It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• what made you decide to go ahead with bunion surgery?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-20-2006, 06:38 PM   #1
    Gainup
    (female)

Gainup HB User
    what made you decide to go ahead with bunion surgery?

Hello, It's been a while. I'm still trying to decide on bunion surgery. For those of you that did, what made you finally decide? Were you in too much pain? I'm starting to have pain often, and I'm just freaked out by the whole thing!! I think the down time is what gets me the most.

Thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2006, 07:13 PM   #2
    Hoppy2006
    (female)

Hoppy2006 HB User
    Re: what made you decide to go ahead with bunion surgery?

For me, the pain wasn't terrible, but it was definitely getting worse over time. I was occasionally limping even in my most comfortable shoes, and I don't own ANY heels or pointy-toed shoes. I was also having pain after walking for just 30 minutes or so. My family history made the surgery pretty much inevitable - both my dad and my sister had already had double bunionectomies - so I decided to just get it over with before things got excruciating. The down time is definitely a drag, but soon it will be but a memory, and I'll have the rest of my life to enjoy my new comfortable foot (or feet, once I work up the nerve to do this again!)

Old 12-20-2006, 09:52 PM   #3
    Gainup
    (female)

Gainup HB User

Hoppy,

Are you glad you did it? I'm thinking it's time because my other toes are moving to the left and right. Yup, both feet are pretty bad. Were your toes starting to move to the side?

Old 12-20-2006, 10:02 PM   #4
    misfish90
    (female)

misfish90 HB User

I finally threw in the towel when my foot started dictating how I was living my life rather than just my shoes. I dreaded just going to the supermarket much less anything else. And exercise...what was that? I'd already followed all the conservative treatment options with great success but they were no longer working. Plus knowing that things were only going to get worse and that I could potentially be doing my joint more harm by waiting finally tipped the scales.

Yeah, the recovery time has been longer than expected but I can already get around much better than before so it's a small price to pay for a long term solution to a problem that's been plaguing me for years.

Old 12-21-2006, 05:42 AM   #5
    Hoppy2006
    (female)

Hoppy2006 HB User

It's only been 4 weeks, but I am already glad I did it. Before the surgery I photographed my foot and also traced around it on a piece of paper, and I can see that the difference in shape is dramatic. My big toe was starting to angle in toward my other toes, and now it's straight. The foot is probably 1/4 inche narrower at the big toe joint, with just a gentle curve instead of that dramatic bump. So, I am confident that shoes will be more comfortable once this is all over.

As for pain, I'm still having some from the surgery, so it's hard to gauge that just yet. However, there have been many moments in the past 4 weeks when the repaired foot has been completely comfortable and the still-unfixed one has been painful. I think that's a good sign!

Old 12-21-2006, 06:18 AM   #6
    BunionLovah
    (female)

BunionLovah HB User

I developed a minor bunion and severe arthritis in the big toe joint as a result of a stress fracture when I was 25, 10 years ago. For the past 3 years, I have been in pain. It hurt if someone just touched the joint. It got to the point where I could no longer go running or do a lot of the things I used to do. The night before my surgery, I went to the gym and my foot was in excruciating pain just walking across the gym floor after exercising-- I knew then that I was making the right choice! I had an austin bunionectomy with a cheilectomy (scraping out the arthritic damage).

In the three weeks since my surgery, the constant ache that I used to have in that joint is gone! I have other pain associated with the surgery, but the problem itself seems to be corrected.

The recovery period is no fun. It takes a long time because of the nature of the foot, and because with an austin bunionectomy, they are cutting the bone, so you have a fracture that must heal. I'm hoping it will be worth it in the end! No pain, no gain, right? The first two weeks were the worst-- this past week has been 100% better in terms of pain reduction. I went back to work this week and have felt fine, until today-- it's raining and the change in weather seems to make my foot hurt.

My advice to you is to do a lot of research into your surgeon. Make sure the person is one of the best at this type of procedure! Also find out before the surgery exactly what your recovery protocol will be-- i.e. how long does the doctor to expect you to be NWB, will you have a surgical boot or cast, etc. And plan to take as much time off work as possible! The more you can ice and elevate your foot in the early weeks, the better. Good luck!

Old 12-21-2006, 06:43 AM   #7
    mkl
    (female)

mkl HB User

Every single step was excruciating agony so that there was no choice, although I had been putting off surgery for more years than I care to think about. When my surgeon, whom I trusted and respected, told me I would likely be confined to a wheelchair in five years without the bunion/hammertoe surgeries, that did it for me. And I am so glad I had the surgeries and the doctor I did. It is like a whole new life!

Marianne

Old 12-21-2006, 10:18 AM   #8
    annamoon
    (female)

annamoon HB User

I have bunions on both feet and have asked many people the same question, when is the right time for surgery. The doctor says I should do it now, my bunions have grown and the big toes are angled inwards under the 2nd toes now, he says the 2nd toes cause more dificult surgery and I should not wait any longer.

I have very little pain at the moment compared to a year ago when the bunion pain waas quite bad. I then get to thinking if I have no pain why have the surgery.

I really dont know when is the right time, any time in surgery is scarry but eventually I will have to take the plunge.

I also find now shoes I wore a year ago dont fit me anymore and shoes do not last as long now with my bunions rubbing each other when I walk.

Old 12-21-2006, 11:05 AM   #9
    formergymnast
    (female)

formergymnast HB User

Hi! I had my bunions removed, both feet at once, when I was 17. That was a few years ago. My main reason for having it done at that time, was that I was having trouble staying on the balance beam. Also, I was about to lose my insurance (upon turning 18) & decided to do it before that happened.

Healing from the surgery wasn't too bad. Since I had both feet done at the same time, I had to be in a wheel chair for a few weeks. My arms got REALLY strong, since I wasn't allowed to put any pressure on my feet at all.

The bunions didn't really cause me any pain, but after I had them corrected, I was amazed at how well shoes actually fit my feet. I think that I was probably in pain before, I just didn't realize it until I had the surgery & was able to experience "normal" feet!

Last edited by formergymnast; 12-21-2006 at 11:06 AM.

Old 12-21-2006, 02:10 PM   #10
    Gainup
    (female)

Gainup HB User

wow, both feet at the same time? I don't think I could do that!!

I feel I've been putting it off for a while. I too don't have horrible pain, but I do have pain and just throbbing. My big toe is pushing my other toes over, so that's why I feel it's time. When I straighten out my big toe, there's a big space between that toe and the second toe.

I'm more afraid of the down time and not being active for so long than of the pain from the surgery.

I'm considering September, that way I'll be on my way to being healed when we move into our new house in January.

This is such a hard decision!!

What kind of research do you do? Do you ask for referrals from the Dr.? I live in a small town and choices are limited. I could get it done two hours away, but that would be difficult for post op appts. Ohh, so many questions!!!

Old 12-21-2006, 02:58 PM   #11
    dancing feet
    (female)

dancing feet HB User

I had my surgery 9 weeks ago. I wish I had done it 4 or 5 years ago when I was told the procedure would not be that dramatic. My condition only worsened over time and made the surgery much more complicated than if I had done it back then. Not only did I need the bunion cut but I also needed an implant in my big toe, and had developed extensive arthritis which had to be cleaned out. The younger you are, the faster you heal. I only was able to get my foot into a wide shoe; a size larger than I normally wear, about 4 days ago. I am now going for Physical Therapy as I have great difficulty bending my toe upward. The down time is definitely a drag but I'm praying that the end result will have made it all worthwhile. The most important thing is to go to a doctor who has come well recommended; someone who has been doing this sort of thing for a long time. If it means you have to travel a distance, it's well worth the trip. You need to have confidence in your doctor. Otherwise, you could wind up having surgery again to patch up what someone else botched up. Good Luck!

Old 12-21-2006, 03:13 PM   #12
    RightFootMary
    (female)

RightFootMary HB User

Hi - I've had bunions as long as I can remember (I'm 57) and I finally had surgery 9 weeks ago. I really wasn't in any pain from the bunions but the big toe on my right foot was crossed over the second toe and pushing up through the tops of my shoes. The dr said it was severe (but not the worst he has ever seen). He actually had planned to do a certain type surgery but once he got in he had to change his plan.

There was a lot of arthritis and I'm glad I had it done now (even though the down time is the pits) but I was able to ambulate on crutches and I knew the situation would only get worse in time.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Mary

Old 12-22-2006, 09:01 AM   #13
    formergymnast
    (female)

formergymnast HB User

You really wouldn't have very much downtime if you did them at different times (I think it's 6 weeks apart) Then you would just be on crutches.

It is a very hard decision. Best of luck to you!

Old 12-22-2006, 03:14 PM   #14
    debbie g
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

the pain was unbearable. you just know when the pain is too much. debbie g

Old 12-22-2006, 05:33 PM   #15
    quiltie
    (female)

quiltie HB User

I have to agree with many others. It was a quality of life issue. As a teacher, I stood many hours, and I was having to take shoes to school and change them every few hours so pressure could be on a different part of my foot. On vacation, by evening after a day of sightseeing on foot, my feet just wouldn't take another step. Walking is my preferred exercise, but my feet hurt too much to do that. Every time we went anyplace, I had to decide what to wear based strictly on what shoes I thought I could wear for how long. I was buying bandages, mole skin, and bunion pads galore, but they helped only for so long. If I wanted to spend the rest of my life never going anywhere, then I would have been okay. But I decided I had a bunch of years to live, and I was not going to let my feet the deciding factor in what I did.

I had one foot done last year, and the other done this year. (Last year I was non-weight-bearing for several months, and that was hard. This year I had a different type of surgery on my other foot, and after 3 months I'm good to go and do whatever.

A few weeks or months of being limited is a small price to pay for feet that don't hurt anymore, and that look nice too.

Go for it!

Closed Thread