It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Affraid Of Scar After Bunion Surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-20-2006, 02:04 PM   #1
    angels7
    (female)

angels7 HB User
    Affraid Of Scar After Bunion Surgery

I Am On My 5th Day Since My Surgery I am Concerned About The Scar The The Incision Was Done On Top Of The Foot He Also Put Stiches When I First Looked At My Foot I Cried ....Tommorrow I will See Another Dr To Get Her Opinion To See If This Is How My Foot Is Suppose To Look . It Does Not Look That Bad But I thought It was Going to Look Different Can Anyone give me some encouragement Oh I also Keloid , Thank God That Has Not Happened To my Foot.... If This Dr Tells Me That It's Not Suppose To Look Like This The Dr That Performed My Surgery Will Not Be Doing My Other Foot!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2006, 05:02 PM   #2
    bunion28
    (female)

bunion28 HB User
    Re: Affraid Of Scar After Bunion Surgery

Im sorry to be the one to tell you, but you will have scars the rest on your life, all you can do is make sure you put vitamin E oil or something to help heal the scar, I've had bunion surgery when I was younger, and I also had it again 13 weeks ago, And I have 4 ugly scars on my feet. Don't get discouraged, I look at it like this, Do I want bunions or can I live with a few scars. Well good luck

Last edited by moderator2; 11-20-2006 at 05:09 PM.

Old 11-20-2006, 05:19 PM   #3
    Grafiti4u
    (female)

Grafiti4u HB User

Hi -

I had surgery on my first foot 7 weeks ago. I expected the incision on the top of my foot, since my mom had both her feet done last year. I admit I was hesitant after seeing the scars on my moms feet weeks after her surgery. They were awful! But a year later I saw her feet and couldn't even see the incisions! She was faithful to put vitamin e oil on them after they healed, and you have to look pretty close to see them at all anymore. I was really impressed - and relieved since I was going to have the surgery done weeks later.

Like I said, it has been 7 weeks for me and my incision is still red and noticable. I faithfully put the Mederma on my incision, a few times a day, and massage the scar now that it is really healed. The doc said this is good so the incision doesn't get a raised edge as it heals, it sort of breaks down the scar tissue as it heals. The hardest thing for me is not the look of the insicion, but it is tender to wear shoes. I guess that gets better.

What exactly did you expect your incision to look like? Did you assume it would be on the side of your foot, not the top? I have seen pictures of insicsions being there - I was hoping mine would have been too, but I knew my doctor was good and I trusted him to do what he needed to do. I haven't had any problems with it at all - just have to wait out the final healing of the skin now.

Good luck and have faith- it gets better!

Kristi

Old 11-21-2006, 04:52 AM   #4
    jprinz99
    Veteran
    (female)

jprinz99 HB User

Just try and remeber that scars are like badges of courage or battle wounds. They give you character. Don't forget incisions/scars go thru a few stages. They start out red and mean looking, then turn a reddish, go to purple and eventually fade to a silver white line.

Massage and vitE (or mederma, but it can get pricey) work well. Scar breakdown is an option if you need it and regular massage should help lesen or prevent any keloids.

Good luck-
    j

Old 11-21-2006, 06:12 PM   #5
    dancing feet
    (female)

dancing feet HB User

I'm glad I logged onto this thread. I, too, am concerned about the ugly looking scar on the top of my foot. As a matter a fact, the rest of my foot isn't looking too good either. It looks wrinkly and it's peeling. I put a little Intensive Care lotion on it but didn't want to get too close to the scar. My stitches were removed 2 weeks after surgery. I'm 5 weeks post-op. I still find that there's a little staining on the gauze pad covering the scar, though not a lot. I'm still applying Neosporin. Today, is the first day that I am weight bearing on the left side of my right foot. Wow! finally a little progress, even though the big toe is still swollen and discolored.

I will probe a little when I see my doctor on next Tuesday re: the scar and when I can wear sneakers.

Old 11-21-2006, 06:20 PM   #6
    RightFootMary
    (female)

RightFootMary HB User

I'm 5 weeks post bunion surgery with an incision on the top of my foot, but I've only seen the incision at my doctor's office. They keep wrapping my foot in gauze with an ace wrap over it and tell me I'm not supposed to remove any of that! The first time I saw my incision (at 1 week check) the skin was pulled up in a flap and looked awful. At the 2 week mark he took the stitches out (about 6) and explained to his new assistant that the skin was pulled up so when it healed it layed down flat (plastic surgery type) and last week when I saw it (4 week mark) I have to say it looked good - a lot better then I thought it would. I do have the bottom of my foot peeling which is disgusting. I'm trying to get as much of that off as I can without disturbing the bandage. I can't believe I haven't been able to wash my foot in 5 weeks - gross!! I know I can't get it wet until I have the external pin on the top of my foot removed (hopefully next Thursday the 30th).

Good luck to everyone in their recovery - well this is one way I got out of doing anything for Thanksgiving!!!

Old 11-21-2006, 07:09 PM   #7
    dancing feet
    (female)

dancing feet HB User

mmarino -
    I guess you can't get your foot wet because of the external pin. I was able to get my foot wet the 3rd week post op. I couldn't put my foot down in the shower though because it hurt too much, but the warm water felt good on the foot. I bought a shower chair and that was a life-saver. It's tough getting the gauze bandages and the ace bandage back on the foot every time I shower.

I, too, lucked out. The first time in 30+ years that I'm not cooking. I ordered the food and my daughters will be in charge. (No pasta - only turkey; another first. My husband will have to suffer through it without his macaroni.) Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Old 11-22-2006, 05:13 AM   #8
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

"Afraid" of a scar? Surely that's not what you mean! At any rate, it will look much better by next summer. I had a cheilectomy and thought my foot would look awful by the following spring. How wrong was I? That was 4 years ago and you can't even see the scar unless you really look for it. It will get better.

Old 11-22-2006, 06:14 AM   #9
    angels7
    (female)

angels7 HB User

The Scar of course Thanks for the encouragement....

Old 11-22-2006, 06:28 AM   #10
    angels7
    (female)

angels7 HB User

Hi I exspected It to be on the side ..I went to the Dr yesterday and she assured me that this is normal But she did say that my foot was very swollen and that I Need to stay off of it I do admit I was off of it But did not ice it everyday Now I am doing That .I go to my Dr today It Has Been 1 week since my surgery I was not going to go back to my Dr because of the way it looked I wanted to get a 2nd opinion as to the incision on the top like I said she assured me that everything Is ok what a releif.. Thanks for the encouragement

Old 11-22-2006, 06:30 AM   #11
    angels7
    (female)

angels7 HB User

Thanks For The Encouagement

Closed Thread