgery I had, darn well there should be some changes. Of course none of the x-rays were weight-bearing. I was told though that if it persists to go ahead and see my old buddies my DPM or OS.

I am back in my shoes for work, although I prefer the stability of my tennies.

Kris-when they change casts and you see the incisions and your ankle for the first time, it is just not a pretty sight to see. I am glad it feels better than it looks. Did you ask your Dr. about the numbness? Could it be related to temporary nerve damage from the incisions? Is it getting better, worse or staying about the same?

Everyone- continue to take care of those ankles!
    ~Ellen

Old 11-10-2006, 05:22 PM   #10
    lostmary
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lostmary HB User

I am very impressed. you are an inspiration to us all. I'm sure you'll do great in May. I'm 4 mos postop on tuesday. as they say , some days chicken, some days feathers. Getting over a hugh abcess in the bottom of the foot. doc thinks it will happen again and again. may need to go to a plastic surgeon for skin grafts. we will see, that is further down the road. right now I'm just hanging in there. social security has decided that I am disabled, so that helps some.
    keep us posted. really miss hearing from everyone.
    Mary

Old 11-10-2006, 09:53 PM   #11
    MFord1206
    (female)

MFord1206 HB User

I am glad everyone seems to be doing well! It's good get back together on here and talk to everyone again...we seem to have drifted apart lately!

Sorry it took me so long to reply back to everyone...I have been so busy with school and work, plus trying to work out everyday, I am never home! It's amazing how for a month or so right after the surgery I was trying to find excuses for getting out of the house, and now I am never here, and would love to have an excuse to sit at home and do nothing for a while!

Jane- I am ecstatic to hear that you are doing so well in therapy. It's been a long road for ya, with all the setbacks and all, and it sounds like you're doing better and getting stronger everyday. Our "popping" issues sound quite similar. Mine almost feels like I might have something floating around somewhere in the joint. I know when I had the first surgery he scoped it and cleaned up a bunch of scar tissue and loose bodies. With this latest surgery, he didn't scope or anything...just did the reconstruction. I think he should of debrided this time too, as I am sure when I blew out the first repair I was bound to create more scar tissue and stuff. Make those new braces your best friends! I will admit I don't wear my brace when I should...it won't fit in my cycling shoes. Lets just hope I don't run into any more squirrels!

Ellen- Glad to hear that the x-rays didn't show anything major. I know it's frustrating for them to tell you that there is nothing going on when you feel pain and other strange sensations that aren't normal. Sure the x-rays look ok, but thats not to say that there isn't something going on in the ankle. If it still bothers you, definitely go back to the pod or OS. You've had too much work done to that ankle to overlook any pains!

Britt- Wow...5 months post-op. It just seems like yesterday, doesn't it? Time has sure flown by. Be careful dodging those cars...dodging things is not good for ankles..LOL Are you still trying to hide that scar? Girl, that is your battle scar, be proud! When I saw my OS last month, he looked at my ankle, and he said "I am so glad you don't scar bad because I sure have butchered that ankle of yours!" I've got 7 scars on it, and I wear them with pride...lol As for scar reduction, I have used mederma in the past for a scar on my neck from thyroid surgery. It worked pretty well, but I did have to use it several times daily for several months though. Sounds like you had an awesome appt with the doc. In 4 months you ought to be back to 110%. Just be careful with that winter weather. Here in TN we never get any snow or ice, so that's one thing I don't really have to worry about. Some snow would be welcome though...

Kris- Yep, the ankle usually looks awful when you get the first splint off. Bruising, betadine, dried blood, swelling, stitches, the works. It will get better with time (and a good scrubbing..lol) The numbness...totally normal (in my opinion). I still have numb spots from my first surgery (18 months ago). Nerves are cut when the incisions are made, and since you had incisions on both sides, I'm sure many small nerves could have been damaged. Good news is that nerves do regenerate, slowly. Hopefully the numbness will slowly dissipate.

Mary- I can't believe it's been four months! Are you able to get out and see your horses now? I know how much you missed being able to be with them. I hope and pray you never have to go through anything like this ever again...you are very strong willed to still be in good spirits after everything. Maybe if you have to see a plastic surgeon for skin grafts you could get a discount on a face lift, tummy tuck, etc..lol Two for one deal?

Well, everyone please keep me posted. I see the doc next Thursday and will post after my visit. Everyone take care of those feet and ankles!!

Megan

Old 11-11-2006, 07:18 AM   #12
    K_Lana
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User

Thanks for the encouragement with the numbness. I compete in Karate and so numb feet isn't a good thingn to have! I know when I had a shoulder surgery 4 yrs ago that I had a numb arm for awhile and all but a few spots have feeling now. I hope the same goes for my foot.
    I was just amazed at how swollen it was 2 weeks post op. I would have thought that the swelling would be gone by then. I can't imagine what it looked like a day or 2 post op. lol. Glad I didn't see it then!

Old 11-12-2006, 04:18 AM   #13
    jprinz99
    Veteran
    (female)

jprinz99 HB User

Dear Kris-

Welcome to the club! Some groups have name badges, funny hats and secret handshakes. The fancy feet club has the distinction of bearing scars, frequently swollen feet (the docs add that as an option like a pop-up timer on a turkey) and for wearing practical, if not fashionable shoes. We are known to show repsect to the handicapped, walk at the end of the line (we are slow) but everyone wants to use our h/c parking priveledges. We can be further identified by the memorized insurance ID info and for having a supply of Ibuprofen at all times. When you graduate from rehab you get to make windchimes for your OS and PT out of the hardware, brace parts and crutches. {extra points for making bows out of ace wraps and gauze}

The numbness should go away but can take a long time, some of us are left with little dead zones but it sure beats that pain from day1. The swelling takes a long time (read months in many cases) but will get incrementally better. Altoghter for our little club song "Elevate, elevate, elvate. Ice, ice, ice"

All kidding aside - I hope you get great results. Take a picture of the "angry battle scars" now. Look at it on the really discouraging days to remind you of how far you have progressed. Let us know how you are doing and if we can be of any help. Heal well-
    jane

Old 11-12-2006, 07:28 AM   #14
    K_Lana
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Okay, that was pretty funny, especially the windchimes.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I did take pics of the scars when they switched my cast out last week for a fiberglass one. The first one was the good old plaster type.

I do look forward to better days ahead. I guess I just need to be patient.

Old 11-12-2006, 07:48 AM   #15
    heidi35
    (female)

heidi35 HB User

Hi! Your surgery sounds alot like mine. I had a peroneal tendon repair with ligament reconstruction. I was in a plaster cast for 2 weeks, then went to a nice purple fiberglass one for 4 weeks and then a walking boot for 3 weeks and now I am in an aso brace. I found the pain to be the worst the couple of days after the doctor changes things. Like now that I am out of the walking boot my ankle is very painfull with every step. Do you know How you were injured? Everyone asks me how I did this and i wish I had a great story to tell but I am not even sure how I did it, My ankle just started to roll and the pain increased weekly! Hope you have a great recovery!!
    Heidi

Closed Thread