It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Difference Between a Lapidus and Chevron procedure

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-14-2006, 03:21 PM   #1
    grandpa23
    (male)

grandpa23 HB User
    Difference Between a Lapidus and Chevron procedure

I am scheduled to have a right bunionectomy to be done on March 1. An orthopedic surgeon will be doing it. Now, my question is???? What is the difference between a lapidus and chevron procedure? Any incite would be appreciated. Previously, the orthopod I saw recommended a lapidus procedure. However, he left so I had to go to someone else. He is planning on doing a chevron procedure. Also, I have an allergy to Vicodan but can take Percocette. This new doctor states he can not prescribe percocette but can prescribe vicodin. Is this odd?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2006, 05:35 PM   #2
    RightFootMary
    (female)

RightFootMary HB User
    Re: Difference Between a Lapidus and Chevron procedure

Hi Grandpa and welcome to the Board. I'm not sure what a Chevron procedure is but I had a Lapidus bunionectomy done 8 weeks ago. The Lapidus procedure involves the 1st Metatarsal (the long bone in the main part of the foot). The joint closest to my ankle was cut out - the bones repositioned and then a screw put in to join the bones so they could fuse. At first the podiatrist told me I would be minimal weight bearing right away and then when he had to do the Lapidus I wound up nonweightbearing. I'm sure you can Google both types of procedures to find out the difference.

As far as the pain meds I do find that odd. I was given Percocet (25 pills and I only used 11). I found as I was not in as much pain as I thought I would be. The main thing is elevation and ice as much as possible.

Good luck and keep us posted on how things are going.

Old 12-17-2006, 08:14 PM   #3
    misfish90
    (female)

misfish90 HB User

A Lapidus is a fusion of the base of the 1st met to the medial cuneiform near the ankle.

A chevron bunionectomy is a cut to the 1st metatarsal bone near the big toe joint. The cut is chevron shaped like a leaning L (hence the name) and then the end is repositioned and screwed or pinned back together.

Both are common bunion procedures. Personal preference may be the reason one doc recommended the Lapidus procedure and the other a chevron bunionectomy. I had a chevron myself.

Yes, the Percocet/Vicodin thing does sound a little odd. I'd ask about that one.

Old 01-16-2007, 12:37 PM   #4
    sorefootsophie
    Veteran
    (female)

sorefootsophie HB User

Hi Grandpa, Vicodin is a Class 3 narcotic with hydrocodone. Percocet is a Class 2 narcotic with oxycodone, which is a much stronger narcotic derivative. Both contain acetaminophen. There are different strengths. It is strange that the doctor "cannot prescribe" percocet. Vicodin is a Rx that can be phoned/faxed into the pharmacy but Percocet must be brought in on a written Rx to be filled. The doctor keeps a copy. Maybe that is what your doctor is trying to tell you. Good luck with your surgery. Sophie

Last edited by sorefootsophie; 01-16-2007 at 10:23 PM.

Closed Thread