It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• may have peroneal tendon tear

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-17-2007, 03:48 PM   #1
    terbear40503
    (female)

terbear40503 HB User
    may have peroneal tendon tear

I had my second post-op appt yesterday from my plantar fasciitis surgery and heel spur removal. I have been having ankle pain. I mentioned it to my podiatrist yesterday and he thinks I have a peroneal tendon tear. He asked if I was having any snapping which I do in the morning when I get up. He ordered an MRI to see. I think I originally injured it 17 years ago when I fell going down stairs. I missed the bottom step and fell a foot rather than 6 inches. I never went to the DR even though it swelled and turned every shade of purple. A year ago March I stepped in hole while mowing and it has bothering me off and on every since. I did go to a different podiatrist in June who did an MRI but when the tech went to read it the machine wasn't working. And then a few days later he called and said everything was fine. I did some PT and it seemed to get better. However, since having my PF surgery I think it has been aggrevated again by the limping. I searched it online and the sites I found said it was not common. I searched for message boards and found this one. I have pain and swelling behind and under ankle on the outside of my foot. And then pain along the bottom of my foot from my ankle to my baby toe. I wear a mueller brace that I picked up at Walmart for support. If I don't wear it, I can barely make it through the day. Does this sound anything like what any of you have experienced? I don't get my results until March 2 due to scheduling conflicts between the DR and me.
    Thanks!
    Terri

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2007, 06:54 PM   #2
    eko
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

eko HB Usereko HB User
    Re: may have peroneal tendon tear

Terri,

It could be a couple of things actually. Your description of it could lead one to believe that you have a peroneal tendon tear (I had a Brostrom Repair for a blown out peroneal tendon - undetermined as to when I did it over three years ago), or because of your recovery from your recent surgery, maybe it is due to the way you are carrying your weight on that foot/ankle. Lest year I thought I had screwed up my tendon repair, but it turned out that side of my ankle was bothering me because I had an injury on the other side of my ankle that I was compensating for. And even after I had my ankle fixed again, I had developed this bad habit of compensation, I was still having problems, so I am still retraining myself. Hopefully it is not a tendon repair and some anti-inflamitories and time will help.

~eko

Old 02-19-2007, 06:23 PM   #3
    terbear40503
    (female)

terbear40503 HB User

I have thought about that too. Since this is an ongoing thing, I think having the surgery has aggrevated it more. I also feel the tendon sliding over my ankle mostly when I first get up in the morning but have at other times too. When I know what it is, I'll let you know and ask for advice if that is ok. Thanks!

Old 02-20-2007, 01:04 PM   #4
    eko
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

eko HB Usereko HB User

Hopefully it isn't what you think it is, but if it turns out you are looking at surgery, feel free to ask questions. ~eko

Old 02-20-2007, 06:12 PM   #5
    terbear40503
    (female)

terbear40503 HB User

Thanks. Today was almost unbearable with the pain. It hasn't been this bad.

Old 02-24-2007, 06:11 AM   #6
    JinL
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JinL HB UserJinL HB User

Did the plantar fasciitis surgery cure the foot pain?

Old 02-28-2007, 04:45 PM   #7
    terbear40503
    (female)

terbear40503 HB User

I think it is too early to tell if it is totally gone but it is a ton better. Before the surgery I could barely walk at the end of the day. I have tightness in the incision area, my doc said that is due to the blood pooling and then coagulating during the surgery. But it would eventually break down over time and go away. As for pain in my heel like before, I don't have any. The doc cut 50% of the fascia, I think it was. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:01 AM   #8
    JinL
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JinL HB UserJinL HB User

My doc recommended surgery for the fascia,. He said I would have a 50-50 chance of success & would be bedridden for 6 months. I passed on the surgery.

What was your down time? What was the surgery called?

Old 03-02-2007, 05:54 PM   #9
    terbear40503
    (female)

terbear40503 HB User

The surgery I had is an open plantar fascia release. There is also an endoscopic version called EPF. I had the open because I had a heel spur removed. My surgery was Nov 15, 2006. That was a Wednesday and I went to training for my work on Friday and a wedding on Saturday. Other than that I was on the couch and only got up to go the bathroom. My doctor said I shouldn't do anything until Tuesday when I went back to see him so that would have been 4 days. I used crutches for a week and a half and then 1 crutch for a weekend and then went back to work. So yes, I went back to work Nov 27, a week and a half after my surgery. I wore a surgical shoe for 3 weeks and then went back to a sneaker. I didn't have any kind of cast or brace. I am a teacher (preschool) and think I may have gone back to soon because of all the walking I do. You can look up the surgery by doing a google search on "plantar fascia release". Ask your doctore more specific questions about the surgery. None of the research I did, and I did a lot, mentioned bedridden for 6 months. Some of the stuff that I read, said that patients wore a brace or an aircast after surgery. Presonally I think that would be a good idea and would help the healing. Ask questions and find out everything. Get a second opinion. The doc that did my surgery is the second doc I went to. My first doc wanted to put me in a plaster non-walking cast for 3 months. In my job that just isn't possible. On another message board there is someone who is trying the casting, but a cam cast that she can walk in and can take off at night and to shower. I am anxious to see how that works and may try that for my other foot. Good luck, anything else just ask.
    Terri

Old 03-03-2007, 01:29 AM   #10
    MillyMollyMandy
    (female)

MillyMollyMandy HB User

Hi, hope you don,t mind me butting in, thought I would give my experience of open pf release surgery.
    My surgeon told me chance of success was 75%, which he thought was bad, but I thought was pretty good as I had tried everything else for over 2 yrs without relief!

I have never heard that you could be bedridden for 6 months. I had the procedure under a spinal anaesthetic, and was home the same day after the spinal wore off. I did not have a cast, just thick dressings and bandages, and no crutches were given, just a velcro boot. I think no crutches was a mistake, as the pain was almost unbearable when trying to walk for a few days. Although I knew I had to rest, it's not always easy when you have a family to feed and no partner to help!

I went back to work after 4 wks, felt fine, though I didn't think the procedure had worked at that stage. The surgeon said it would be 4/5 wks before the improvement showed, if it was going to work. In fact it was more like 12 wks, but the improvement was great after that. I still occasionally get some heel pain most days, but much less severe and I can cope with it. For me, the procedure was well worthwhile Mandy

Old 03-03-2007, 06:36 AM   #11
    JinL
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JinL HB UserJinL HB User

Thank you for the replies. My doc said they had to cut the ligiments from the heel bone & reposition them. It would take 6 months to regrow the attachments. I just keep taking ibuprofen. This was 10 years ago.

I will look for new foot doctors.

Thanks

Old 03-03-2007, 07:26 AM   #12
    MillyMollyMandy
    (female)

MillyMollyMandy HB User

Hi JinL
    Sorry, I must have misunderstood, that is obviously a bigger procedure than I had. From what I was told, my surgery involved cutting part way through the ligament to release some of the tension and tightness, but not disconnecting and repositioning it.

10 yrs is a long time to be in pain, I feel for you. It might be an idea to get another opinion now, things may have progressed with techniques etc.

Wish you all the best, Mandy

Old 03-03-2007, 05:35 PM   #13
    terbear40503
    (female)

terbear40503 HB User

JinL,
    The procedure you are describing is very different from what I had too. I agree with Mandy about new techniques, new research, etc. Definitely go to a new podiatrist. Ask your primary for a recommendation, ask people you know with foot problems who they go to and if they like them. And it never hurts to get a second or third opinion.
    Terri

Closed Thread